1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

suggestions???

Discussion in 'Jungle Room' started by Guest, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hey jungle peeps! i'm ex-deephouse lover and wanting to expand my horizon, i'm really liking jungle lately and know nothing about it. I'm looking to buy tapes or CDs and was hoping for some suggestions...as far as the style i like from the little i know is stuff that's bouncy, warped basslines and industrial sounding...i like what Capital J plays...but i absolutely HATE MCs & ragga, sorry, it just ruins it for me. so, anybody have some suggestions, i really appreciate it.

2. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

welcome to the darkside friend!

first,go get manhatten melodies and put it on right now...perfect blend of housy atmosphere while maintaining the sinisterness of great jungle music

then get a wack full of dieselboy mixes and your set for now!

3. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

Freaky Flow is awesome!
    Capital J is wicked!
    Aphrodite is raveilicious!

ahh, who am i kidding?

ignore the three above mentioned DJ's and you'll enjoy jungle just fine [​IMG]

4. fuzzy

fuzzy TRIBE Member

Ah ha!
    So true!

Richard

5. Nebu kad

Nebu kad TRIBE Member

Freaky Flow?? I was a little worried

there for a second, AVE. [​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Guest

cool...so darkside is to jungle what progressive is to house?

where should i go shopping? I went to the Pit, all the tapes there had MCs, bleh!

7. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

...MC's are your friends....

8. DJ Doublecross

DJ Doublecross TRIBE Member

If you want something comparable to "progessive" d'n'b, check out my new CD. I don't think it's too hard to make the transition from deep or progressive house to this kind of d'n'b.

It's in realaudio at www.djdoublecross.com , in the audio page. "Introspection" is the name of the cd. Let me know if you want the mp3 as well and I'll hook it up.

Rob

9. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

you want something hard? Try Illfingas new CD, they have it @ Numb and Cloud 9......dirty bizz

10. Tricky kid

Tricky kid TRIBE Member

freaky flow actually played a good set at i dance this past summer.

pick up the new dj die cd
    and the drum and bass arena cd

11. sen

sen TRIBE Member

very nice cd

lb.

12. Skip

Skip TRIBE Member

Sniper is a nice way to introduce yourself to the d n b.

And hey, fer what it's worth, Freaky Flow is acutally pretty good. I guess 'to each their own eh'.

Now, come on though, if you go to Bittersweet and check out Andy C, you will be hooked on him and only him for a long long time.

His sets are an addiction, so go get yer fix...

PEACE...
    Skip

13. ila

ila TRIBE Member

why don't you check out stuff from the moving shadow label?

like omni trio, aquasky and ez rollers...

it's not new or anything, but my boyfriend recommended the moving shadow tenth anniversary compilation, which I picked up and have been in-love with ever since.

14. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

i got a sick shy fx cd that has no MC, just pure tunes and nice mixing...

i can icq them to ya

m@

15. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

Freaky Flow's track selection = a bag of shit

16. feisty boy

feisty boy TRIBE Member

i'll pretend i didn't hear that.

i can never pass up an opportunity to recommend LTJ bukem - still the reigning king of laid back, atmospheric d&B...
    and some of his 'progression sessions' discs are sans mc...

i never used to like illfingas, but i saw him at milano's a couple weeks back, and he kicked serious ass - sure, he played a bunch of trendy floor fillers, but he's got seriously hype mixing techniques going on...

17. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

dieselboy's mixes on moonshine are good.
    dom + roland - killabytes
    and, as previously mentioned, any of the moving shadow label compilations

18. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

go to audiogalaxy and grab dieselboy,dara,ak1200 live at proper...great set that has grown on me,MC is way in the background and rarely gets involved,good mixing and great atmosphere when the crowd gets going!

19. JEMZ

JEMZ TRIBE Member

Well I am a similar situation as CH20, I had pretty much ignored Drum and bass for my first 5 years of partying, but the last couple of years I have really opened to the world of Jungle and it has opened to me [​IMG]

That long schpeel being said I will try to provide CH20 with a point in the direction of some of the music that helped me.

First off http://www.breakbeat.co.uk is Drum and Bass arena. Not only does it have archived lives sets (almost all have MC's though) and studio mixes, but it has a huge library of indexed music that works on a key word search so a few hours a typing artists names, you can quickly get an idea.

Specific compilations that I dig:
    Logical Progressions- LTJ Bukem w/ MC Conrad
    Music To Make you Ponder- DJ Doublecross
    Kenny Ken and Stevie Hyper D- Live from Renegades Mach 1
    DJ Dara- The one with the sunflower on the cover.
    AK-1200 w/ Navigator- Live in LA (Moonshine)
    Nicky Blackmarket- Vol. I

That is just an idea. But 'tis some good music, I actually enjoy knowing very little about it, cuz everything is very Fresh to me
    Jamie [​IMG].

20. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

the latest dubplates------>www.dogsonacid.com

21. Guest

Guest Guest

thanx for the info everybody. unfortunalty i not hook up at home for the net, and i'm limited here at work...but i'm defently going to check out those cds....

must admit jungle is wicked, it's much more fun to dance too than house and i like the darkside stuff, i like beats that are evil as hell... [​IMG]

22. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

can i get a HELL YEAH! [​IMG] i love my house and techno, but if i'm really gonna kick it hard, i gotta have the broken beats!

23. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Lately yes. Volume 7 though, it's sick.

24. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

^^^yep, Vol 7 was definitely his finest piece of work.......prolly my favorite tape of 98

He sucks now though, i can't stand him

25. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

^^^ agreed on all points [​IMG]