1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Shell commercials

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Gunark, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Gunark

Gunark TRIBE Member

I just saw another one... nice soothing irish voice tells a pretty story of how shell is hiring "ex-hippies" to do their groundbreaking research in renewable resources.

Yet another case of a huge multi-national corporation buying it's soul back.

For anyone who doesn't know what's going on here (i.e. 95% of the population) this stuff looks really convincing. "Oooh look, shell is such an environmentaly responsible company, lets support shell!"

Why don't they run some commercials with a nice soothing voice telling us about what they did in Nigeria.

Bah. I really need to get this TV out of my room.

2. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

At least he made the team...

3. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

shell is evil.

4. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

i like the commercial for sault lake city..with everyone saying "s/he scores!"..even if it is a coke commercial.

5. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

*one of the 95% but not buying because of commercials*

So don't leave me hanging, what did they do in Nigeria? Disseminate.

Rob

6. ViShiS*

ViShiS* TRIBE Member

I really don't understand people who don't see through those commercials. Corporate motive what?

Perdue

7. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known TRIBEr

http://www.essentialaction.org/shell/issues.html

Since the Nigerian government hanged 9 environmental activists in 1995 for speaking out against exploitation by Royal Dutch/Shell and the Nigeria government, outrage has exploded worldwide. The tribunal which convicted the men was part of a joint effort by the government and Shell to suppress a growing movement among the Ogoni people: a movement for environmental justice, for recognition of their human rights and for economic justice. Shell has brought extreme, irreparable environmental devastation to Ogoniland. Please note that although the case of the Ogoni is the best known of communities in Shell's areas of operation, dozens of other groups suffer the same exploitation of resources and injustices...

• Natural Gas Flaring
      Ken Saro-Wiwa called gas flaring "the most notorious action" of the Shell and Chevron oil companies. In Ogoniland, 95% of extracted natural gas is flared (compared with 0.6% in the United States). It is estimated that the between the CO2 and methane released by gas flaring, Nigerian oil fields are responsible for more global warming effects than the combined oil fields of the rest of the world.
    • Oil Spills
      Although Shell drills oil in 28 countries, 40% of its oil spills worldwide have occurred in the Niger Delta. In the Niger Delta, there were 2,976 oil spills between 1976 and 1991. In the 1970s spillage totaled more that four times that of the 1989 Exxon Valdez tragedy
    • Pipelines and construction
      The 12 by 14 mile area that comprises Ogoniland is some of the most densely occupied land in Africa. The extraction of oil has lead to construction of pipelines and facilities on precious farmland and through villages. Shell and its subcontractors compensate landowners with meager amounts unequal to the value of the scarce land, when they pay at all.
    • Health impacts
      The Nigerian Environmental Study Action Team observed increased "discomfort and misery" due to fumes, heat and combustion gases, as well as increased illnesses. This destruction has not been alleviated by Shell or the government. Owens Wiwa, a physician, has observed higher rates of certain diseases like bronchial asthma, other respiratory diseases, gastro-enteritis and cancer among the people in the area as a result of the oil industry.

8. PosTMOd

... continued from the same site...

The US: words without action

In word, the United States is a strong critic of the Nigerian government, both past and present. It has condemned the existence of the military regime, of election cancellations, and of the situation in Ogoniland. It has threatened to take action. Yet it never does. As the largest consumer of Nigerian oil, the US could be the strongest advocate for human rights and justice, yet it refuses to take on that role. The US government has even protected Nigeria from economic sanctions by states and cities within the US. In March 1998 an official from the Clinton administration warned the Maryland House and Senate that bills creating state-wide economic sanctions against Nigeria for human rights abuses are a violation of US commitments to international trade agreements and to membership in the World Trade Organization. The Clinton administration termed such bills a "threat to the national interest." Not surprisingly, multinational oil companies such as Shell, Mobil, and Chevron lobby heavily against aggressive US policy towards Nigeria, an approach which appears to be working.

9. kat

kat TRIBE Member

i've only seen one shell commerical, i think its the one youre talking about.

Despite shell being an evil corporation,
    at least its saying the 95% that they are actually spending time and money on alternative sources of power.
    i havent looked into it that much, but i think its a good thing they are promoting a department that looks like its going to financially be able to take some steps forward on the advancement of renewable sources.
    Whether all the companies are doing the same (research & $$-wise), shell is the first i have seen to advertise it to the general public. To me thats really important, alternatives wont be picked up if they arent talked about a little more.
    i use solar power; and most people i talk to about using it think i have giant panels on my roof and i cant do anything on a cloudy day.

but maybe its just me wanting to believe not all corporations do things for reasons other than money, that there are non-evil departments with nice people working within shell. ;p

back to math now..

byebye
    kait

10. PosTMOd

11. feisty boy

feisty boy TRIBE Member

yup, that commercial is painful to watch....

all it takes is a few bucks sent to an advertising agency, and suddenly shell is an ethical corporation.

12. Gunark

Gunark TRIBE Member

Kat, you're right in that there's something to be said for a large company like shell promoting the idea of renewable resources, etc. etc.

But I really doubt their motivations were guided by any sort of higher principles or morals.

What you see on TV is simply the creation of a company's marketing department. They do all kinds of focus groups and research studies, and figure out the best strategy to optimize profit. What the marketing department comes up with rarely reflects what's really going on at the company. It's just an image -- really expensive clothes -- that the company is dressed up in.

What makes me angry is that most people on this continent completely don't understand this. It's both sad (because so many of us are suckers) and dangerous (because democracy assumes that the voters/consumers are informed, and that they know what they're doing).

