1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the movie thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by terrawrist III, Feb 25, 2004.

1. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Checked it out at the Lightbox (i need to go there more often) last night. It's a lovely wee film that handles a delicate subject without contrivance or emotional manipulation.

The kids are fantastic. I'm always taken aback when a kid hammers out a heavy scene. The main girl and boy pulled off convincing scenes that'd shame most adult actors.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye TRIBE Member

I saw Cabin in the Woods tonight! IT'S A MUST WATCH!! It was so campy, and the dialogue was just so hilarious! I was laughing my freaking ass off through the entire movie! I LOVED IT! The trailer doesnt' even do it justice.. seriously. I can't really tell anyone what it's about without ruining the movie. I am so buying this. It was also cool bc the director, Drew Goddard, introduced the film, and he was available afterwards for a Q&A and stuck around for photos/autographs. Collin Geddes was in the audience as well, he wanted to bring this movie to TIFF Midnight Madness.. It just played at SXSW and did very well there as well.. seriously.. April 13th! GO SEE IT!
  3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Lightbox IS a pleasure: the screens are so crisp somehow, and you're spared that barrage of melded advertising that you get at a cineplex/odeon/paramout/whateverthehell.

That movie was so tastefully done: never any big emotional scenes, never any telegraphing with music: it assumed the audience was intelligent, such a nice change.
  4. workdowntown

workdowntown TRIBE Member

Also the audio on their films is not ear-splittingly loud which gives them a solid 10/10 from me.
  5. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

6. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

7. June 8th

Saw 21 Jump Street and really enjoyed it. It's extremely tongue in cheek and mocks the source material endlessly, but it still has a lot of fun with the cheesiness of the original show. Priceless cameo by Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise and Channing Tatum has really, really good comedic timing. Ice Cube is a blast making fun of the angry, black police Captain, with a fun little nod to his N.W.A. days.

Korean Jesus is watching.
  8. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Prometheus & the Hobbit are the two movies I can't wait to see.
  9. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

6 years too late but Last King of Scotland was fucking fantastic.
  10. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Almodovar's The Skin I Live In was creepy.
  11. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

12. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

I just wish they closed it with Hannibal singing "Running back to Saskatoon".
  13. wakipaki

wakipaki TRIBE Member

same crew did a movie called Les Incendies, couple years back, wow, its a super messed up movie (like 9.5/10 messed up), but definetly worth a watch
  14. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

brilliant soundtrack. really well shot.
    part 2 ?
  15. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

Just watched tucker and dale vs.evil. Can't remember laughing so hard over a movie. Gezuz. Well done
  16. voytek

voytek TRIBE Member

^^ ya, good flick... got around to watchin' Animal Kingdom - tight!
  17. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Watched Man on Wire and Once

Both were VERY good watches. I've been wanting to see Man on Wire for a while, and just never got to it. This thread reminded me. This was a great documentary told like a story, by a larger-then-life flamboyant high-wire performer. Loved every minute of it, and it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Once was an amazing story. The soundtrack was one of the best movie sound tracks i've ever heard, especially in the folk rock category. This was a romantic story unlike anything i've ever seen. The chemistry between the two main actors was intense - and [spoil] despite the fact that they never even kiss or end up together, you can see what they had as being such an important part of their life [/spoil]
  18. voytek

voytek TRIBE Member

The Sitter - meh, awkward, all the way to the end, skip it...

The Descendants - watchable, though nothing special. the daughter was good.

Midnight in Paris - not bad, I'll be with Woody till the end, but not sure what the hoopla around it was all about...

J.Edgar - a lot could have been done here to make it more appealing, but Eastwood went with the relationship angle - cool, i get it, still liked it - could have been better with a bit more action though.

The Way Back - Wow, like watching Nat Geo, beautifully shot... cool story, awkward dialogue, worth a watch but not required reading...

The Rum Diary - Hells yeah, anything Thompson+Depp=Winnings.

Puss in Boots - fun, gotta be the most innuendo-loaded cartoon to date, hence fun.

so much more to see...
  19. stryker

stryker TRIBE Member

wasn't expecting this to be funny but saw it anyways. Man was I wrong. it was hysterical. I love how they poked fun at the action cliches. JD cameo was the perfect way a cameo should be done.

The friend I sawit with was raised in a super religious christian family....laughing at him laughing at korean jesus...priceless

stew :D
  20. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

I finally tracked down a good copy of "Le Moine" (The Monk) with Vincent Cassel. I'd been a huge fan of the book since university so I was anxious to see this.

While the acting and the cinematography were good, I was hugely disappointed with missing plot points and an anti-climactic ending (compared to the book, anyway.) If French and Spanish cinema can't handle the depravity of the story, there's pretty much no chance we'll ever get to see a proper adaptation. Booo. It's too bad too, because the book is up there in depravity with the likes of Stoker's 'Dracula' and Shelley's 'Frankenstein'. If not worse.

Atheists would love its criticism of the church and religious failure, written by a disgruntled closet homosexual.
  21. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Oh! I have been meaning to watch that. Will watch that tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder!
  22. stryker

stryker TRIBE Member

Finally saw Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy last night. I great piece of cinema. Highly recommend it.

23. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Just watched Idris Elba on George S. Excited to hear he is play Nelson Mandela in a movie. That could be Oscar stuff
  24. Chemical Brothers - Don't Think is now out on DVD and Blu Ray - BR w/ 7.1 surround sound!
  25. stryker

stryker TRIBE Member

The first Feature by Seth MacFarlane

TED - *dying over here*