the nintendo power glove thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by xtollo, Mar 11, 2002.

1. xtollo

xtollo TRIBE Member

God what a waste of 85$!?! I remember all the hype surrounding this bad boy, all about the christmas rush. I remember using it for half an hour, and sticking it back in the box it came in.

I had this friend tell me that he programmed his power glove to output a uppercut in Mike Tyson's Punch Out when he would raise his middle finger. What a bullshitter, you can't even program the individual fingers. Keep in mind he was probably 7. lol

Anyone else got any good power glove stories? Please share! Even tho Nintendo has already forfeited its reign over the video game industry I find the need to cripple them even more for this adolescent tragedy. :p

Jon

2. Cheap Ego

Cheap Ego TRIBE Member

not much as far as the power glove goes.
    However, over the past two months, my roommate has accumulated pretty much every Nintendo classic there is - aside from the mega-man series, those are yet to come.

3. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Nintendo had a pile of useless add-ons that seemed really cool in the commercials but never really played out in real life.

ie: the Power Pad.

If anyone remembers this, it was a pad that you would stand on, jump on, or whatever, and it looked sort of like a Twister board with coloured dots. They only release a couple of games for it including an olympics/track and field game, and... *sigh*... an aerobics game. I guess for people who want the thrill of a workout video, except on their Nintendo (it's VIRTUAL man!).

But the Power Glove looked really cool in Fred Savage's The Wizard. :)

Pete

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I used to have a subscription to Nintendo Power, and I still have my old magazines.

haha Pete. "The Wizard". My memory of that movie was ping-ponging around deep in the back of my head.

5. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

"Califoooooooooooooooooooooorrnia"

6. redeyes

redeyes TRIBE Member

that glove sucked ass. although it looked really, really cool. it was such a waste of $$$. i could've bought another game.

peace

7. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

i had that. :eek:
    it was the only way we could convince our parents to buy the stupid machine was that we'd be getting some exercise using it.
    i only ever had the track and field game that came with it.
    such a waste.

duck hunt was cool though. :)

8. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

if anyone had a VirtualBoy, I would be very very impressed.
    [​IMG]

and, yes the power glove suxored. i remember a friend having it and not doing too much with it. even though it looked super cool in the Wizard, but i think that was just because of fred savage. fred has a way of making anything look cool including young jewish boys with big noses named Paul.

--craig

9. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

no i want to see the wizard again!!!!!!!!!!! such a classic!

10. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Remember this one?

[​IMG]

Of course, Nintendo wasn't the first to come up with wacky controller ideas. Check this out:

[​IMG]

That one didn't even get released because it caused headaches or something.

11. noahmintz

noahmintz Well-Known Member

I had one of those ... it was the biggest piece of shit I ever got
    I think I played with it once and then sold it

stu

12. matty

matty TRIBE Member

A modified Powerglove makes one of the best performance midi controllers going. Plans are on the net someplace. If anyone has one they'd like to sell get in touch with me.

As far as nintendo products go, I have the robot, gun, and power pad collecting dust in the basement. Subsonic is right, the powerpad was a major waste - you'd always just end up sitting and hammering the thing with your hands instead of running on it.

13. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

The robot was a much bigger waste of money. the games it was used for were horrible and it really didn't do anything.

14. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

I had a powerglove..
    I wish I knew where it is so i could peer at is beautiful yet useless essence.

15. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

HAHAHA so true! my brother and i would each take a spot on the pad and pound away sending the little dude on screen blasting through hurdles and flying over the sand trap in the long jump. :D

16. Guest

Guest Guest

The guy in Japan who created the VitualBoy was a laughing stock of the video game industry and he committed suicide shortly after.

17. noahmintz

noahmintz Well-Known Member

Shit ... I was wrong ... I didn't have a VirtualBoy ... I had a GameGear ... that thing was the biggest waste of money ... it went through batteries like there was no tomorrow and the games were way too expensive

stu

18. deep

deep TRIBE Member

When I was in 8th grade I made a science fair project on virtual reality which used a nintendo power glove to interface with a virtual reality computer environment

I got an award from IBM canada for it

However the pinnacle of the power glove's history was in the wizard where Lucas says "I love the power glove. It's so bad"

19. twist

twist TRIBE Member

I bought one back in the day and I thought I was gonna take over the world in a fred savage stylee... but I didn't get a cute girl or win any video game competitions. Hell I didn't even get to go on a cool road trip. I beat a racing game that I had... quel lame.

20. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

[​IMG]
    I'll take "What is BAD" for 300 Alex.

21. Subsonic Chronic

Seriously?? That would be so bad-ass.

Pete

22. Subsonic Chronic

[​IMG]

http://users.skynet.be/P-ART/PARADISE/INSTRUM/INSTR4/INSTR4.htm

sweeeeeeeet.

Pete

23. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

I like my light gun for Duck Hunt.

[​IMG]

Pete

24. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

oh, I remember having a fun memory or two with the power pad.

me and my buddies had a couple of drinking nights, popped in the track and field and did our best to run and knock each other off the pad at the same time.

25. Guest

Guest Guest

Speaking of 80s toys and such, I have my original Laser Tag gun and receiver thing here at my apartment. I even have the belt and holster. Only problem is that I don't know anyone who still has one.

I'm sure someone on Tribe has a set and wants to fuck me up with lasers.