Strike!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by AlyG, Mar 12, 2002.

1. gRoOviegurl

gRoOviegurl TRIBE Member

nuthin.....

I was just answering the 'other union' part of your quote!

2. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Why don't we just get rid of Unions?

I mean they're obviously only looking out for the worker...what is the point in that?

:rolleyes:

3. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

seriously.

where do you dorks think your 8 hour work day came from? santa?

4. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

actually, it's a 7.25 hour work day :D

5. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

don't you smilie face me mr. anti-union-picket-line-crosser!

6. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

What about the consumers? Unions make unreasonable demands(this is up for debate, but this is the other side of the coin) to the point it forces businesses to raise the price of products therefore consumer suffers. What about the business owners? Sure they make millions but they also invested millions. Shouldn't they get a decent return on their investment? If they don't get a decent return on their investment they wouldn't be in the buisness, and when they're not in the business there are no jobs.

Pete

7. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

would you rather have me be mr. unemployed-can't-go-drinking-with-you-all-day-sunday? would that be better? :p

cause if i don't show up, they'll fire my ass. :(

8. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

you'd just better bring those strikers some donuts and be nice to them!

and then on sunday i am going to convince you that you DO support unions.

9. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

you're welcome to try, but i warn you, heavier drinkers than you have failed mightily in this task.

10. aether

aether TRIBE Member

Dear god, why doesn't anyone think of the consumers?!

I want my cheap goods! Why don't we just farm out all labour to third world those poor kids in the third world? Hey, we'd be helping them.. right now they can't even feed themselves, so them earning 7c an hour could only help.. + i'd be getting my cheap nike's so.. it's win-win as far as I can see it.

Of course, I'd be working 6 days a week, and earning much less.. but at least I wouldn't be sitting around bored on my fat lazy ass munching donuts all day.. and, not having any benefits, it would get me motivated to finally get in shape!

Go union-busters go.. Solidarity for Never!

11. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

GAH!!
    I had to renew my driver's license tomorrow!! Now what the fuck am I supposed to do??

12. DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis TRIBE Member

but dodging picket lines are fun, i did it a few years ago when the highschool teachers were on strike :) :p

13. AlyG

AlyG TRIBE Member

Is anyone else waiting for news?

14. Little1

Little1 TRIBE Member

I work at the Ministry Of Finance (MOF) on contract, and the majority of the people I work with are OPSEU members including myself. I work a night shift, and since the deadline is midnight, the senior management decided it would be a good idea to let everyone leave at 11 as opposed to 12.45 when we normally get out. There is an OPSEU headquarters right across the street from my building, so there were people already standing around outside. All the senior managers are sleeping in the building tonight, they all brought sleeping bags and pillows.

I have to be there tomorrow at 9 to picket, which is totally going to suck. Standing around in the cold for 4 hrs isn't my idea of fun but I have to show my support.

And from what I hear, the CAW is going to be backing OPSEU. As well, the prison guards are going to be out front of my building tomorrow, and they are pissed. Things might get ugly...should make for an interesting day.

I really feel sorry for the public who are really going to suffer from all of this. If this goes on for any length of time, a lot of people are going to be screaming. What happens to all the people who need to renew licences, replace health cards, etc.? The call center in my building handles most of the calls for the MOF across the province, and they are going to be shut down. I can already see the mess this is going to cause.

15. Vidman

Vidman TRIBE Member

^^^ that's the point... piss everyone off so their bosses have no choice but to do it their way or negotiate

16. Little1

Little1 TRIBE Member

I totally understand that that's the point of the whole thing, but it is going to create a problem for a lot of people. Another thing, the gov't might let things go for a few weeks before they decide to resolve anything. They save almost a quarter billion for every week that the strike lasts, since they don't have to pay employees.

17. Vidman

Vidman TRIBE Member

Yeah.. ugh.. I'm glad I have my G :]. My gf booked her test for .. next month I think. I doubt it'll last that long, but everything's going to be backed up... a lot of backlog.. ugh.

I'm just happy my mom's not part of it. She's a part of OPSEU but not the part that's striking. whew.

18. Vidman

Vidman TRIBE Member

Yeah so... it's official.. they are now on strike.

19. Little1

Little1 TRIBE Member

^^^I had hoped that wasn't going to be the case but deep down I knew that was going to be the verdict. Shit, I guess that means I should head to bed soon, gotta picket at 9am.

20. Vidman

Vidman TRIBE Member

Good luck... dress warm :]

21. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

well, although the strike is on, there was no picket in front of my building today. that's not really surprising considering the relatively low profile of my building compared to the obvious targets of queen's park and the macdonald block around the corner.

however, a greater union presence is expected to be visible in the next few days as they get more effectively organized.

so far the only differences for me have been:
    - had to sign in when i arrived
    - certain of the network shared drives are offline for 'security reasons'

22. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

shit, guess i'll be driving around with a FEB sticker on my license plate for awhile longer.

"fight for your right to party" - beastie boys

"party for your right to fight" - public enemy

23. 416

416 TRIBE Member

What's up the government's offer anyway? They wanna get in there and jimmy the union's pension? booooooooooooo, mind your own business. Silly government. We've all seen what happens when the Gov gets it's hands on the old pension action.

Also, 2% raise per year? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I would spit in my manager's face if he gave me a 2% raise. It's unreasonable.

No wonder they're striking.

Are you picketing Jane? I'll come by and point and laugh at your communist ass some day if you are.

How did your first day go Steph? At least it's warm out. Hope you go back to work soon.

24. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Strike Protocol

The picketers outside my building have already broken 2 rules of strike protocol since they showed up around 9am. They have been holding up employees for much longer than 15 minutes, and even worse, they are not letting people LEAVE the building.

I can guarantee they will get away with it, and avoid any kind of reprimand. Why do union protesters receive such favourable and lenient treatment compared to your run-of-the-mill protesters? Oh yeah, that's right ... because unions have millions and millions of dollars to buy political sway (money they syphon out of every worker's paycheque, no less).

25. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

from the star...