RENAISSANCE ROM - $200 million design awarded

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by tommysmalls, Feb 27, 2002.

1. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

i have four or five 1600x1200 images at home i can send you.

2. FunK_DoCta

FunK_DoCta TRIBE Member

The grad house is not ugly it's just different. It is an example of deconstructivist architecture. A style in which traditional architectural forms are deconstructed producindg a sense of disruption and dislocation. It is supposed to look that way. Look at it with different eyes and you will see the beauty behind the theory.

3. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

the problem with the grad house is the dark grey portion with ultra tiny windows....i like the idea behind the design, but not application of the design - it would be a gorgeous prison, but not a grad house.

Balzz....here's a bigger image of the winning design:

[​IMG]

4. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

a more inviting entrance (Bing Thom):

[​IMG]

5. twitch

twitch TRIBE Member

I don't mind it.. kinda like The Louvre in Paris. Everyone at first that it was clashing but since then people have grown to like it. Also like the "Centre Pompidoux" (Sp?).

I myself liked the last 2 but it seems that Big Thom's design is simmilar to alot of other designs I've seen around the world, like a Japanese (or was it Hong Kong) airport.
    The last one seemed more original, but how much can you base on just the exterior. I can't wait to see inside.

6. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Apparently the crystal idea mimics the natural process where crystals sprout from the stone that the ROM is built out of (Limestone?). I think it's a cool idea.

7. madnezz

madnezz TRIBE Member

What a great thread!!! *S*

I personally love the contract of the crystal with the original building... I think it works really well.

And I totally agree that the city seriously needs a facelift in architecture... tommy- maybe you could be the first to take on the project and dedicated yourself to our city!! *S*

Anyway, I also really like the entrace model that Bing Thom came up with...

btw tommy, I hadnt seen that site with your ROM photos! Good work!!!

ps- YES- VIC rocks! *wink*

adios
    Laura

8. Bean

Bean TRIBE Member

c-o-n-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n

What totally interests me is how this will be built, given some of the site logistics:

1. busy downtown corner, which I'm guessing traffic can't be 100% shut down.
    2. construction while the ROM is still operational
    3. smallish site (i.e., not loads of room for storage of materials & equipment)

... and not to mention the logistics of delivering and installing the glass structure itself!

I wonder how much construction will be going on afterhours....

Peace,

Sabina

.:. Share what you know, learn what you don't .:.

9. MBoy

MBoy TRIBE Member

Back to that ungodly gradhouse at the corner of spadina and harbord.... it could have been a lot better. I appreciate the spirit in which it was built, and the "University of Toront"O"" sign is pretty cool. But the building as a whole just does not look like a place that I would want to live in.

I guess that's the point though.

-Duncan

10. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Ooooooo. Could you e-mail me? crackpipe@sympatico.ca

Thx. :D

11. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

what did i say like 15 posts up? huh?

and grad house is ugly. i'm sorry, i've tried to appreciate it, that don't change my opinion.....fugly! i do respect that it can be appreciated on other levels.

and bean...spoken like a true engineer :D

there actually is a fairly large yard between the street and the current structure on that side of thge building now....i imagine they will chew that up.

i wish i owned the space across the street....but feel sorry for the people who won't be able to afford the lease hikes in a year or two

12. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

I hope its bigger than 8 inches tall when they finish it.

13. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

yay bean! i know i wasnt alone on wondering how it would be done! :)

as for the design. i like it. i felt the other 2 designs didnt really incorporate the old rom building as well as the winning design did. they just attached something new onto the existing property, but not the existing structure. the crystal uses the existing building and makes it into something new which is why i think it was chosen as the winner. it fuses the past with the future quiet successfully.
    i cannot wait to see it completed :)

p[l]a+0

14. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

i dig the winning design. and i agree with the voting, if thom's design doesn't add any new gallery space, what's the point? if it did, i'd be all up for it, as a PATIO IS A PATIO! never mind one that's smack in one of the nicest areas downtown.

however, the winning design will "propel our city in to the future" or some shit like that, as it is a striking design. the lighting created in the main entrance looks stunning. and with walkways overhead coming/going everywhere, it truly does look like it will draw the tourists in.

and any chance to get to see more exhibits is a definite plus.

HOWEVER, going back to bean's point, the logistics of getting this thing built is going to be a nightmare! they are planning to start in 2003 and have it finished in 2 years. FAT CHANCE. storage of materials, bringing in materials, space for teh monster cranes that will be required, the noise pollution in the area all go against this being done quickly.

i'm excited, i just hope this is the beginning of other major urban projects in the city, as toronto could use a bit of a facelift.