>>>>> THE NFL PLAYOFFS

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Klubmasta Will, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Preroller

Preroller TRIBE Member

Cool, this is going to be exciting....

Good points everyone, here is what I think.

AFC

VVVVinny and the Jets are in Oak-town to take on the Ray-das. Very interesting match-up. The jets had to beat Oakland in the Mossoleeum last week just to get in. I really am having a hard time backing a team that is QB'd by Testaverde. The Jets will be shoving C-Mart down the Raiders d's throats, and the Raiders know it, so I guess it's gonna come down to which O-line wins that battle. Someone was saying they didn't understand why the raiders stopped using Wheatly, and I'm with them? WTF? Well all things considered, I'm going with Oakland Raiders, because I like Gruden(he'll have a good game plan), and I like Tim Brown and Jerry Rice to step it up big time racking up 100 yds each or so.

The Dolphins are hosting the Baltimore Ravens. OK, in the playoffs you need D, Don't turn over the ball, and have a good runnning game. Miami, has a good but not Great D, and they ranked 28th in both turnover ratio and rushing. Lamar smith has the fumbleitis, and as much as I don't really like the Ravens chances of advancing past this game, I think they are going to Beat the Dolphins, unless they pull out some amaing trick plays and Feidler has a great day. But I'll say Ravens.

NFC

Tampa Bay is in Philly to take on the Eagles. Played last week, but both teams sat out their regulars. Real tough game. I like both of the teams. Tampa should have a good running game, and Philly's Duce Staley, really hasn't got it done this year. The Defences are pretty equal. Tampa has never won when the temp is below 40, and it will be in philly. I'm really tempted to take TB, but I think McNabb is going to have a good game, and pull oot some miracles. Philly by a field goal.

Green Bay hosts San Fran on the frozen tundra. [​IMG] This is going to be a FUCKING AWESOME GAME. [​IMG] Well, i was going to say the Garcia bit as well. I think he rocks. But for the Farve bashers......seriously, I don't think that you can question that he is one of the greatest of all time. I'll try and hunt down some stats, but I think he has played in 130 or so consecutive games!!!!! Thats like 6 or 7 years folks!!! [​IMG]
    OK, so SF has a good running game, granted, but they are not playoff tested. San fran D has been unbilievable this year, and I think they are a bit better then the Packer D. Terrell Owens is definatly the shit, love this guy. But I think the key difference is going to be Ahman Green. This guy had a great year, and has picked it up as of late. I'm looking for the team with the ball fist to go for a big score on the first play(Garcia to Owens) or (Farve to Schroeder).
    Waay to close to call, but I'm going with Green Bay, simply because their at home.
    Dave

2. redeyes

redeyes TRIBE Member

^^i totally agree. i couldn't believe they got stuck with GB in the first round. they have a chane to win but it's going to be tough.

peace

3. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

Green Bay "Tundra" is more like cold sod. It's often just as cold & miserable in Chicago or Buffalo. The mystique is more Favre and good playoff coaching. I have this weird feeling its going to be a blowout.

4. Jimi James

Jimi James TRIBE Member

Patriots all the way. The Cinderella team of the year. You cannot beat the heart that Tom Brady has! Pitts vs Pats to see who goes to the bowl, if things work out, will be a killer game.

JimiJames

5. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

in english, this means: remember when neil o'donnel's steelers came so close to beating a much more powerful cowboys team?

6. CO2

CO2 TRIBE Member

Werd..!@

-Chris

7. CC

CC TRIBE Member

AFC championship: Pitt vs. New England

NFC championship: Green Bay vs. St. Louis

Superbowl: Pitt vs. St.Louis

Champ: i want to say Pitt because i like them. we'll have to see which team is hitting the right stride at the end of playoffs.

that caps off all my picks.

CC

8. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

That was almost done with good run defense, pounding Bam Morris and an onside kick. The Steelers whipped the Cowboys up front that game. Not much trickery there. They outplayed them and turnovers cost them a chance to win it.

9. Klubmasta Will

the onside kick was a surprise onside kick. there were other unexpected things that cowher did too but i'd have to search for a detailed game transcript to give more details.

10. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

Other than a reverse or two nothing special from Pittsburgh. Doing the unexpected is expected but great teams stick to what works. Example: Denver's win over GB they only used 3 running plays. Dallas only used 5-6 running plays during their rein. Too much trickery is a sign that the coaches are scared and the team is unable to compete straight up. Trickery seldom translates into points and the opposing team is rarely fooled twice.

