1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the facts about date rape drugs..kinda scary!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by mystique0217, Mar 22, 2002.

1. mystique0217

mystique0217 TRIBE Member

I got this email from my friend who is also from vancouver..please read this:

Important notice

A woman at Gastown nightclub on Saturday night was taken by 5 men, who according to hospital and police reports, gang raped her before dumping her naked at Neutral Bay.
    Unable to remember the events of the evening, tests later confirmed the repeat rapes along with traces of rohypnol in her blood.

Boyfriends, take heed. Good guys out there, please forward this message to your lady friends.

Progesterexp, that is essentially a small sterilisiation pill.
    The drug is now being used by rapists at parties to rape AND sterilize their victims.Progesterex is available to vets to sterilize large animals. Rumour has it that the Progesterex is being used together with Rohypnol, the date rape drug. As with Rohypnol, all they have to do is drop it into the girl's drink. The girl can't remember a thing the next morning, of all that had taken place the night before.

Progesterex, which dissolves in drinks just as easily, is such that the victim doesn't conceive from the rape and the rapist needn't worry about having a paternity test identifying him
    months later. The drug's effects AREN'T TEMPORARY. Progesterex was designed to sterilize horses. Any female that takes it WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO CONCEIVE.
    The crooks can get this drug from anyone who is in the vet school of any university. It's that easy, and Progesterex is about to break out big on campuses everywhere. Believe it or not, there is even a site on the internet telling people how to use it.

Please forward this to everyone you know, especially girls.

Moe Mahjoub Quarmby Lab Department of Biological
    Sciences Simon Fraser
    University 8888 University Drive Burnaby, BC
    V5A 1S6

2. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

that sterilization drug is fake.
    I remember that was going around a while ago and I looked it up.
    it was bogus

3. mystique0217

oh for real?
    let's wait till deep or timo comment on this..

4. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

5. mystique0217

woops

:/

6. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

I remember the first time I saw it I was totally freaked :eek:
    so I looked it up... :)

7. mystique0217

thanks, cheeka!
    i passed on the email to my friends..
    now i also sent out an email saying: it is a hoax..sorry! lol

:)

8. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

9. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

They should have used a better name than Moe Mahjoub.

Something like Dr. Jake Slazenger.

10. daddyiwantchocolate

Or Dr. Heywood Jablome.

11. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

that's what i thought, so i checked.

there actually is a Moe Mahjoub at the Quamby Lab!!! :D
    too funny.

this is him [​IMG]

this is his home page http://quarmby.ca/people/moe/

12. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

Moe! Forgive me for doubting you!!!

The Quamby lab, Simon Fraser and the medical community in general is a richer place for his involvment in it.

Dr. Castigliano Bhamareepatta.

13. mystique0217

that's so funny..i wonder if he started the email..or
    if this was a total joke for him and his friends (cause they must think an email like this is just so stupid because of their knowledge in chemicals and such)..

maybe i will try to get this dude's email addy from my friends who go there..

14. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

mmahjoub@sfu.ca

15. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Although I'm glad it's a hoax, still seems kinda sick to me that people would fabricate such a story. The only good that I would see coming out of it, is that chicks keep an eye on their drinks.

Which BTW is something that bothers me. When I have to leave my drink on a table at a club. I just don't like it. I try as much as possible to leave it with a friend.

To the ladies: DON'T LEAVE YOUR DRINKS ON THE TABLES BY THE RESTROOMS! LEAVE THEM WITH FRIENDS! It may seem overly precautious, but fuck! There are way too many sickos and too many fucked up things happening, to take chances. Guys, be gentlemen, hold the ladies' drinks.

Ming.

16. mystique0217

okie. thanks, rosey.
    now that i have the email addy, i will ask him what's up with that email...

update some info once i hear from this dude. :)

17. mystique0217

i heard from moe:

----- Original Message -----
    To: <mystique_kumi@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 4:27 PM
    Subject: Re: i am very curious to this content..

> i did not start this thread. I beleive the email is a hoax.
    >
    > Moe

18. daddyiwantchocolate

Kumi, you are the funniest ever!

^^ made me howl!

19. mystique0217

heh, call me : geekest geek ever! ;)

20. CIRCE (Sir C)

CIRCE (Sir C) TRIBE Member

"DON'T LEAVE YOUR DRINKS ON THE TABLES BY THE RESTROOMS!"

While it's not my intention to undermine the intent of this thread...don't believe the hype...more than 70% of sexual assault involves alcohol, so what's the real "rape drug":confused:

21. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

seriously though...

what's the deal with the so called 'date-rape drugs'?

my roomate did a big paper last term for his criminology masters about how the date-rape drug phenomenon is largely a scare tactic perpetuated by the religious right and government groups to increase fear and male dependance in women.

when i trained as a bar manager i was told that there has never been a documented case of rohypnol being slipped into a drink in canada.

i know people who have been 'accidently' g'd, but usually through their own carelessness - picking up the wrong water bottle or asking somebody who was g'd out for water at a party (stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, always have your own water or share with a trusted friend). the cases that i know about have not involved any sort of sexual assualt.

so what's the situation? has anybody heard of a documented case of a date rape drug being maliciously administered to somebody?

i did a search for some statistics but only found page after page after page of scare tactic propaganda, outright lies, and misinformation from campus helath networks and US dept. of justice "fact" sheets.

22. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

Excellent questions Rosey, I think you should email Dr. Moe or Dr. Heywood Jablome for the answers.

23. quantumdj

quantumdj TRIBE Member

Re: seriously though...

Yes. A close relative of mine. She doesnt remember a damn thing. She went to the hospital afterwards, but I forget what she said they found. She is very traumatized about it so I dont feel like asking her. All I can tell you is yes, it does happen.

24. noisy

noisy TRIBE Member

<------ applauds ol'skool and rosey!!!!

I agree Rosey, I think it is largely a scare tactic. But I do think it happens, albeit rarely. I say this because I work at a rape crisis centre and have come across a couple of people whose experiences were analogous with being drugged. Yes, there have been no documented cases, but we need to keep in mind that the vast majority of sexual assaults are unreported, and in the possible drugging incidents I know of, the survivors had no recollection of the event, so they weren't even sure if they were assaulted and were too afraid and ashamed to go to the police.

All that being said, I really do think it's a scare tactic. Women are told to fear the stranger rapist lurking in the bushes and people slipping stuff in their drinks at clubs and augment their behaviour accordingly, when all statistics I have ever encountered plus my own personal experience at the crisis centre indicate that the vast majority of male on female sexual assaults are committed by someone the victim already knows and who has gained the woman's trust. Not to say that everyone should leave their drinks unattended and fear their male friends instead, but it is something that women could keep in mind when making assessments of the risk in their lives.

Personally, I try to be prudent in my decisions, but I am not willing to allow fear rule my life, because to me that's not living.

25. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

I still wonder how anyone can claim that GHB is tasteless. :barf: