Stephen King - Writing no-more...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by MalGlo, Jan 29, 2002.

1. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

(CNN) -- Is Stephen King hanging it up?

The prolific King of Horror said as much in an interview in Sunday's Los Angeles Times.

After he publishes five more books, two of which already are scheduled for 2002 -- including a collection of short stories -- as well as work on a limited series for ABC, he's ending his career in publishing, he said.

"Then that's it. I'm done. Done writing books," he told the Times' Kim Murphy.

Why? he was asked.

"You get to a point where you get to the edges of a room, and you can go back and go where you've been and basically recycle stuff," he said.

Referring to the novel "From a Buick Eight," scheduled for release in the fall, he noted, "I've seen it in my own work. People when they read 'Buick Eight' are going to think 'Christine.' It's about a car that's not normal, OK?"

He added, "You can either continue to go on, or say I left when I was still on top of my game. I left when I was still holding the ball, instead of it holding me."

Indeed, King remains as popular -- if not more so -- as he's ever been. His most recent novel, "Dreamcatcher," topped best-seller lists last year, and his current project, the ABC miniseries "Rose Red," dominated ratings Sunday night when it premiered.

In 2000, he began an experiment in e-books, writing a story called "The Plant" available for a fee through his Web site only. Though he eventually pulled the plug, the project could be judged a qualified success, given that it earned the author a tidy sum -- and lots of publicity for the attempt.

These successes came after some of the most difficult times in King's life. In June 1999, the writer was struck by a van near his home in Maine, leading to months of painful convalescence. In his 2000 book "On Writing," he recalled having to overcome doubts that he'd ever write again as well as being brutally honest about his battles with alcoholism and drugs in the 1980s.

He began writing "Rose Red" as therapy after completing "On Writing."

"I was using the work as dope basically because it worked better than anything they were giving me to kill the pain," he told the Times. "It was very difficult to push the pen 45 minutes a day, but it was vital to get back to work because you have to break the ice somehow."

But now that he's proven he can write, it's time to leave, he said.

"I don't want to finish up like Harold Robbins," he said, referring to the pulp novelist who started with well-reviewed works such as "A Stone for Danny Fisher," later suffered a damaging stroke and ended his career in steep decline. "That's my nightmare."

Cheers,
    Dave

2. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

That's too bad... sad to hear, but at least he has class and ends it when he thinks he should.

Not like he needs any money.

pr0nstar

3. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

But what about the "Dark Tower" series!?!?!?

If he doesn't at least wrap that up, there will be hell to pay! [​IMG]

4. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

i'm reading the dark tower series right now.. i just finished the 3rd book and i'm contemplating going to chapters tonight to buy the 4th..even though cri has it waiting for me in waterloo (sposed to get it this weekend). I absolutely love the series.

Oy!
    Ake!

I'm sure he WILL complete the series, he seems quite passionate about it - even though he takes his time with it.

(probably hitting chapters on the way home)

Cheers,
    Dave

5. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

actually.. wonder if it would be at the used book store..i'll check there first

6. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Just checked his web site and he said he is finishing the series. Check here -> http://www.stephenking.com/answers.html?

P.S. You're fortuneate Dave that you just started reading them. Do you know how difficult of a wait it was between 3 and 4, especially considering how 3 ended?

7. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

My good ole friend Janine has read all of his books, and speaks of this one book he has locked in a safe or something, and will not be released until his death.

What's the deal now? Is he gonna release it as his last book?

pr0nstar

8. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

yep i hate pauses like that... it was OK for me reading the ending going WTF! then.. 'no prob.. i can just go get the next book'

it was the same way for the harry potter series [​IMG]

when did u start reading it???

Favourite character the gunslinger? i kind of like Oy! now [​IMG]

Dave

9. The Kid

The Kid TRIBE Member

good!

10. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

I started reading them in grade 9 ('89). I don't think I have one favourite character in particular although I'd probably lean towards Roland just by how deep his character is and how much history (wait till you read 4) there is behind him.

But I love all the characters almost equally.

11. Nub!

Nub! TRIBE Member

The last Dark tower novel is due out in 2003.

Click here for info

He already has abit of it up on his site to read... Sarafina and I have been going nuts since reading the opening...

We have a whole nothing year left to go before it comes out.

I almost cried when Susan died [​IMG]

-=Nub=-

12. Nub!

Nub! TRIBE Member

Eddie all the way!

Curthbert is fun too [​IMG]

i want to be a gunslinger when I grow up

-=Nub=-

13. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

:O

thanks a lot!

grrr.....

p[l]a+0

14. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

that wasn't cool! you just saw that i hadn't read the 4th book yet!! i just got back from buying it..

grrrrrrrr

Dave

15. Cri

Cri TRIBE Member

DAVE! As if you didn't know that Susan died..it's obvious from the way that Roland talks about it...

ALSO!! You made me rush to finish Wizard and GLass and I stayed up all last night reading it so I could give it to you on Friday and you go out and buy it!! YOU DORK!! [​IMG]

POor poor Susan..I hated the way she died too...made me so upset I wanted to stop reading right then and there! [​IMG]

16. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

its ok i went to a used bookstore... got a real nice paperback..your book is too big.. plus work is really slow this week so i wanna read at work

got 3 other john grisham books too... 4 books for 22 dollars [​IMG]

17. roo

roo Well-Known Member

i hope this isn't my fault...

18. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

Oy is like the Jar Jar Binks of the Gunslinger series. [​IMG]

can't wait for the 5th one. it takes so damn long between books, i have to go back and re-read them everytime.

19. Che

Che Well-Known Member

coming soon...

101 Publicity Stunts
    by Stephen King

20. Nub!

Nub! TRIBE Member

Exactly!

It keeps forshadowing it all throughout the series... and you know something tragic happens to her... something always does to people Roland is around (for example Jake in the first novel)

Whats next?

-=Nub=-

21. Cri

Cri TRIBE Member

Oh [​IMG] Don't say that now [​IMG] Oy seems to be really cute! Can't you just picture him wearing those little red bOOties? [​IMG]

22. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

hehe ya i mentioned oy cause you can totally visualize him... and i actually enjoy his character.. but eddie by far is my favourite -- his sarcasm rivals my own [​IMG]

One of my favourite parts of the series was probably when the gunslinger went through the door of the pusher... and met up with the gunslingers of our world. That was good.

Cheers,

Dave

p.s. i've got the book at work today.. hehe read a hundred pages already last night... [​IMG]

23. 416

416 TRIBE Member

Wow, I never tought I'd see the day when Steven King realized he was hack.

24. HypaTee

HypaTee TRIBE Member

Whoa, I never knew there quite so many Dark Tower fans. It is truly one of my favorite series. Roland is such a dark and deep character. I don't blame King for having difficulties writing this series.

For all you fans, he intends on completing it within the next 2 years. It will be done in 3 books (2 long and 1 short).

So do u guys think Roland will survive? Will he even reach the Dark Tower? King has hinted that he may not. Poor Roland, he has to make it... he just has to ... Its out of my power and his... its up to ka to decide.

25. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

Most definitely, but he does one thing very well: builds characters.

His stories suck ass, but his way of building characters is quite nice.

Not as good as Elmore Leonard though-- his characters are teh best.