Racism in Canda Towards Native Canadians

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by swilly, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am sorry I am going to take the opposite approach when it comes to this argument, but this is what I truly believe. I am a visible minority my parents came here with nothing and they did a hell of a job for themselves. They own an apartment building, a daycare center and a furniture business. When they first came to Canada they came here with the clothes on there back nothing else. There wage at first was less then two dollars, but they saved. They realized this is the land of opportunity, and they worked there butts off for there family here and back home. I am sorry but if you really want to make it you can, people arrive here every day, can't even speak the language and make something out of there lives. Looking hundreds of years ago for an excuse is just that an excuse. You know why east indian and oriental people don't cry racist is because they try to grow above it and try to make it and beat there fellow man, this is the way you show that you can do it. Not by crying racism and think that people owe you something for something they did a couple of hundreds of years ago. Sure I was called names as a kid and a adult but that only give me a passion to succeed! Why don't other cultures do the same like the natives and blacks rather then cry racism. I don't agree with calling people racist names lord knows I have been called every name in the book. But to use it as a crutch as to why you don't succeed is stupid, everyone has the same access to education in this country and if you don't take advantage of it the only person you have to blame is yourself. This is the best country in the world for black, white, native, indian, oriental, european, EVERYBODY and nobody will ever tell me other wise. All you have to do is take a trip to the US or especially Europe to see what I mean this is the best place in the world!

2. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

Once *again*, Pest shows how much of an idiot he is...

It's probably stamped on your forehead...

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Just because I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU doesn't make me an IDIOT WHY don't you read my post and realize there is truth in it.

4. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

i live five min. from a reservation, and i can tell you the hand-outs don't work.

if i was to post any anecdotal bits, i'd probably be called a racist.
    although
    one of my best friends is native, and i must say i was taken aback by all the money available to him (through/from the gov.)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

And if you are going to say that my post is stupid then at least have the evidence to back it up!

6. PosTMOd

Learn to write properly first, idiot, and then learn to construct an argument.

Then we can have a discussion, rationally, without you spouting off about something you *think* you know something about. You don't, and you are so fucking ignorant and close-minded you probably never *will*.

Moron.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Let's have some real opinions on this board rather than post after post agreeing with the post before. And when someone does disagree with the opinion of the majority they get ganged up by everyone else. No one is saying racism is right but it should not be an excuse in this day and age, and if you think otherwise tell me why?

8. PosTMOd

Pest, can you fucking read?

If so, do it... READ THE POSTS... you idiot!

Nobody is saying "use racism as an excuse"...

You aren't disagreeing with the majority... you are just plain stupid...

Get it? STUPID... yes, you... MORON...

9. Guest

Guest Guest

What is wrong with the people on this board, does every post have to look like the last one. Instead of agruing the point they point out your spelling and grammar errors and call you names instead of intelligent discussion. Most of the people that post are drunk at the time any way. Do I have to post my original post again so you might respond appropriately. This is the way I truly belive and so do my friends and some of them are native canadians.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I am sorry I am going to take the opposite approach when it comes to this argument, but this is what I truly believe. I am a visible minority my parents came here with nothing and they did a hell of a job for themselves. They own an apartment building, a daycare center and a furniture business. When they first came to Canada they came here with the clothes on there back nothing else. There wage at first was less then two dollars, but they saved. They realized this is the land of opportunity, and they worked there butts off for there family here and back home. I am sorry but if you really want to make it you can, people arrive here every day, can't even speak the language and make something out of there lives. Looking hundreds of years ago for an excuse is just that an excuse. You know why east indian and oriental people don't cry racist is because they try to grow above it and try to make it and beat there fellow man, this is the way you show that you can do it. Not by crying racism and think that people owe you something for something they did a couple of hundreds of years ago. Sure I was called names as a kid and a adult but that only give me a passion to succeed! Why don't other cultures do the same like the natives and blacks rather then cry racism. I don't agree with calling people racist names lord knows I have been called every name in the book. But to use it as a crutch as to why you don't succeed is stupid, everyone has the same access to education in this country and if you don't take advantage of it the only person you have to blame is yourself. This is the best country in the world for black, white, native, indian, oriental, european, EVERYBODY and nobody will ever tell me otherwise. All you have to do is take a trip to the USA or especially Europe to see what I mean this is the best place in the world!

11. PosTMOd

Seriously, Pest, when you post something intelligent, I will be quite happy to discuss it with you.

Until then, just spout what you heard from your moron parents or what you read from the Sun, and just keep pretending it is fact, and that it is 'intelligent'...

Taking an 'opposite' view isn't intelligent, kid, it's juvenile.

Blather on... I'll let others get trolled by your foolish attempts at constructing some self-esteem.

I wish you the best, really... it saddens me to see such blatant ignorance.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Let the attacks begins as usual.
    I really don't think I have said anything racist or bad it is just my opinion, I am really sorry my opinion differs from yours next time anyone who disagrees with anything on this board, should just ignore the thread. Just let the same views be posted one after the other or else the name calling begins!

13. PosTMOd

Well, therein lies the problem, young man.

You are talking from a position of total ignorance... if you actually think you said nothing bad, then you are actually more ignorant than I thought...

Let me give you a hint: in this country of ours (which I agree, is quite great), there are buildings full of books. They are called libraries. People who work in these buildings can direct you to various sections that have books about different subjects. Go there, grab some books about Native Canadians, and read them.

Come back here when you have gleaned some real information, and we can have a discussion, for then you will not be so ignorant.

