the movie thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by terrawrist III, Feb 25, 2004.

1. vox

vox TRIBE Member

here's another person on the jarmusch fan tip.

and another vote for "stranger than paradise". and of course "dead man" (william blake references! swoon!) and "ghost dog".

i recently rented "red eye" it was a horror movie that was rated pg...and BOY DID IT SHOW! it was totally boring and predictable mcgee and kind of a waste of money. and it made me think rachel mcadams was undeserving of my secret affections, which makes me sad. however, it did feature survivor runner up "colby" in a key role, as some kind of secret service agent/security detail for some obscure v.i.p./politican

on my plate coming up..."crash" and "broken flowers"

2. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

I watched it years ago and it bored me to tears.

3. eLeKTRon

eLeKTRon TRIBE Member

yeah, I was wondering if it might be three hours of slow-moving bergman-esque nothingness. Perhaps it's one for viewing enhancement via the herbals?

4. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

bergman-esque is NEVER nothingness

actually saraband would easily make my top 5 if i could relate to the characters better and if I had seen "scenes from a marriage"

5. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

The imagery is interesting, to be sure. I guess it just depends on how much of an "artistic" experience you're willing to wade through. I'm pretty sure I was coned when I watched it (I was always coned when I watched flicks back then) and it didn't make it any easier to sit through it after the initial interest waned.

Maybe I just didn't get it, though. That's always a possibility. Others think very highly of it, so take my opinion as what it is: just one person's biased view.

6. terrawrist III

for bergman it's the honesty in the dialogue and how his camera captures it...I've seen like half of Solaris but saw it at an age that I couldn't respect it...to be honest, Tarkovsky's work has been slagged by a number of people I know

7. eLeKTRon

eLeKTRon TRIBE Member

I was "forced" to watch Bergman in film studies class. It wouldn't surprise me if I watched a couple of the better Bergman flicks now, I would actually enjoy them.

8. terrawrist III

watch the seventh seal if you haven't...that's a film with great imagery!....it's the one with that allegorical chess game against the grim reaper(thank you bill and ted for making it YOUR idea)

9. vox

vox TRIBE Member

CHEAP SHOTS AT BILL AND/OR TED ARE NOT PERMITTED IN THE MOVIE THREAD.

sincerely,
    yukmouth

10. terrawrist III

after seeing that beef 3 it's now my fav. rapper name:D

11. vox

vox TRIBE Member

no way, guy!

yukmouth has officially been added to my growing roster of alter-egos.

12. vox

vox TRIBE Member

p.s. did you watch the same special on BET that i watched? where yukmouth and the game were supposed to squash the beef by making a tune together? and then yukmouth did his bit and (apparently, i haven't heard the tune myself) was all conciliatory, and THEN, the game puts down his bit and acts like a sissy and slags yukmouth?!?

yukmouth was HAD, guy! it was unreal! he was willing to be the bigger person and put it all down and behind them, and then that little prat the game had to ruin everything. i was so mad at the game.

:mad:

13. terrawrist III

'cuz yuk has no game and knows his role...not big enough to step up to the game

that was the worst installement of BEEF it that indeed was beef 3

14. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

back to Jarmusch.

I haven't seen his early pieces...been meaning to grab Down By Law.

I love Ghost Dog. Dead Man wasn't bad (i wasn't in the mood for it at the time, so i need to watch it again)... HATED Coffee and Cigs, aside from 2 skits that provided some relief.

I also dug Broken Flowers. I was in the mood for it and enjoyed the pacing.

15. terrawrist III

watch deadman;)

16. air-bag

air-bag TRIBE Member

One of my favorites. Quite different from the book though. It might be hard to understand without sufficient proficiency in russian.

Another fav. of mine! (Thanks James)

17. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

you're obviously a huge pansy.

kisskiss

18. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

not enough explosions in it petal?

19. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

i suppose this means you'll give me a handjob if i make a movie entirely composed of expressionless faces and awkward silences?

heh.

20. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

i'll give you a handjob if you can work a camera. ya hag!

21. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

22. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known Member

So apparently they cut Katie Holmes sex scene out of 'Thank You For Smoking' (screened at TIFF - the cut version's at Sundance and most likely wide release), supposedly on Jerry MacScientology's request. If anyone was lucky enough to see the TIFF version, it's probably not going to see the light of day, even on DVD.

It was a pretty hot scene too.

:mad:

23. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

so I guess I'm stuck masterbating to her topless scene in The Gift

24. vox

vox TRIBE Member

scientologists don't believe in sex scenes? whaaaa???

so i watched "crash" last night. what a load of self-congratulatory pap. it's main revelation seemed to be: "you mean...BLACK PEOPLE CAN BE RACISTS TOO?!?" followed by: "you mean...IRANIAN PEOPLE CAN BE RACISTS TOO?!?" "whaaaa?!?"

it's basically a very obvious, not very nuanced treatise on race relations that's tailor-made for oprah-style popular liberalism (ie. so people can wring their hands and participate in this weird spectacle).

i suspected it was going to be bad, but as usual, i had to rent it and watch it to see that i was right. don cheadle is trying too hard to be a "serious" actor, especially if it makes him take over-drawn roles like this.

you know what's a FANTASTIC movie about race that doesn't bludgeon the audience over the head? bamboozled. go rent that instead.

25. vox

vox TRIBE Member

to terrawrist III: the game HAS NO GAME! how could you possibly defend that nonce? according to my insider (aka zorak) he has a tongue ring! what kind of self-respecting member of the bloods would get a TONGUE RING!?!