r.i.p paul oakenfold

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by d.code, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

i love you too, baby...snuggums ;)

2. Finch

Finch TRIBE Member

The BBC has much better writing than that shitty article. They would have included a bit of info about WHO died, not just "Paul's dead...do you know him?"

Nice try though...flashy website got me for a minute.

Finch.

3. TheLiquidFairy

TheLiquidFairy TRIBE Member

This is a horrible thread... only one star * for the hacker site.

Boo on you!

*s* I need an endorphine(sp?) injection...*s*

XXX
    Marian
    :p

4. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

This has got to be the most amusing shit the net has yeilded in a long while.

ahahah.. okey gliding!

hahah.

5. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

I hate Trance and would wear the Fuck Trance T-Shirt.

But I would never be happy to have someone die... this is wrong.

pr0nstar

6. Wunderbar

Wunderbar Well-Known Member

Mock Oakenfold all you like but he was the reason a lot of you started listening to electronic music in the first place as he bridged the gap between the commercial and the underground. I agree that he has been stale lately but he's still a legend.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

What is wrong with you people, wishing death on someone is wrong. I bet none of you even know him personally all you know about him is the music he spins.
    This thread is evil and wrong all of you should be ashamed of yourself!
    You guys sound insane!

8. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

ughh..no. trance wasnt my introductory genre into the scene (and neither was happy hardcore, thank god!).
    to this day i havent heard more than 20 minutes of an oakenfold set.

meh

p[l]a+0

9. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

haha, no.

10. somasociety

somasociety TRIBE Member

pest: it doesn't seem like anyone's actually WISHING death upon Jokenfold, or WANTING him to die tragically in a plane/truck/zeppelin crash so we wouldn't be subject to his particularly fruity-epic-swooshy-blah-blah-blah-goddamn-this-is-really-boring-shite musical stylings anymore (oops).

The death site is just really rather funny.

Well, at least for about five minutes :D

And as for Oakenfold introducing me to electronica.... hahahahahahahahahaha.

if you want to go back in the day I'd have to give that honour to new order, depeche mode, nin, and other 80s kids who started experimenting long before oakey...

11. Guest

Guest Guest

do you still love me? even after the light show? Cuz I'll marry you......

12. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

Oakie is the best, man... he gets you all up and going, ya know, and like makes you want to give everyone dirty oven mitt shows, like the time when he spun up at the cottage...

[​IMG]

13. Wunderbar

Notice I didn't say that he was the reason "all of you" started partying.

I know many people that started coming to parties and afterhours, inspired by his sets.

There is a reason that there was a near riot outside of Tonic in 99, 13000 people showed up to Connected and it was impossible to get into the main room at Area:One. He is a legend and he is loved. You don't have to like his style or the fact that he's charging crazy money for his time, but respect him for his contrubutions to the scene.

14. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

[sarcasm]Haha. I totally agree.[/sarcasm]

Bridging the gap? Hmmm... I can think of many artists who hav done that and I don't consider Paul to even be on that list. Anyway, commericial success today doesn't necessarily constitute any change or progression in electronic music's status. Some might even say it's its downfall.

Now THAT is funny.

I hate his work. I hate his sets.
    I hate almost all trance.

And he's not dead, people. PostMod though, RIP buddy. :(

15. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

Yah, and it has nothing to do with the fact that a lot of those people are uneducated electronic music listeners, and the only DJ they know is Oakenfold. The heards follow the hype.

16. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

k, is this for real? i'm tripping out here.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2002
  17. No, its not. It's a sham/joke site Nesta.

From the Ministry of don't mind his sets. Heard good ones heard bad ones

Prime Minister Highsteppa

18. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I don't know about anyone else but if the people who were in there to see Oakenfold's set were the people who made me wait for 1 h & 30 minutes in the blazing heat to get in (still missed Carl Cox' set), I "shakes fist" at you all.

I'm sure the Orb would agree.

19. I don't know, it's funny to me how Oakenfold gets held responsible for the fuck ups the event organizers have done. The Love Party back in March 99 was a huge screw up fiasco on the behalf of the Guvernment and Kool Haus. People were getting charged from going to one place to the next.

Same goes for his sets at Tonic, when security were accepting bribes to cut into the linups. Again, something out of Oakenfold's control.

Finally Area One. Where it seemed that the organizers were unprepared for the crowd.

Honestly, yes, I have heard some of his live sets, and I do think they can sometimes be very hit and miss, and there's not much going on in the innovation department. BUT, I do appreciate his track selection a lot of the time, even if it isn't set up in the best of ways. Travelling was very, very good in my opinion, and I have a few mixtapes from Creamfields that are quite solid. I wasn't very impressed with his perfecto Ibiza mix, nor Another World, but I feel that there are plenty of dj comps that aren't going to rock all the time.

From the Ministry of my take on the matter

Prime Minister Highsteppa

20. matty

matty TRIBE Member

I think you mean the herd follows the tripe.

21. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

Oakenfold Global Underground New York is still one of the top 20 mixes I have.. and my dj mix collection is well past 200 disks of many genres..

Tranceport would have been a very good mix if every other dj on the f****** planet did start spinning every track on it...

And Global Underground Oslo remains

A - one of the most underground and tighter tech-trance mixes i have heard (disk 2)

B - one of the VERY few disks i have ever bought where a dj successfully fuses two disimilar genres (drum'n'bass and trance).. and is also a format i have never heard spun by anyone else (disk 1)

true.. his sound is very 'gay'.. (now more than ever).. is not as good as it used to be but!.. trance, house and techno.. were all 'gay' long before they even had straight audiences..

so we as straight boys(not speaking for everyone obviously) dont even have a right to the criticism if we choose to use it.. which is the criticism i see most often of his sound (even if they dont admit it..)

djing is more than spinning records.. its developing a fan base and expanding the popularity of a sound that is YOURS..

as a promoter (small yes), i see the importance of these aspects of djing more than your average partyer probally does because it relates directly to my bottom line..

in anycase.. those factors taken into account.. oakenfold is 1000x the dj of anyone who ever has, or ever will grace the precense of our little billboard..

and anyone who thinks otherwise can suck it..

v..abstractdatatype

22. Wunderbar

Oakenfold's music is accessible for people who are newbies to the electronic scene. He has incorporated U2, Radiohead, Pearl Jam and numerous other recognizable groups into his sets. There was a wonderful energy that emanated from his sets and if you don't believe me, maybe try listening to Oakenfold's Cream mix, or his Essential Mix from Liverpool.

Again, I'm not saying EVERYONE became a fan of electronic music/partying because of him. [With nearly 5000 posts under your belt, maybe you would have learned to read by now] That being said, he has had a major influence on many people [including in my circle]who loved his style in the mid to late 90's and it is reflected in the attendance at his events.

Obviously, not everyone likes his style and that's fine. But don't judge people who do.