Dallas 10 3 7 7 -- 27
    Pittsburgh 0 7 0 10 -- 17

DAL- FG Boniol 42, 2:55 1st
    DAL- Novacek 3 pass from Aikman (Boniol kick),
    9:37 1st
    DAL- FG Boniol 35, 8:57 2nd
    PIT- Thigpen 6 pass from O'Donnell
    (N. Johnson kick), 14:47 2nd
    DAL- E. Smith 1 run (Boniol kick), 8:18 3rd
    PIT- FG N. Johnson 46, 3:40 4th
    PIT- Morris 1 run (N. Johnson kick), 8:24 4th
    DAL- E. Smith 4 run (Boniol kick), 11:17 4th

TEAM STATISTICS Dal. Pitt.
    Total First Downs 15 25
    Total Net Yardage 254 310
    Total Offensive Plays 50 84
    Rushes 25 31
    Yards Gained Rushing (Net) 56 103
    Average Yards per Rush
    2.2 3.3
    Passes Attempted 23 49
    Passes Completed 15 28
    Had Intercepted 0 3
    Tackled Attempting to Pass 2 4
    Yards Lost Attempting to Pass 11 32
    Yards Gained Passing (Net) 198 207
    Punts 5 4
    Fumbles 0 2
    Own Fumbles Recovered 0 2

11. Klubmasta Will

i agree. i wouldn't say that cowher *relies* on "trickery", he just seems to know exactly when to pull out surprise plays. the surprise onside kick in superbowl 30 allowed the steelers to catch up and almost win the game.

even though he's using kordell as a more traditional quarterback now, the guy can still pass, rush, receive and punt. if they end up playing a powerhouse like the rams, i would LOVE to see the plays they use.

12. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

Yeah. Kordell had a good year but not a great one as the sport media often portray.
    Kordell MVP?? No way. This current offense is a good fit. Simple reads where he can get rid of the ball quickly and his athleticism to find recievers who go to a spot that he can find quickly. The pounding ground game set his success up. Only New England or Pitts can challenge St. Louis defensively I think. Baltimore has often showed they can be thrashed when teams spread the field.

One play Pitts should use though is the flat screenpass to Ward - option-throw-run. Hitting a streaking Stewart down the opposite side of the field would be sweet.

13. joey

joey TRIBE Member

Wildcard:

AFC:
    Oakland over the Jets
    Baltimore over Miami

NFC:
    Tampa over Phili
    Green Bay over San Fran

Super Bowl:
    Bears vs Raiders
    (you can't say that wouldn't be one hell of a game)

14. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

It is going to be:

GREEN BATY BOY vs. OAKLAND RAIDHHHERS in the finals. Just you wait and see.

I would rather see Chicago and Pittsburgh. That would be a classic matchup.

Anything but the 256MB RAMS. I hate them bastards. Not cuz they're good but cuz Kurt Warner's wife is so Bugly that I hate seeing her dumb ass head each time Warner is hurt or something and the damn cameraman turns to her instead of some bimbo cheerleader which would be much better tv viewing if you ask me.

15. Redout

Redout TRIBE Member

ok all you haters.... jus cause my 49ers are gonna win, don't be puttin them down!!!!

49ers Super bowl? I think so.....

Redout

16. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

Where's the SB party? [​IMG]

17. JEMZ

JEMZ TRIBE Member

Da Bearssss!!!

18. Klubmasta Will

2 for 2 yesterday. [​IMG]

3 and a half hours til the big show. go 49ers. (geez, i haven't been this nervous over a playoff game in over two years - i.e. the last time the niners were in the playoffs.)

19. Preroller

Preroller TRIBE Member

Touchdown!!!!

Farve to Freeman.

They missed the extra point.

Well, I was 2 for 2 yesterday as well. I have the Pack and the Ravens today.

It dopesn't look like the tundra is too frozen today. [​IMG]

Dave

20. Preroller

Preroller TRIBE Member

Farve to Freeman again!!!!

Farve is playing beauty. Looks like they can pretty much just run this down for a score and the end of the game. Too bad 49ers. [​IMG]
    Dave

21. matty

matty TRIBE Member

uh oh San Fransisco. Too bad the pack are about to send you home for the winter.

22. DJ JayMcC

DJ JayMcC Well-Known Member

My Jets are gone [​IMG]
    But not without a fight...
    That was one hell of game last night...two missed field goals and a fumble the difference....Oakland looked good and if gannon plays like he did last night, I can see 'em in the Superbowl...

Today

Baltimore should beat Miami

San Fran. will just squeak by Green Bay

23. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

I CAN'T WATCH ANYMORE FOOTBALL!!!!

Every weekend....it's all the same

fucking satellite and your cursed football ways.

P.S go pittsburgh

24. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

i don't know, baltimore looked pretty damn good today.

Rams over the Ravens in the final.

25. kevinj

kevinj TRIBE Member

dammit, i did not want the steelers to be facing the ravens.

I don't think they'll have too much trouble with them with Bettis being healthy and how the Steelers dominated them in both matches but....

1)they have a division rivalry
    2)Ravens do very well in pittsburgh

Pitt 24 Balt 17

Superbowl hopefully will be Pitt vs. Philly
    *crossing fingers*

I'm a very biased Steelers fan