Spin names Top 50 Influential Bands...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by djcheezwhiz, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

and blues, the blues influenced EVERYTHING.

but who cares, it's spin magazine. i expect nothing form the and boy do i ever get it.

2. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

I disagree. Berry Gordy was running a factory with Motown, a pop machine made up of very talented songwriters like Smokey Robinson and great session players. Most of those "bands" were great vocalists and performers but not many wrote their own tunes.

I don't really expect SPIN to touch on blues and soul anyway.

One band that I just noticed is missing is Cream.

3. CO2

CO2 TRIBE Member

Quite a ridiculous list...i understand that its quite hard to narrow down 50 names...but damn...why is AC/DC, SONIC YOUTH, REM, PAVEMENT, FUGAZI (and many many others)..and for the love of GOD...KORN?!?!...ahead of Pink Floyd?!

Some bands on that list WERE influencial, but come on..not THAT influencial! ...ahh well...gotta remember these are just opinions by a magazine...

-Chris

4. Cheap Ego

Cheap Ego TRIBE Member

They forgot Sandstorm.

That 'Darude' track..like, pushed electronic music into the mainstream...... um,like, yeah.

Oh yeah and Bananarama too.

5. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

Think of it this way: The list is about influential bands, bands that made people dream of doing what they saw on stage. Youre a 15 year-old kid, what seems a more realistic dream; playing power chords real fast and learning to play with some buddies or making epic concept albums with orchestras and choirs about over-bearing mothers and WWII bomb scare paranoia?

6. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

hal - that is exactly why i think classic motown should be represented. the commodores, the temptations, the jackson 5, gladys knight and the pips, diana ross and the supremes ...

they were the main influences behind many of the best-selling artists today: destiny's child, all the white-boy bands (nsinc, backstreet boys, new kids), boys ii men, et al. (not the best artists, but certainly a lot of the most popular ones.)

7. CO2

CO2 TRIBE Member

If thats not an influence..i dont know what is! hehe.. [​IMG]..and by your definition...i ALSO cannot picture a 15-year old kid with dreams of being an ultimately depressed confused semi-homosexual with an unatural fascination with James Dean...aka...Morrisey..aka..The Smiths..

...but in all seriousness, regardless of whether i think floyd is too far down that list or not, bands like KORN and GnR should not be up there...Beatles, Bowie, Zeppelin, Ramones, etc, etc..i can handle...but some of the list is utterly ridiculous...

My humble opinion anyway... [​IMG]

-Chris

8. Guest

Guest Guest

51. K C and the Sunshine Band

9. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

high school in the late 80's was filled with morriseys & robert smiths...the smiths, cure, love & rockets, etc were a reflection of teenage disenfranchisement at the time...the 80's were times of reganomics & margaret thatcherisms...this music was simply expressing the need to break away from the institution...movies from this time period also share this feeling, from breakfast club, to say anything to more darker movies like drugstore cowboy...a feeling of what is out there, & questioning ones own existence...love songs were not fluffy & light, but were expressed from the deepest parts of the soul (ie the smiths - there is a light that never goes out)...

with references to morriseys sexuality, it was always a mystery (from what i remember)...it was questioned in magazines, but unlike today where you have posers like marilyn manson looking to shock, his sexuality although probably evident in the music was not central to the music...

however difficult it might be to imagine 15 year old morriseys look around at all the 15 year old gangstarrs today...i mean who wants to grow up to be a "playah" w/ money & hoes [​IMG]

jc

10. CO2

CO2 TRIBE Member

Ive got hoes..what are you talking about? [​IMG]...and in response to morrisseys sexuality...i remember reading his biography quite awhile ago..and in it, he mentioned how he was attracted to men, therefore making him a homosexual...but he felt it was wrong on some sort of level, and therefore decided to live a life of complete celibacy...whether or not he held true to his personal ideology i suppose remains a mystery...

-Chris

11. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

Kind of off topic, but does anybody remember the Soup Dragons?

12. aether

aether TRIBE Member

good to see that husker du actually made the list.

13. PinkAngeL

PinkAngeL TRIBE Member

I agree. Not so sure how Korn can beat out ANY of those.

14. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

cause i'm free to do what i want any ole time [​IMG]

jc

15. Housey D

Housey D TRIBE Member

Are you fucking kidding me? They deserve to be there.

Radiohead does not. They're one of, if not my favourite band, but they're not that influential yet.

16. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I just read the article on my dinner break. Nice.

My influential musicians list (does not necessarily mean that I am a fan):

- Bjork
    - Sonic Youth
    - Beatles
    - Madonna
    - Radiohead
    - Led Zeppelin
    - Jimi Hendrix
    - Outkast
    - Roni Size
    - Massive Attack
    - Michael Jackson
    - Sly and the Family Stone
    - Sonic Youth
    - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    - the Who
    - Rolling Stones
    - Paul Simon

to name a few...

17. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Oh god, they forgot the Supremes. And the Temptations!

18. Nebu kad

Nebu kad TRIBE Member

[qoute]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by ADT:
    Why the fuck is Sonic Youth so high...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19. *SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT* TRIBE Member

Sonic Youth and Radiohead deserve to be on it.

Nesta - I remember the Soup Dragons.... [​IMG]

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

20. JuJuHound

JuJuHound TRIBE Member

Hey, where is The Police, its all about, the "Voices inside my head, echos tings dat you said a !!!!!!!"

21. JuJuHound

JuJuHound TRIBE Member

Ops, I saw da Police was mentioned, in previous posts....need a JAVA..

22. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

Axe Sonic Youth... put The Pixies in there instead...

Curt Kobain on 'Smells like Teen Spirit'... "yah, it sounds like a pixies song"..

v..abstractdatatype

23. keld

keld TRIBE Member

beatles deserve the #1 spot, no argument.

i think these are a little underrated:

my bloody valentine, sonic youth, velvet underground, neil young & crazy horse, slint, minor threat, big black... etc

24. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

kurt always cited the Pixies as a major influence...& with respect to Sonic Youth i don't know how much of an influence they are, but similar to Pavement they are always faves w/ the critics...(outside of goo i haven't listened to a lot of sonic youth)...

jc

25. Mel

Mel TRIBE Member

What the fuck is U2 doing on there? They suck. Who did they influence? Where is Neil Young, Bob Dylon & Janes Addiction? They did more for music then U2. And Pink Floyd #49? Someone had got to stop smoking crack & snap back to reality. They should be in the top 10 for sure. Ever listen to Meddle? They started electronic music as far as I'm concerned.