1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Setting up a business in Ontario

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Michkey, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Michkey

Michkey TRIBE Member

Has anyone set up a small business in Ontario recently? I'm looking for a good resource that has all the info as far as what documents need to be completed and all of that jazz...

2. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

3. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

you can get the Business Incorporation Handbook from the Publications Ontario at just south of Bay and Wellsley (880 Bay).

i think it is in most bookstores too.

4. Swamper

Swamper TRIBE Member

5. Michkey

Michkey TRIBE Member

6. Smiley Jo

Smiley Jo TRIBE Member

I registered on-line, but didn't do a name search and it was like 60 bucks.

Joanna [​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

incorperation will cost about $500.
    I recommend you do that.

8. PeterNomad

PeterNomad TRIBE Member

YO JO!!

Peace

Nomad

9. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

So how'd that work out?

-jM
    A&D

10. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

incorporation is good. if your strapped for cash all you need is a GST# and BN (business number) you can apply online i believe and its all free.

you can register a business name for 60$ (pretty sure). anyway if you use your name as your business name then you can get started for nothing dont need a business name reg.

so use your name, get BN# and GST# and your good to go. someone pipe in here if im missing something.

11. air-bag

air-bag TRIBE Member

Incorporation is 200$
    The optional business name is 20$ b/c of unique name lookup service.
    All of this can be done online within a matter of hours.

12. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

The gov't CSR that I called told me it was $60 for a search. And if you do it online, you can get results right away.
    If you go in person, it will take 2 days.

You have to be careful about calling your company "inc."

13. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

A better way than going online and filling a few easy forms is to pay a team of corporate lawyers $15k to do it for you. Also they have nice offices, free coffee, and give you a pin that makes you feel important. The pin has your name on it, and the window's view is relaxing. Oh, they'll forget details about branch taxes, WSIB, and be generally unclear about what constitutes a GST applicable sale, but they'll assure you that they'll look into it, for a further $750 an hour.

-jM
    A&D