rrrroll Up the win dilemma

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by kuba, Mar 13, 2002.

1. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

True story:

2 friends work together and buy each other coffee here and there. Lets call them Blair and Dennis. Blair goes out and buys Dennis a coffee on Monday morning. Blair hands Dennis the coffee. Dennis drinks the coffee.

Fast forward.

Dennis then rrrrrrrrollllllllllllls up the rim and actually WON a Sony Wega television set. Both Dennis and Blair are not rich and both could use the money OR the tv.

Who owns the TV? I say sell it and go 50/50 but ..... would YOU?

2. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I'd say it's Dennis' TV.

3. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

Ditto.

Are they gonna cut it in half?

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Seeing how I have never won anything with that contest! Its my TV, thanks;)

5. Jazz

Jazz TRIBE Member

I would have to agree... enjoy the new TV dennis!

6. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

thanks!

i totally forgot that i didn't roll my rim up today

after digging it out of my garbage pail and using my teeth to roll it up, i found that i didn't infact win anything and that my lips had just came in contact with a dirty cup.

7. Wunderbar

Wunderbar Well-Known Member

When B paid money in exchange for the coffee it belonged to him. Howver there are three requirements to make a valid legal gift:

intention
    delivery
    acceptance

B intended to give D the coffee. If B was a savvy lawyer , he would have said "I give you the coffee but I retain property rights in the cup". [B would obviously not have a lot of friends if he acted this way in social situations ]

B delivered the coffee to D by handing it to him.

D accepted the gift, and hence had ownership rights in the coffee and its container.

A weak equity argument can be made on B's behalf but I don't think he would stand a chance in a legal action.

8. juice

juice TRIBE Member

They should get a third party involved. The third person will take the TV and attempt to cut it in half. The first person to step in and offer it to the other person gets it. Because they love the tv so much they just dont want to see it destroyed. I saw this on Seinfeld so it must work!

9. peanut butter

peanut butter Well-Known Member

anything bigger than the coffee maker has gotta be 50/50,

(or 60/40 for the guy who can sell it...)

10. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Yeah I say Dennis keeps the TV. You buy someone a scratch and win card and when they win how can you ask to keep the winning. I don't know about the legal aspect, but based on principle Dennis should keep it.

Pete

11. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

whenever i buy anybody a roll up the rim coffee i actually say "if you win, i still get the prize"
    good friends would sell the fucking thing and split the cash. or one could buy out the other.
    do you really want to take it to court?

12. madnezz

madnezz TRIBE Member

How did I know Rosey would be posting in this thread *grin*

he makes a good point about a good friend selling the TV and splitting it.... common sense to me

adios
    Laura

13. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

i won a donut today. :)

that makes it 2 cookies and 1 donut this time around.

definately my best rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroll up the rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrim ever!!!

14. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

I say sell it and go 50/50. That way there are no long lasting bad feelings. Both should feel somewhat satisfied with that outcome. It is so not worth having a bad vibe over.

Peace, Maxine

15. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

how much is that tv worth anyways? atleast it wasnt the car or something..then that would be a sticky situation.