1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Scott Bond @ Guvernment

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by wanderlust, Feb 24, 2002.

1. wanderlust

wanderlust TRIBE Member

Now this is trance! Scott Bond never disappoints.

This is to me what real serious trance is. Not cheesy mindless stuff that Ferry Corstein played, sorry.

I also talked and drank vodka with Scott Bond for some 20 minutes after his set. He's the most hilarious DJ I've ever seen. Just one ball of fun. Great guy and great DJ.

2. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

ok the BEST part about last night was....me having a conversation in german with this guy from germany. i didn't even know i could do that!!!! it was sooooo exciting. seriously. you don't know how cool that was!

anyways, once i overcame my, shall we say, incapacitation and was able to dance, scott bond was really really good. just when i think i've really had it up to here with trance and i just don't like it anymore...someone like that comes along. 10 x better than ferry corsten.

um. yeah. more disgusting people than usual though, i'm afraid to say. all of my friends and i noticed the extremely high ratio of lecherous old men.

i recall a pinky swear made to me last night to tell me about something and i intend to hold that someone to it.......

3. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

IMO, I think there are hundreds of trance dj's that are better than Ferry Corsten.

4. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Hopefully, all of the naysayers who thought Scott Bond would spin "cheesy" trance have been laid to rest. His set was hard, dark, and techy ... while still melodic. I honestly believe this nu-Trance style is going to signal a rebirth of the genre.

It's essentially a response to the past cheesiness of Euro trance, and the current boredom of progressive.

Mr. Bond played a nice selection of recent releases, and he even threw in a little Madagascar for nostalgic purposes (although it sounded pitched up quite a bit!). All in all, 'twas a real corker!

The club had a lot of energy, and Mark Oliver threw down a perfect opening set, as usual. His 8-minute "loop" of Ferry Corsten's Punk really seemed to kickstart the action. Nice one!

5. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Perhaps you girls were showing more cleavage than usual? ;)

6. RyanMarcus

RyanMarcus TRIBE Member

Cheesiness

Apparently cheesiness is a matter of perspective. I found Mr. Bond's material to be very cheesy -- It reminded me of my old Atari system to an extent. Now don't get me wrong here either. Scott Bond played very well -- technically he was spot on, he had the crowd lovin' it, etc etc. But as far as I'm concerned, what he played was cheese. I was quite disappointed with the evening's tunes until Mark Oliver closed the room with a couple hours of dark and intense prog. To each their own I guess... :)