1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Sasha, Digweed: Really worth paying $46?

Discussion in 'Progressive Room' started by Access, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Access

Access TRIBE Member

i know that these guys get paid alot for each show, so i understand why having both of them in 1 night would cause the tickets to be so much.

but are these guys really that good that you'd pay almost $50 to see them? and you know since it's through ticketmaster, it's gonna be like $55 after all the taxes and 'service charges'.

I don't know if i'd pay that much just to see these guys.
    Just wondering what other people think.

How many of you are gonna dish out the $50 to see sasha and digweed?

And for those who've seen them before, would you say it's worth it?

2. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

$40 at release records when i got my tickets (monday), so yes it's worth it.

i've seen sasha once for a short time and he was quite good. in short, is it worth it? i'd give it a definite yes.

3. Viceroy

Viceroy TRIBE Member

Please...$50 is nothing.

I saw Sasha and Digweed @ Twilo 2 years ago...best 10 hours of my life.

I saw Digweed in Detroit last summer....amazing.

Definitely.worth.every.cent.

Peace,
    Steve

4. HC_P

HC_P TRIBE Member

Irony

I think it was I who first brought-up the question of whether it was worth seeing S&D for these prices :)

I made my statement without much thought, but after thinking about it for a little while I've come to the realization that this show is definitely worth the price. Excluding the costs of the extras (visuals, Phazon!), just the experience of S&D will be well worth it.

As mentioned before its been about 3yrs since Digweed has spun in TO and about 2yrs since Sasha has been here... These dates may be wrong, but it definitely has been a while since either of them have played TO. I also think its been about 5yrs since S&D played together (I think the last time was at Guvernment).

So, the fact that both are great dj's (IMO) individually and put on an even better show together, from the reviews that I've read, the price is quite reasonable. Just compare it to their shows in the US. Plus, who knows when both will ever be back.

Albert- wish I could make this show, but finals the following Monday won't let me :(

5. Special K

Special K TRIBE Member

honestly, id pay double that to see them play together!
    and i know alot of other peope that would too...
    then again thats just me...

6. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

Re: Irony

Sasha played Meow/Element in June of 2000.
    Digweed played Meow in March of 2000.
    The both of them played the Guvernement in June of 1999.

7. HC_P

HC_P TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Irony

Haha. I was kind of close with the dates. Thanks for the info Nesta.

Either way, you never know when these two will be back. Catch them while you can.

Albert.

8. C-NiCE

C-NiCE TRIBE Promoter

These two blokes are the reason I listen to electronic music today. From their Northern Exposure CD's, to the mind blowing Better Days parties, it's been all good since. They simply are the best DJ's on earth, not only because they get the freshest vinyl, but also because of the mood they create through there track selection and programming. So if you're asking if it's worth the price, I'd have to say it's a bargain right now. 40$ to see your idols? Twist my rubber fucking arm!:D

Chris

9. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

I've happily paid US$40 to see Digweed solo.

These 2? At this price? = Biggest steal of a deal

-Tara.

10. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

um hi.
    i have seen sasha 5 times, each time paying around 15 UK pounds. i've never been disappointed. NEVER. i would probably do anything to see him again if i didn't already have my ticket :p
    so yeah, it's totally worth it.
    :D

11. Muffdiver

Muffdiver TRIBE Member

46 dollars for Sasha and Digweed plus an opening by Jimmy Van M?? I think if you are someone that even has to ask a question like is it worth it??you Probably shouldn't even bother!! I might be crazy but I think this is a really good deal.........

12. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

Two and half years ago, S&D were still the "top names" and their gig at the Guv was $15 in advance, and it was a holiday the next day-even better than a Saturday night. Now for some reason, the price has TRIPLED.

I would like to see their contracts and see how much they are making for this gig. Let's not forget Clear Channel/House of Blue are promoting who also get a huge cut of the profits. As far as I know, there is no sponsorship to reduce the price.

I understand that the Phazon system and new lighting and visuals and being brought in but the Guv could supply all that once again.

If people don't mind paying that much that much for a good night then its up to them. Some people like paying enormous amounts of money for certain things.

In comparison, top name DJs like Cox, Hawtin, Vega and Oakenfold have all been here recently and charged way less.

