1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Technics Headphones

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by funkNstyle, Mar 15, 2002.

1. funkNstyle

funkNstyle TRIBE Member

The black and silver ones. I heard they got re-called cuz they were goin all whacko.

But i need new ones (had the black and purple) So i need to know if anyone has these or has used them? Any good? any problems?

keep ur Sony crap outta my thread too! :p

Jonny

2. TheLiquidFairy

TheLiquidFairy TRIBE Member

I remember Misstress Barbara had the Black and Purple ones at Bittersweet so I figure they must be pretty darn good!
    As far as the silver ones I heard the same.. not too sure why...

Sorry I'm not much of a help I know! ;)

XXX
    Marian
    :p

3. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

I don't own any headphones.

shawn<---any time!

4. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

I've been using the black and purple ones for almost a year, and they have never let me down or crapped out.

5. AshG

AshG Member

Sennheiser hD25s.
    Look no further.

6. I-Drop

I-Drop TRIBE Member

why?

Im in the market for headphones.. my stantons just blew (pieces o crap) was going to get sonys, but if theres something better

7. C-NiCE

C-NiCE TRIBE Promoter

It's all about the Sony MDR V700 DJ headphones. There is no better.

Chris

8. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

i tried the sennheiser and both technics ones, i ended up buying the sony mdr-v700 because of the bass response. but then again i bought them for recording electric bass and not for mixing. i've had no problems at all with my sony crap. sorry for bringing it into your thread!

9. twist

twist TRIBE Member

I have these headphones as well and the ones I have now are my third or fourth pair. The only reason I've had so many is because the headphone jack connection isn't very strong but if you're careful you should be alright.

Honestly though they knock the shit out of most other headphones. The sound quality is simply ill, the bass is excellent, they are light and are really comfortable to wear I'm totally in love with these headphones although I wish they were a bit sturdier.

10. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

They are good headphones not to mention compact durable & flashy, but they do have faults..

They are all nice to begin with and never let me down on whatever mixer I've used them on, but apart from DJing, I use them everyday for production work, and after about 3 months of this the foam hardens cracks and they begin to hurt like a motherfucker.

So I don't reccomend them to people who have to use them alot.

11. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Right on Otis.

I haven't even had mine a year and the foam hurts like a bitch. Not to mention the plastic swivel joint is splitting so they don't stay on right anymore.

The 700's are loud as fuck but really over rated.

I wanna pair of the purple Technics for the behind the neck action, who's had problems with these?

12. AshG

AshG Member

That(above) is is the reason why. The sound is unparalleled. I was thinking about getting the Sony's but after comparing them for about half an hour in a store, I was absolutely convinced that the Sennheiser's quality is superlative, on all types of recordings. They are incredibly loud but even at ridiculous volume levels, the sound is not distorted in the slightest. Very impressive.

A good warrantee is available for them, they have a rotating can, perfect for monitoring, they are very comfortable (especially with the velvet earpieces), and are incredibly light.
    They are also deconstructible; they're built so that they can all the wires and housing can be easily dissassembled. This means that even if one wire breaks (i've never heard of this happening, but...), it can be replaced rather than replacing the whole headphone set.

I don't know about the jack problems but then I usually use mine in conjunction with an extendable cord attachment so that I can walk about 30m or so and not pull them out of the jack (don't ask why I need this sort of room...).

The comment about the Sonys deteriorating after a while is something I've heard of as well, and its worth bearing in mind that the Sennheisers were built for the purpose of recording monitoring (despite the swiveling can), so their attention to sound quality is first rate.

You should try a couple pairs tho for yourself in a store that will let you check them out for a while on different types of recordings.

good luck.

13. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Well my 700's fuckin' broke last night...the swivel joint split right in half and I thought they were done for.

However thanks to the marvels of duct tape I got them back together and they don't even look that bad.

Is there anything duct tape can't fix?

14. Zenmaster Chi

Zenmaster Chi TRIBE Promoter

I've got a pair of VR-900's and they've been perfect since day one.

Mind you, they're a little clunky and the band has loosened up a little on mine, so I'm always pushing the earpieces back to the correct length adjustment.

In terms of output and sound insulation though, they're great.

15. Lexicon

Lexicon TRIBE Member

Love the Technics. Have both Silver & Black ones.
    No sign diff in terms of sound, imo but love the extended cord on the Silver models.

Had the 700s for a while and imo, it doesn't compare to the Technics. If anyone is looking for a 700 in great condition, email me aaron-k@thevoids.com

16. vench

vench TRIBE Promoter

[​IMG]

what about these?

I don't have 'em, but they might be good...

vench

17. funkNstyle

funkNstyle TRIBE Member

I wear them like that and they work great but they broke on wednesday at Limelight.

Its from wearing them that style. when u constantly turn them back it slowly un-screws on the inside... until evetually it seperates from the head piece.

So if u keep an eye on them and tighten them it'll be cool.
    But i had to use duck tape :p
    and it really does fix all problems.. everytime :)

Jonny