1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us! alexd
    Dismiss Notice

Taking your bike on Air Canada

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by TheLiquidFairy, Sep 3, 2006.

1. TheLiquidFairy

TheLiquidFairy TRIBE Member

Since I leave tomorrow afternoon, I have a question for the wonderful people of TRIBE.

Has anyone ever taken their bike onto a flight?
    If yes, how did you pack it and anything specific I should worry about aside from the loading guys taking a beating to it?

I'm also flying out of London and connecting in Toronto.

2. TheLiquidFairy

I'm using bubble wrap to protect it since I don't have a case specific for it.

3. xopus

xopus TRIBE Member

that would be the ideal.
    try and find a shop that rents them.
  4. funfuncheese

funfuncheese TRIBE Member

A friend of mine brought a bike on a plane but she had to take it apart to get it on there, and put it back together when she got back to Toronto.
  5. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

just catwalk that shit to your seat..im sure the security wont fire warning shots into your back

for serious, las ttime i took a bike on a plane that shit had to be half disassembled and fit into a specific box
    but with the restrictions now a days...GFL
  6. TheLiquidFairy

Well it's just to Vancouver.

I don't think I can rent a case since I'm moving to Vancouver.
    Unless there's the same shop there that I can return it to.

Disassembling,bubble wrap and foam it is!

7. Old Yeller

Old Yeller TRIBE Member

to fly with a bike on AC, you need to have already made arrangements before arriving at the airport. In most cases, there will be an additional charge of $40 or $50 as well.
  8. timo

timo TRIBE Member

There is a $50 charge for the bike. If you don't have a shipping box, Air Canada will provide a plastic bag for your bike but you must sign a release form and AC may not be liable for any damage. Max weight is 70lbs for the bike.
  9. TheLiquidFairy

Made arrangements? How? Do I call the airport. Fuck worst case is I have my parents bring it back the next day to ship via Air Canada cargo with anything else that doesn't get on. [It's closed tomorrow and today].

10. soulbrother 10

soulbrother 10 TRIBE Member

I fly out west every summer with my bike. Go to a bike shop. Get them to partly disassmeble the bike and pack in cardboard shipping box. It costs about $20. If you care about your bike, don't ship it in a bag. Go to special baggage when you check in. It'll cost you an extra $50 or so, but it's no big deal and no need for any advance notice to Air Canada.
  11. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

My dad flew from Toronto to Madrid (and back) with his bike once... if you don't have it in a box/container, they make you sign something saying they don't owe you anything if it gets damaged.

The official word is here:
  12. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

post it on tribe, that's all. :p
  13. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I flew with my bike once. I put it in the Air Canada bag and didn't have any problems. Although this wasn't a thousand dollar bike or anything.
  14. supakeli

supakeli TRIBE Member

Aren't bikes considered sports equiptment? When I brought my snowboard from Vancouver out here on AC I didn't have any additional charge.
  15. TheLiquidFairy

Off I go.. hopefully no problems..

eek !

16. TheLiquidFairy

$50 for a large plastic bag...yay.
    Plus 210 for the two extra bags.. :eek:

Man oh man. Now I'm paying for this stupid hotspot.

17. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

You should have Uhauled it out there Marian. It would probably have cost you around the same amount and the experience would have been better getting to see the country and all that. ;)

18. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

it is such an extreme rip off bringing extra or even just large items on a plane.

when I went out to Vancouver they wanted to charge me for all the extra weight that came with carrying my records (and extra $10 per kg!!!). luckily the chick working the counter was super nice and let it slide and I just Canada Posted them back to Ontario along with some other items to ensure I was under the weight limit on the way back.