1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

rNb ron trent @ sunnyside...your opinions...

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by djcheezwhiz, Jul 3, 2001.

1. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

ok, i know i may get flamed for this, but i didn't really enjoy this party on sunday night...nothing against the music, because around midnight it got nice & funky, especially the really bass heavy track with the "heavy metal" guitar riff (very sweet)...

i just found the atmoshpere in general lacking...a little bit of attitude which sort of ruined the evening for me...now perhaps i was just in the wrong corner (but we had a nice view of the lake) & i've been to a few rNb events, garage 416 parties, etc, but really found this party didn't have the usual funky & friendly vibe...

any thoughts???

jc

2. Heinz57

Heinz57 TRIBE Member

I didn't go to this, although i was planning to... but plans don't always work out the way we plan them...

I heard Trent was phenomenal... no surprise there..

of late, I think there's been a noticeable degredation in the RNB following... and maybe even the house music following in general.. alot of people finding out that "house is cool" and that "chicks dig house"... and it's getting really trendy... people who just don't give a rat's ass about the music coming out and basically standing around full of attitude, not dancing, just there because it's the "cool" thing to do...

by no means is this a knock on RNB or any of the other house promoters.. they all get due respect, and they have no control over the crowds they draw...

but how many people were there to hear Ron Trent spin.. and how many people were there just because it was an RNB party and RNB parties are the "cool" thing to do?

but then again... i wasn't there, so i can't say for sure... but that was the impression i got from the Brett Dancer/Larry Heard party at Sunnyside..

3. JuJuHound

JuJuHound TRIBE Member

I thought it was a nice change for Sunnyside to throw one upstairs...sweeet...Ron Trent was wicked....the vibe?..?..hmm I can see your point about people coming out just because its Sunnyside, not RNB party...there definantly is a percent of the crowd that probably don't even know what RNB is.......
    Uhm I didn't really see any "cheezy" attitude..

4. JuJuHound

JuJuHound TRIBE Member

I thought it was a nice change for Sunnyside to throw one upstairs...sweeet...Ron Trent was wicked....the vibe?..?..hmm I can see your point about people coming out just because its Sunnyside, not RNB party...there definantly is a percent of the crowd that probably don't even know what RNB is.......

5. JuJuHound

JuJuHound TRIBE Member

6. JuJuHound

JuJuHound TRIBE Member

ops, sorry 'bout the double post

7. MiracleFish

MiracleFish TRIBE Member

I disagree.
    I thought Saturday rocked. I got there at approx. 11pm, got myself a bev and it was time to get down. The music was great.
    Oh ,did I mention how such a freezing night turned into a hot and (dare I say).... sultry jam.
    I think you peeps were just hanging out on the wrong side of the dance floor.....
    cause I saw some arms waving and some ass shakin'...

8. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

I went to an RnB party in Nov (maybe Dec?) at Embryeus

didnt like it one bit.

Not my thing.

The music was good...but not enuff energy from the dancefloor and the crowd seemed very Schmoozy...

and too preppy as well

but hey...different strokes for different folks.
    [​IMG]

9. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

..and you wouldn't want to go anywhere where there were "preps". Some of your "k00l" friends might see you and take away your "k00l kard".

BBB.

Let me guess, fresh out of high school?

10. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

*sigh*

No I am not just out of high school
    I have been out of high school since 1996

No I do not have a "kool card" or whatever

I found it A LOT preppier than the spots I usually go to...SO WHAT! IT WAS!

Im sorry but cocktail dresses compared to Fiction or Lithium does constitute being preppy.

like I said it wasnt my thing
    I never said anything was wrong with it.

So take a chill pill

11. evolve

evolve TRIBE Member

I think RNB parties kick ass!

Always funky tunes and a good looking older crowd. I'm sorry but you can argue with that!

12. Par- T

Par- T TRIBE Member

RNB always throw excellent parties, they actually put some effort into the atmosphere they promote and try to create (unlike so many others who have some theme on the flyer but when you actually get to the event, its just the same old shit). They always try to bring new or different people to entertain us or only the quality ones who've been before. I always look forward to their events and wish I could attend more often.

There are always various numbers "hangers-on", scenesters or others with no real interest in the music, some events just attract more than others. Sunnyside is such a unique venue, you're just more likely to find less desirable people going there then other places.

RNB parties are great, been going to them for 2 yrs, see no reason to stop.

13. ecstasy riot

ecstasy riot TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

14. Bull Go Ki

Bull Go Ki TRIBE Member

Even though the last rnb party was lacking and thats understandable considering it was a Sunday and all, think about it Sundays are meant for chilling. The next rnb party is going to be off the hook!

Julie McKnight will be blessing us with her beautiful vocals at the next rnb party who will be teaming up with none other than Junior Palmer. Trust me these guys do it proper. I dont give a fuck if its raining i will be getting down @ this.

This song finally will be the shit especially when its coming from the beautiful Julie McKnight herself!

To all the non believers out there give rnb another chance. I dont give a fuck if everyone is chillin i'll be getting down.

Peace and stay phokused

db

p.s.
    holy fuck Julie Mcknight performing live! The girl that blessed us with Finally will be performing live. Lets just hope the weather will be good that day. So who's with me yall?

EZ

15. Bull Go Ki

Bull Go Ki TRIBE Member

Forgive me for not being specific. here are the details to the next rnb&juniior palmer party......taken from http://www.garagehousemusic.com/

Junior Palmer and RNB Productions present Julie McKnight (performing 'Finally') and J.Sinister

djs Kaje, Richard Brooks, Ali Black, Wes Park & Brendan Costigan. Live performance by God Made Me Funky and D4C

Sunnyside Pavilion @ 1755 Lakeshore Blvd West

$20 bucks in advance at the usual places...... this one will be off the hook. Finally is a classic what a way to spend the last days of summer.

forgive me for being hype about this....maybe im just drunk and shit.........l8ts......I can't wait.....Finally

db

16. MiracleFish

MiracleFish TRIBE Member

Not to be such a stink ass, but what exactly are you [​IMG] for?

17. that 420 guy

that 420 guy TRIBE Member

i'm so there. it's gonna be off tha hook! finally....live! holy shit!

see ya there bull go ki. i'll be the guy in the kung fu gear. come say hi.

pese and kings of tomorrow beatz

- that finally i meet you guy [​IMG]

18. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

actually in retrospect there were probably a few other things on my mind that evening, which sort of led to my disappointing evening...the music was definitely off the hook & like i said in my original post there was some great tunes laid down...i was with a large group of people, & didn't do my usual wandering around, so perhaps my opinions are unfair & unjustified...thanks to everyone for their replies & enjoy your weekend...

jc

19. Heinz57

Heinz57 TRIBE Member

I love Finally as much as the next person...

BUT... i don't know why i'm not very excited about this rnb party..

maybe it's because I've heard finally in a thousand different forms and remixes, and LIVE is just one more to add to the list..

or maybe because i was one of the unfortunate people who were in attendance when Sandy Rivera from KOT was here in the wintertime... and he sucked royal arse.. he mixed finally, into finally, into finally... for 15 minutes... 15 minutes of one song is just too much for my ears..

but i still love the song..

the thing is, what else is she going to sing and how well will it go over with the crowd? What other songs does Julie McKnight have in her repetoire besides "Finally" that suits the RNB party vibe?

I'll most likely be there, cuz i do love the song to death and i'm seriously curious about the shit i mentioned above.. but i'm not very hyped up for it..