1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

silkscreening with autotype.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Plato, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

has anyone ever done this? or used autotype??

we were trying to figure out what solvent or whatever could be used to make autotype adhere to a silkscreen.

we're not doing a photo-emulsion process, were just doing it inda like a stencil.

any help??

p[l]a+0

2. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Is it red stuff you paint on the screen?
    Cuz I've done that. Or is it Rubilyth (thin red two-ply stencil)where you place it down on a drawing, cut out the forms with an X-acto knife?

3. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

ughh....rubylith sounds simmilar to it

its a blue plastic/vinyl like material, somewhat translucent, and yeah it would be cut with a pen knife.

p[l]a+0

4. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Oh wait, you say you're NOT using photo-emulsion... so you must mean a stencil of some sort that you want to just stick on the screen and then print with immediately..

Ugh.... did you try water-soluable spray glue?

You could also just tape the perimeter of it and print. I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you use Blockout to cover the rest of the screen around the stencil and you make sure the stencil is tight enough so it wouldn't bleed...

5. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

So you cut it so it's actually a stencil you can stick you hand through right? Not just the first blue layer to reveal a bottom transparent layer?

6. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I've done stencils with just plain ol' card or paper. If you're lucky, you can get some really clean lines. But you have to tape it really tightly.

Why aren't you doing photo-emulsion? It's so much more... mistake-free... that is, if you do it right. :)

7. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

we do not have a light machine thing available in our resources.
    and using the strong spotlights for photography just wouldnt be good enough.

now are you going to tell me what will make the autotype adhere or not??

p[l]a+0

8. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I told you, tape it. :)

Or try spray glue. But make sure it's something you can get off after it dries.

9. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

what about acetone or something similar?

solvent green or something?? (no not soylent green, thats made out of people)

sunny what did you silkscreen?

p[l]a+0

10. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

bumps??

p[l]a+0