1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

tax refund splurging

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by labRat, Mar 1, 2002.

1. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

well after finding out that i'm getting a nice chunk o' change back from my income taxes i decided to go out and buy for myself an iPod. although most of that refund is going straight into my mortgage :(
    [​IMG]

say what you will about apple, but this thing is sweet. 5GB worth of storage and firewire connection that downloads and charges at the same time.

i just put on 2.8GB worth of music and it took a grand total of about three minutes. out of the box, plug into my 'puter and away i went. no software to install, no drivers to haggle around with. nothing but simplicity.

anyone else planning on dumping some of their refunds to the retail market?

--craig

2. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

I plan on using my refund to pay for California aka Pay Off my MasterCard :D

pr0nstar

3. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I'm going to New York City in May with mine :)

4. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

New roof for car
    Sandblasting and paint job
    new rims
    new rubber

maybe new front suspension
    maybe new exhaust

My tax refund is already spent.

5. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

refund?

6. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

Hey, me too!!!
    weird
    maybe i'll see ya there;)

:)sarah

7. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

mine will probably be enough for a happy meal.

8. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I owe 56$!!!

Crappy

Nickers

9. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Shawn<-------owes $3500

10. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

every penny of it will go against the 4 digit negative number that is my line o' creidt. :(

11. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

hopefully, if score enough bling bling on the tax return I think I'm gonna drop it on some of this action:

[​IMG]

;)

@m.

12. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

make that 3...weird shit? when are the rest of you going? i/we are goin 18-20 flyin outa buffalo

z0-

13. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

ouch! how does that happen? did you not pay throughout the year?

i also got to play with the new iMac, and it's a very slick little machine. so tempting .... soooooo tempting.

--craig

14. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Well ...

I will probably be putting most of my refund up my nose. ;)

Seriously though ... it's easy to OWE money if you earned a significant amount of non-employment or self-employment income, since taxes are not automatically deducted at the source. Especially back in those days when people were actually *making* money in the stock market. Heheh.

15. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Capitol gains!!!!!!

bought low - sold high

16. LiLy

LiLy TRIBE Member

i owe 23 dollars

hmmm but i payed about 9600 in tax!!!!!!!!!!
    and they still want 23 dollars'?

stoopid government

adam

17. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

we hadn't decided yet.
    is that the may long weekend, the 18th to the 20th?

hope much is your flight outta buffalo?

inquiring minds wanna know:D

:)sarah<---LOVES NYC

18. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

well then, i hope you're not complaining. obviously you've made a good chunk if you owe that. just be glad they've dropped the capital gains level to 50%

19. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

yes that is the long weekend. right now the flights are at 182$CDN outta buffalo. and that is with expedia.ca

cheers,

z0- <<< happy to help

20. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

i JUST FINISHED PAYING OFF LAST YEARS TAX SO i'M SCARED TO DO THIS YEARS!!

21. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

^^^ oops! Sorry about the caps, i didn't mean to yell. I work with three databases all off which require caps to be on.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

That post was enough to send orange juice out my nose.

23. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

My mom just told me last night that she wants to buy me one of the new Macs with the flat screen and the swivelling neck. I showed her the price and she was like, "wow, that's not expensive." Should I be spoiled and accept her offer? She did get a good refund, I think...

Mine's gotta be considerable considering I'm a full-time student working part-time. If it is, I'm putting it to my "apartment in New York" fund for next January.

24. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

dood! do it. have you tried one out? go to a mac store and give 'er a spin, you'll like it. the ones out now are 800MHz with DVD-RW/CD-RW drive ... and the screen is really nice to boot.

--craig

25. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

I'm buying a house. Well I'm using the money as a downpayment for a house. I'm going to rent it out and let someone else pay the mortgage until I'm ready to live their alone.

jeremy -the landlord- jive