13. kat

kat TRIBE Member

hm..i duno? shell is a big company. my papa used to work for them as a chemist. im tired of thinking that just because its a large corporation its entirely evil..the whole "dam the man" bit.

the oil thing overseas is sadd, but there are probably only a few people at shell responsible for the neglect and exploitation. and the others working in that area dont have enough power to change things. which sucks..
    but renewable energy and the fossil fuel departments are very separate..even within the same corporation. so what im trying to say is..separate.

call me naive, (or overtired) but i dont think its just a marketing ploy invented by the ad department..
    there has to be some good intentions in it.

exam time now.. [​IMG]

byebye
    kait

14. tella

tella TRIBE Member

have you ever heard of ken saro-wiwa or the ogoni people? if not..read this: http://www.oneworld.org/mosop/

15. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Most people in North America have already made up their minds about whether oil companies are "evil" or not. These commercials probably won't change anyone's opinions, but they will at least provide information on Shell's efforts in support of renewable energy.

Seriously, do you think a bunch of smiling teenagers and plastic burgers will trick people into believing McDonald's serves high quality food? No. But I'm still interested to know that Ronald McDonald House provides at least *some* benefit to children in need.

I'll be the first to point out the ignorance of the general populace, but I honestly think most people are fully aware that corporations are not altruistic.

--------------
    AdRiaN

16. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Shell is so guilty of so many things in this area of the world its pretty sick.

They however are not guilty of the following...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1785000/images/_1786681_grab1300.jpg[/img][/url]

[​IMG]"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1785000/images/_1786681_bodies_afp300.jpg[/img][/url]

Lets also not forget the ethnic purges of the previous military government. Lets not forget the bloodiest Democratic election the UN ever surpurvised. Lets not forget the countless civil wars in the last 30 years.

This isn't some peacefull nice place that got wrecked. Its no excuse for the nmess thats been left there, but we're talking about a country with brith rates that are out of control. We're talking about a country that has regular gun battles between different military factions. Shell is they're only real industry. Anyone who does have a job has a job because of one very evil company.

Maybe if these people stopped killing one another they could focus some attention and effort on this multinational thats fucking them over. Maybe if they stopped killing BBC reporters who try to come to there country to help get evidance they'd be having a little more help from the media.

Whenever there is a problem in africa the evil is that normally the real violence and distruction is caused by there own people. Normally its on behalf of big multinational interests but in the end they always kill one another.

17. 416

416 TRIBE Member

Those commercials are pure Nazi Propoganda.

18. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

ME TOO!!!
    such a feel good commercial..
    "if we time it right they might hear us in salt lake"
    ohhh it just gets me all excited for Olympic hockey - it's starting soon!
    Can't wait [​IMG]!

19. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Environmental Groups Oppose Sour Gas Well
    November 15, 2000
    "...Shell has predicted that the well will have a hydrogen sulphide (H2S) content of over 32 percent and has deemed the well as a level 3 critical sour gas well. As such, the well represents a significant threat to public safety and health. Hydrogen sulphide is one of the most toxic substances known to man and can kill or seriously injure healthy people at concentrations as little as 500 parts per million. The elderly, young children and the infirm are much more susceptible to H2S poisoning. The proposed well is located only 300 meters from the popular and heavily used Castle Falls Provincial Campground. The public that use that campground and adjacent public lands will have significant risks imposed on themselves and their families. Additionally, the approximately 200 Albertans who live within the proposed well’s Emergency Planning Zone will be at risk in the event of an emergency and during routine well operations..."

20. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

.... uh... it sounds to me like it is a Nigerian Government at fault here, not Shell.

.... and why were you critizing the US;s response to this? Geez.... their foreign policy just can;t win with people on this board no matter what they do.
    - If they do nothing people say they should be doing something.
    - If they try diplomatic efforts to help they get accused of not doing enough.
    - If you use embargos against them they are accused of starving babies just like in Iraq.
    - If they would use their military to overthrow the regime there, they would be accused of killing innocent civilians just like in Afghanistan.

What are you suggesting the US do about it???

dan.

21. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

sour wells can be brutal if they aren't handled properly. If they blow during drilling, the hydrogen sulphide, being heavier than the air, will travel to the lowest point, rolling like a gas attack. Thus, if you live downhill from a sour gas well, and the highly-improbable happens, you're totally fucked. Villages near volcanic lakes have the same problem, only far more dangerous. With sour-gas wells, if the operator uses the proper processing equipment, and maintains it, there will be no problem. Shell is great operator. Sour gas wells are drilled every day, safely

22. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

23. quantumdj

quantumdj TRIBE Member

So they try to say that they are into renewables? I guess they see the upcoming demise of the oil industry. Yet I believe they really have no true interest in renewable energy, and only wish to boost their image. I fear that they will try to bully smaller companies like Bergey and Kyocera to eliminate any competition. I may be wrong, but I remain weary of any large corporation, as history suugests that their only interest is the bottom line.

alphastate~

24. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

... yes... oil companies have no interest in renewable energy.... they will be perfectly happy to go broke when the worlds supply of oil runs out. [​IMG]

Oil companies spend plenty of money researching renewable energy........

dan.

25. quantumdj

quantumdj TRIBE Member

I didnt really mean that they are not interested, rather than that I fear they will try to gain a monopoly over the renewable energy industry, sacrificing quality and efficiency in products.

I am going to do some research into what shell is working on, and I hope that I am proven wrong.