1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Sven Vath & Johnny Fiasco @ Tonic

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by dora, Dec 15, 2000.

  1. dora

    dora TRIBE Member

    Details s'il vous plait....

    merci
     
  2. futronic

    futronic TRIBE Member

    I missed it too. Weather kinda got in the way. Snowing like a muthafucka outside. I wonder if other ppl had the same problem? I'd still like to know how it was if anyone made it down.

    -- Jay aka Fut
     
  3. ThePlunger

    ThePlunger TRIBE Member

    Ok. First post, here we go.

    Got there just B4 12:00. Kenny Glasgow finished of his set nicely (I'd say pretty average). Sven Vath came on at 12:30-40ish. Nice start-up, nice hard trance and techno. I was pretty drunk so I just danced for about 2 1/2 hours. Had to go early (exams). I thought he mixed pretty well and seemed to be focusing on mixing, not just hannin' in the booth with people. The light rig was in full effect which was great to see. The sound was clear, bass deep. Most of the people I saw seemed to be having a good time. Not much sketchiness.

    I totally missed Johnny Fiasco (not a huge House fan).

    Tonic was packed, so I would assume that a lot of people trudged through the snow anyway.

    That's about it, Peace,

    Matty [​IMG]
     
  4. spacecase

    spacecase TRIBE Member

    First of all, where the fuck was everyone? Tonic was packed but I only saw two of the TBK (Emil and Mystique, nice to both of you again)

    Sven Vath @ Tonic last night was by turns boring, incredible, sloppy, precise, montonous and breathtaking.

    The first half hour of his set was marked by some nice tunes, then he slid into mediocrity for another hour, brought it back with some great mixes, but killed it for me with montonous track selection.

    The crowd was eating it up however (huge crowd for a wednesay night during a blizzard)

    Then for the last two hours (he played an extended set) he just blew me away. I was about to leave from boredom when dropped this track that was just straight up beautiful,and just kept on going from there.

    He would have gone on past four thirty except the russian mafia that runs the place told him to stop (he looked rather baffled at that turn of events)

    The last half hour of his set was pure sweet tech-house with a sweet sweet dark electro track thrown in. Every time I was about leave. he'd throw on another amazing track, and I ended up staying until the very end.

    peace n' respect

    Jay
     
  5. Dam That SnarkEE Kid

    Dam That SnarkEE Kid TRIBE Member

    I have to agree with that last post...

    First I was surprised with the size of the crowd, despite the snowstorm outside. They closed the upper level with the seating and the backroom wasn't open, though, so that could have made for the more intimate, packed space.

    Kenny Glasgow. I really miss this guy. Recognizable tracks were thrown, and it wasn't anything too special but it wasn't disappointing. It was your average Kenny Glasgow, but don't get me wrong: That's good.

    As for Sven Vath, I suppose I was expecting more from the hype from my friends and his last appearance in Toronto, but I honestly wasn't all that impressed. He had moments of nice tracks, and moments of mediocrity. Granted I'm not Techno-Guru, but I got bored of the repetitive, monotonous and uninspiring selection of tunes. The crowd seemed to be into it, but I wasn't into the crowd myself so I left early to visit the flyerkids outside, and finally to go home.

    But what a beautiful night it was. It took me two hours to get home, but air was crisp and beautiful, and the snow was straight out of the "Slow Down" Gap commercial.

    I hoped for more, but had a good night overall.

    And I give the snow a rating of 10/10.

    [​IMG]
    -Pretty Snowflakes!-

    PS: Toronto Club District, StEEvEE's home!
     
  6. patio-d

    patio-d TRIBE Member

    hehe......StevieD....I thnk you're the only one who watches those Gap ads!
     
  7. mystique0217

    mystique0217 TRIBE Member

    Hye, Matty! Are you the *matt* who I have talked to that nite?

    I am Kumiko!
    (the short Jap girl dancing all nite long like a sweatie piggie)

    Wuzz up?

