1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

the cool nerd facts thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by t-boy, Jan 24, 2002.

1. t-boy

t-boy TRIBE Member

post here interesting science facts and discoveries, and other shit that some of the board nerds might enjoy

Here's my contribution (couldn't think of anything better now - this is from Discover magazine)

Because a black hole gobbles everything in its path, you'd think it would always get bigger. But in Octover 2001, European astronomers discovered a spinning black hole that's losing steam - it's tangled up in a magnetic field. That field slows the black hole's spin, which transfers the energy to a surrounding cloud of gas.

2. Cheap Ego

Cheap Ego TRIBE Member

So, what happens when the black hole stops twirling? Does it spit everything back out, kinda like after a night of partying?

3. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

awwww..thats not gonna come down for days!!! curse the man who invented helium! curse Peter de Cezar!

4. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

we all know that travelling at or near the speed of light is a dificult task, specially in order to make controlled voyages through time.

Basically, the closer we travel at the speed of light, the slower time travels, so if we make a full circle at said speed and return to earth, we'll have lived a shorter time than those on earth, hence we'll have travelled forward in time.

Now this is just fine and dandy, until you start packing your ship and there's no more room for rations. So why not take the easyer approach?

Due to the powerful suction of a blackhole, everything, including matter, light, space and therefore time get's sucked into it's centre. Time accelerates as it nears the centre of the blackhole. Now the event horizon, is the basically the point of no return of a black hole. That point where there's no way for escape because the suction is too strong.

By hopping into a spaceship and positioning yourself near the event horizon (a place in space where everything travels faster than normal, including time) one has the ability to travel not back, but slower in time.

Due to the fact that your time is rapidly increasing, and say earthtime stay's it's steadyself, altho ticking away SLOWER than yours, when you return to earth, you should have aged far more than your earthly companions.

err... i think that's right... it's all from memory.. i hope it's right.. i dont wanna have to take out my books.

[​IMG]

5. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

It takes 14 muscles to smile...

Or 1 stick of Trident! [​IMG]

6. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

not only that but the kuiper belt represents a vast store of organic compounds and other useful substances that would be extremely important in making the step from solar system to interstellar space.

new kuiper belt objects are being found all the time.

the pluto-charon system is probably a good example of what KBOs are (though they are technically trans-neptunian objects - pluto-charon sometimes orbits within neptune's orbit making the blue giant the furthest planet from the sun). neptune's moon triton orbits retrogade, suggesting that it is a relatively recent acquisition.

size comparison:

[​IMG]

KBOs are normally observed by looking at spaces that represent orbital resonances with the major planets.

7. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

pierre jules cesar janssen

8. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

haha yah. i couldnt remember what his name was..good work [​IMG]

9. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

http://www.sciam.com/0596issue/0596jewitt.html

[​IMG]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

The earth has seasons because of the tilt of the earth. The seasons are most pronounced at the polar regions because the north and south pole get very low and very high angle sunlight at the solstices.

During winter solstice in the northern hemisphere, the north pole is at its furthest from the sun and the south at its closest. That means that up here in Canada, we get lower angle sunrays and less time in the sun, making it colder. In the summer, the earth spins on an axis where the north pole is tilted toward the sun, making the days long, and the angle of sun penetration near perpendicular, so less rays reflect into the atmosphere, and more are absorbed.

The equatorial region always gets nearly direct sunlight, at a near-perpendicular angle, which warms it all the time.

I just say this, cuz it seems many people think the seasons are caused by the distance between the sun and the earth. We're in an eliptical orbit that is not in synch with the seasons, making that claim impossible. Also, it wouldn't explain different seasonal temperatures on earth during any one time.

I'm such a geek. This thread had my name all over it. [​IMG] And this is how I enjoy spending my lunch. Oh. My. God.

11. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

Nifty article disputing the existance of black holes, hypothesizing 'gravastars' instead, and suggesting that our entire universe might be contained within one.
    http://www.cosmiverse.com/space01170204.html

dan.

12. Cannabus

Cannabus TRIBE Member

The Philedelphia Project

If you have not read up on this I suggest you do..Very cool info on the first cloaking ships.

Cheers,
    Randy

13. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

not all nerds are science nerds:

- ewan mcgregor says 'attack of the clones' will be much better than 'the phantom menace'. fanboys everywhere simultaneously pee their respective pants.

- the script for star trek 10 is getting excellent reviews.

- the directors cut of 'lord of the rings' is coming out july 26 (tentatively) and will contain 45 minutes of additional footage.

- 'the matrix reloaded' is scheduled for march 2003 and 'the matrix revolutions' is scheduled for november 2003.

- spielberg and harrison ford have confirmed plans to start work on 'indiana jones 4' as soon as spielberg completes his current project (which is his next project after 'minority report' with tom cruise).

- 'dk 2 - the dark knight strikes back' - frank miller's sequel to 'the dark knight returns' (arguably the most respected comic book story of the last 2 decades) - is in stores now.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I bet the science nerds could beat up the movie nerds.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

The only cool nerds there are:

[​IMG]

16. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

whatever man!

evil dynovac has a level 5 wizard rating.

we'll mess you up. [​IMG]

17. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

Man, I can't wait for Indiana Jones. Harrison Ford is like 59, and he's still pretty hot.

Men get better with age. Mmmm Mmmmm.

18. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

so do women...mmmmm angela lansbury

19. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

HAHhahahaha

20. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Science nerds and movie nerds are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

21. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

This is one of those things you get in the e-mail. I don't know how valid some of these are.

Wearing headphones for just an hour will

It is impossible to lick your elbow.
    A crocodile can't stick it's tongue out.
    A shrimp's heart is in their head.
    People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze,your heart stops for a milli-second.
    In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand (or attempted to do so - apart from Bones ).
    It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.
    A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
    Between 1937 and 1945 Heinz produced a version of Alphagetti Spaghetti especially for the German market that consisted solely of little pasta swastikas.
    On average, a human being will have sex more than 3,000 times and spend two weeks kissing in their lifetime.
    More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.
    Rats and horses can't vomit.
    The ''sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick'' is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.
    If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die. if you keep your eyes open by force, they will pop out.
    Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.
    Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
    In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.
    The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.
    Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.
    A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.
    23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.
    In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders.
    Most lipstick contains fish scales.
    Cat's urine glows under a black-light.
    Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.

22. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

for the astro-geeks, check this out... a paper published by someone at york/queens all about CRUINTHE - the earth's clockwork companion. it shares earth's orbit! tis a strange process, check it out:

http://www.astro.queensu.ca/~wiegert/3753/3753.html

23. Guest

Guest Guest

LOL!!

24. smile

smile TRIBE Member

ummm....

yeah.

25. air-bag

air-bag TRIBE Member

Nononono
    go back to science/astronomy.. i have a long nite shift @ work... i need reading material!!

Jeff?
    anyone?

post something interesting!!