One last thing, will their price TRIPLE again in another 2/3 years? Would you pay $125 for S&D? How much is your MAX???

13. JuJuHound

JuJuHound TRIBE Member

I bet their getting around $25.000 for their gig here.

What sucks here is it ends at 4am, more like a "Concert" not a "Party"

The ticket price, nobody should be whining, considering Sneak at the SteamWhistle with all the locals and/or RTH was $40 in advance....hmmm

S&D $46 in advance, dat's nothing for 2 GOOD Dj's.

Is it sold out yet???

14. TraNceAhoLic

TraNceAhoLic TRIBE Member

fukin welfare rats

stay away, go to comfort zone, you can get in for $5

15. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Yes but having S+D on a tuesday night before a Canadian only Holiday insurred that there was less competing North American promoters ... so of course the price was very reasonable. Had that party been on a Friday or Saturday, when many other American cities could out bid Toronto, the price would have be more.

People seem to forget that Sasha and John Digweed aren't a DJ duo, like Parks + Wilson or Deep Dish. They just happen to play together occasionally. You want to book them both, you don't suddenly get them for half price each. $20 for Sasha and $20 for Digweed is pretty reasonable in my mind. For Oakenfold alone it would probably be $30.

The climate of the industry has changed a lot in the past three years. Yes Sasha and Digweed were big back then but their profile has increased dramatically since then. They are HUGE. They are far and beyond way bigger money earners than Cox, Hawtin, Vega ... names that three years ago might have been comparible. I think the only other DJs that come close to the earning power of S+D are Oakenfold and Fatboy Slim.

16. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

cant believe

For the past 4 or 5 months, there have been dozens of rumours about when/if S&D were coming - I've never see the kind of rumours the possibility of a visit from them generated. You don't see that for anybody else - that ought to show you how huge they are.

Now, after all of that and people gagging to have them finally come, people are bitching about the price. If you don't want to pay it, fine....but everyone wanted them here, and now they're here, so quit bitching about it.

17. Viceroy

Viceroy TRIBE Member

Dude!...chilllllllllllllllll!

Just because he questioned an event at your favorite club with two dj's you like doesn't mean he is a welfare rat.

Peace,
    Steve

18. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

I'm not knocking S&D, but what are they "giving back" to their so-called loyal fans? Why promote (Global) UNDERGROUND dance music if it has become so mainstream and commercial??

You mentioned "money earners"..is that what underground dance culture is about? How much money can they can earn? Who has the biggest bank account?

How will you feel when they start endorsing products and showing up on soap opera shows? Do you want dance music turning in Hip-Hop-bling bling style?

People who get on guestlists shouldn't be justifying those prices. I'm curious to know if YOU'D pay $75/100125 in 3 years for them?

If supply and demand determines prices, then so be it...

19. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

LOL!!!!!

20. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

brian, i'm hurt lol

anyways, last time i checked it was an absolutely stupid $12 to get into the zone

21. C-NiCE

C-NiCE TRIBE Promoter

Bought my ticket at release yesterday and they still had a good sized stack. Only $40 earlybird so get them now!

Chris

22. d r u n k p u n k

d r u n k p u n k TRIBE Member

i got my ticket for $40 :)

23. joey

joey TRIBE Member

i dont think it is worth it...

plus it ends at like 4 or something??

i saw sasha at meow, it was alright.

i would love to see them together because, well it's sasha and digweed but it is crazy expensive for a short night

plus josh the funky1, dj rectangle, dekoze vs jelo are at fever that night for like $15 or something

24. RyanMarcus

RyanMarcus TRIBE Member

which is worse?

I think the bigger problem is the 4am closing time myself. I've paid the ticket price, and I probably pay double or even triple that if I had to. As someone said earlier, how can you put a price on an opportunity to see your idols? What does piss me off is the closing time. S&D are here for the first time in ages, and we've only got them for half the night. How can a promoter tease us like that, and then turn the lights on at 4am? That's just rude. I will still take whatever I can get though, despite any apparent downside. And I would still pay full price too. Any thoughts?

25. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

Re: which is worse?

i feel the exact same way.
    it should go until 6am at the very least.
    6 hours of s & d is reasonable, no?