    I am good [​IMG]

    ANyway, oh my gooooood!
    Hey, Jay, @m, Tommy, Susan, Laura, Par-T, and
    all the people who wanted to make it to this partie missed really nice set that nite [​IMG]

    I am sorrie, guys, but I had really good time there...

    The set was definitely one of the best sets ever this year, and as far as the way Vath djed, he is the pro. man!!

    He seemed to be knowing what he was doing, and gosh...i can not explain really how this set wad done, but since I had never heard any german tech set in my life, it was really unique, and sooo fun to dance to...

    I had ran 2 hours before I went there so I was really tired..but I ended up dancing from 12 midnite till 4am...lol

    it was such a good set that it will stay with me forever~~~

    It was worth going there in snow [​IMG]

    Anyway~

    Thanks people for the great vibe [​IMG]

    Peace~

    -Kumi
     
  8. ThePlunger

    ThePlunger TRIBE Member

    Yup! That's me.

    Peace,

    Matty
     
  9. mystique0217

    mystique0217 TRIBE Member

    werd!

    how you doing??

    i am at work..working on saterday...

    quite peaceful heare and so quiet [​IMG]

    I like working here on the weekend..
    (drawing things and surfing online and getting paid at the same time...lol)

    When will be your next partie?

    Let me know!

    Peace~

    -Kumi
     
  10. Da grunj

    Da grunj TRIBE Member

    Shit people, I had a great time!

    I judge DJs by 2 basic things. How they can throw a party, or if they can take me on a trip. Sven did both for me (alcohol and weed only BTW!).

    He caputured my mind within 10 minutes of him getting on, and it was not until 3:10 that I fell off the ride he put me on. In other words i think I danced for 2 1/2 hours without stopping. I thought he was incredible. But like I said before, I could give 2 shits if he played a track that was 10 years old or not, as long as it blended in with the ride he had created for the crowd. And he created an awesome ride for me, for all the people I dragged out in the blizzard, and definately 90% of the people I saw at the club who were cheering and pumping fists in the air at every chance they could get. I guess the other 10% are the ones who post on this board.....OH WELL, L.A.B. (except for Kumi of course, the sweaty little Japanese girl).

    Best trip I had been on in quite a while,
    Da grunj
     
  11. ThePlunger

    ThePlunger TRIBE Member

    Word up on that last post. Crowd was dyfinitely great.

    Great to meet you kumi. I admire your energy. Next party, don't know, if anytime this week, probably Breathe@system. Its gotta be my fav nite in TO at the moment or Acension 13. Gotta do Christmas shopping, visit family and friends, and work lots this week (as exams just ended for me). Till next time we meet, Peace, [​IMG]

    Matty
     
  12. mystique0217

    mystique0217 TRIBE Member

    LOL
    can you bring me some extra towel or hmmm bikini for me to wear next time i see you? (j/k)

    i still have no clue how you look like..(sorrieee)

    check my photos athttp://members.attcanada.ca/~kumiko/moi_pics.html

    till next time~

    Peace~

    -Kumi
     
  13. mystique0217

    mystique0217 TRIBE Member

    Wicked to have met you, Matt!
    (in fact, i have seen you before a few times before at tonic and turbo from some parties..)

    Hehe...i did not have much energy that nite as i had exercised before i went there..

    next partie will be Ken Ishii at System for me i think...

    I will make sure i will have energy that nite [​IMG] hehe

    You comin'?

    Let me know!

    Peace~

    -Kumi
     
  14. johnny_fever

    johnny_fever TRIBE Member

    Sven's set live on global groove was a real treat during a hellish drive across town in that shite weather we had. Recognized quite a few tracks, how i love music for intelligent ppl.

    mike
     
  15. DanceWithMe

    DanceWithMe TRIBE Promoter

    Sven warmed it up for 1.5 hours, and then blew it up. He played some of the craziest underground stuff that I've ever heard.

    Definately one of the best DJs in the world.

    [​IMG]
     

Share This Page