Televisions

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Guest, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Me not respond to a TV thread? That's impossbile!

I am not a fan of the WEGA TVs at all. For the money you pay, the picture is very grainy.

My suggestion: pick up and XBR if you have the money. If you don't, then put your cash towards a Hitachi or Panasonic set. Better picture for your money if you are in and around the $1,500 price range.

I am sure I'll get arguements from those than own WEGA TVs about how they are "the best", but when it comes to the actual quality of the picture, those "black bars" inbetween the pixels are very noticeable.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

2. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I just bough a 30" Samsung

-Flat Screen
    -Wide Screen
    -Progressive Scan

I'm so satisfied with my new TV...

It has everything

-Nick

3. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

BTW, the appropriate TV size is dependant mainly on the distance you will be sitting from it. If you have a large room, a 32 or 36 inch unit is great. But if you are sitting only 7-8 feet from your TV, then that is too big and will strain your eyes.

But for most rooms, a 27 inch TV will be adequate.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

4. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

well, think 13 inches times 2, and there you go.

Bias

5. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Not quite. A 27 inch TV has more than 4x the screen surface area of a 13 inch TV.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

6. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

I have it in my bedroom and yes its very big for my room. Its perfect.

Soundstream: boo-urns to you for dissing my tv. Sony is good. I like sony. boo-urns.

jeremy -very defensive about sony- jiv

7. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I like Sony too. I have one myself. But I dislike the WEGA series and feel it is over-priced and plays up the "it's a Sony flat screen" angle as its main selling feature.

Put an Sony XBR series TV next to a WEGA series TV and compare the two. You instantly notice how crappy the WEGA's picture is.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

8. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I aggree.

9. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

I'm only pissed cause I know you are right. The XBR is one beautiful TV. I just find that its best to use all one brand for a system to avoid problems. I find that Sony has the best complete package of products.

If you know what you are doing then you can mix and match but I wouldn't suggest that to to many people. And then there is the problem of even finding the components you want. Pain in the ass.

jeremy -tech audio junkie- jive

10. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Huh? That's the whole point of "component" systems. You can use any components that you like. Hooking a Harman/Kardon DVD player up to a Sony TV is no different than hooking up a Sony DVD player to a Sony TV.

Selecting a receiver, speakers, television, and DVD player are all independent choices for the most part. All that is required to connect them are standardized cables. There are the very rare compatibility problems that can crop up when matching certain DVD players to certain receivers, but for 99% of the combinations out there, everything will work fine.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

11. Guest

Guest Guest

oh god -- where do you find the sony xbr's televisions?

12. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

The Sony Store. www.sony.com .... I believe they may have a card as well.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

^^^
    those are american prices

14. junglisthead

junglisthead TRIBE Member

hey...........the brick is better in electronics than you think

and on top of it, the brick will competitive price match against future shop price..........

plus you can use the option of not paying till 2003

junglegirl if you have any questions about your brick card or your purchase, email me and ill help you out

15. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Recommended items:

Good (32 inch)
    Better (36 inch)
    Best (40 inch)

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

16. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

they do have a canadian site I just dont know it....

[​IMG] Droool

17. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

^^^ Sounds like someones an employee looking for some commission!!

18. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

http://www.sony.ca/home.html

19. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I posted some links to the Canadian prices of the XBR series.

Yeah, I debated on wether or not to get that model. Nice large screen, but it is still a rear projection model (but still the best rear-projection I have ever seen). In the end, I decided to go with the lasrgest picture tube that was available at the time in the XBR series (36 inch). Of course now they have a 40 inch out. Anyone wanna buy a used TV? LOL

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

20. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I give you 50 dollah!

21. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

22. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

I should have clarified. The TV is a big part of it as its the end visual medium. If you're tv only takes an rca imput then its not the greatest thing to build a home theatre around. S-video is good but component is better. Most people understand that. With the amp there are a few things to consider. Does it take a digital imput? Does it configure for smaller speaker applications like satellite speakers? That was one of my deciding factors. Theres just a lot of little things to consider.

jeremy -so many little decisions one big choice- jive

23. junglisthead

junglisthead TRIBE Member

theres not much room, with electronics, basically the sale price is close to cost and that is with all electronic manufacturers

the most you can push is an extra 50 off, and thats if your lucky

24. Guest

Guest Guest

25. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member