This might be a bit difficult for you, since these books aren't all pictures, nor are they sports pages, and they don't have Sunshine girls. However, the payoff is large, for although ignorance is bliss, it is also not very powerful for the self-esteem, and you need all the help you can get.

14. Deep_Groove

Deep_Groove TRIBE Member

I have to defend Pest on this one.

You (PostMod or anyone else) may think his post is stupid, but he at least deserves an explanation why. People have stated some facts, and he provided an interpretation. It may not be something you agree with (I certainly wouldn't do it like that) but the onus is on you to provide an alternate interpretation of the situation.

- Deep_Groove

15. Guest

Guest Guest

The name calling and attacks have begun, its really sad. How predictable it has become.

16. PosTMOd

Back so soon from the library, son?

Wow, you are quick... so, now that you are not so ignorant, tell us... was there anything wrong with your "interpretation"?

Tell us, was it even an interpretation, or just spouting some cliches that you overheard, and took to be your own?

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Please read the bottom of the last page and tell me do I deserve this shit.

18. PosTMOd

*yawn*

Yes, you do, and since you seem to love cliches, here's an explanation: you reap what you sow.

19. Deep_Groove

Deep_Groove TRIBE Member

This is just disappointing, PosTMod...

- Deep_Groove

20. Deep_Groove

Deep_Groove TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

- Deep_Groove

21. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

hey! this is like that scene from goodwill hunting!

22. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

I have to defend Pest on this one too.
    Now, I'm not saying there isn't 'rasism' towards minorities here; I'm not quite that naive.
    BUT people choose there own realities.
    Here's something to chew on, "You are where you are because you want to be".
    You can choose to cloak yourself in the muck with the rest of the rhetoric of the world and accept the "facts" OR you can choose to rise above it all and believe that we live in a one of the greatest countries in the world where everyone has the opportunity to have and become what they really want.
    This is true of just about every successful story and person you'll ever hear.
    Don't believe me? Find what you think is a successful person and ASK.
    Have we really all become that jaded?
    I think that's all Pest was trying to say...(hope I got that right Pest... [​IMG])

23. starr

starr TRIBE Member

have you read any of pests prior posts?
    i mean before this one, and before the sausages thread?
    you should scroll back, they really are SO INTERESTING...that's why people (including myself) don't really take anything he says seriously

for swilly: if i'm being honest with myself, i am sure that i will not see the end of racism in my lifetime.
    this is due mostly to the fact that much of it is systemic and most people have chosen to believe that the fight is over, as this allows them to feel good about themselves and the society they live in.
    this is what makes it so hard to be a minority in Canada.
    i have a good friend that, whenever i feel overwhelmed by the situation, can bring a smile to my face no matter what. a simple "jigga what" from his lips will suffice, and i am reminded instantly that even though i am in the minority, my self-worth and self-respect are still intact.

sadly, i fear that there will always be ignorant people in this world.
    the trick is to learn to survive despite them.
    i know it's difficult, i know it's hard, and i'm not native.
    i know sometimes you can get so frustrated and angry that you just want everyone else to feel like your feeling just for one instant so that they could maybe start to understand.
    i find it helps to talk to people you know that are compassionate and like-minded...or just to talk in general.
    if you ever need an ear just icq me (it's in my profile).

for everyone else: i am sorry if my post offends, i do not mean to offend. please read it over and try to read my intent into it, instead of just what is written.

michele

24. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Pest, why am I not surprised by your post? I gotta agree with PostMod...

You say:
    ...without realising that here in Canada, racism towards Natives is accepted, if not practically encouraged. It's not the same as racism towards Blacks, or towards East Indians or Asians. Goverment officials and police routinely treat natives as second class citizens and not as the people who truly "own" this country. I could provide example after example about this. Look in the papers not even a week back and already you have two incidents.
    One is Ontario Finance Minister Jim Flaherty implying that Natives don't deserve the same level of health care as the rest of Canadians.
    The other is the new evidence turning up about the routine and accepted practice in Western provinces of dumping drunk natives in snow banks on the outskirts of town when they become bothersome.

And don't even give me that bullshit about "crying racism" as an excuse. Natives have been playing that card the least out of any visible minorty in Canada, and it's because of this that they continue to be walked over. They've had their land taken away, and they said nothing. They had their culture taken away, and they went along with it. Now all they have left is a few patches of reserve land in remote locations because everything else has been bulldozed for wood or developped to make homes for us white folk.

Do you know anything about the murder of Dudley George? Do you know what sparked it? It's because the Canadian government wanted to "borrow" some land for the duration of the second world war as a base. The war ended, and 40 years later the land has still not been returned so they took it back.

Premier Harris didn't like it, sent in the OPP to crack some skulls, and an unarmed man was shot and killed in the process, trying to defend the land that legally belonged to him.

then you say:

25. Guest

Guest Guest

That is exactly what I mean Fir3start3r. We all joke around on this board you guys are serious all the time no. I like others have opinions on issues and whenever I seem to share them just because I don't go along with the bunch I am called very offensive names. Maybe I should tell you what race I am and really hear the names you have to call me. Look every culture has been wronged sometime or other. A person today has no right to blame the white man for something done centuries ago. If you really want to you can rise above it get an education and make something of yourself, there is noone standing in your way!
    And I think everyone now gets called "boss" or "chief" usually for some reason by parking attendants, but not meant offensively its just like buddy. I think that natives, orientals and east indians do take a lot of unneccessary crap but they have to be taught to rise above it rather then use it as a crutch.