power of perspective

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by roo, Jan 22, 2002.

1. roo

roo Well-Known Member

say, for instance, that my sister has been playing aaron carter nonstop. even though the kid has no talent and the songs suck, i will eventually begin to tolerate it. and, if tolerating it becomes a pain, i will find a way to like it.

despite what many people may think, it is possible to like virtually anything, no matter how much it sucks. all you have to really do is decide that you are going to like it.

take, for example, those who like being depressed. sure, they don't actually ENJOY it.. but they are accustomed enough to it that it ceases to be something that bothers them, something they want to change.
    or, another example, people who repeatedly put themselves into abusive relationships, because that is what they know and anything different is new, unbelievable and frightening.

the force of habit is a powerful thing, as is the voice of choice.

so, in conclusion, it is entirely possible to like and choose things that suck over things which would be healthier and more rewarding.

2. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

No matter how much I try and how much I listen.

I will never like Trance!

3. deep

deep TRIBE Member

excellent post.

People's circumstances in life are just as equally determined by the cognitive habits they have, the way they deal with things, as it does their environment, genetics, experiences, etc.

4. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

You think you're so smart because it's your b-day ... don't you!!!

Freakin Brown People!

5. Cannabus

Cannabus TRIBE Member

i hear where your coming from...my friend "thundah" spins Uk garage and at the beginning i thought it was pretty good but now I can't get enough of it...I crave uk garage all the time now..gawd how I luv uk garage..

Randy

6. graham

graham Well-Known Member

Good call Deep, we've even learned to like you

7. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Actually since I haven't slept yet I'm a bit on the dull side [​IMG]

8. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

well if you're targetting depression specifically.. depression and self diagnosis of it tends to bring on self pity, which in a depressed state can be the only form of comfort. Although it's destructive, depressed people learn to rely on self-pity for the tiny amount of solace it provides.

-OTIS

9. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

good post roo.
    i'm not sure if i could put myself in your shoes regarding aaron carter, but I use this type of thinking when it comes to winter.
    I hear people getting all depressed, complaining about "the sun, it's gone.. " and "everything is so dirty", etc etc.

I make myself think that I love winter. Living in Canada, there is no way you can avoid this shitty weather that falls upon us once a year, so why fight it? Why sit around bitching and complaining about the cold, and the snow, and the lack of sunlight.
    It's not going to make things better.

I LIKE WINTER!

10. deep

deep TRIBE Member

You're not too tall for me to punch in the ear

11. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Refer to my post about Trance.
    I've tried over and over.

Yet I still stand there at a party/club and wonder... Why people still listen to it.

pr0nstar [​IMG]

12. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Are you sure you can lift your big manly arms that high???

13. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Interesting idea. I would argue however that, some of these behaviours are learned. People do these things because they coincide with what they know, have been taught or grew up with. I'm not sure that people convince themselves that they like abusive relationships, for example, so much as they simply feel comfortable in them.

Ming.

14. judge wopner

judge wopner TRIBE Member

thats true, i guess in life we take the good with the bad true?
    I like bacon, i like the taste, and the way i feel after i eat it.
    unfortunatley all that bacon may give me a massive heart attack one day.
    but i still eat bacon, im taking the good w/ the bad, and taking that deadly risk.
    not because i secretly love the idea of a heart attack but because i value the taste more than the risk to my health.

so i guess its like the woman whos in a pattern of abusive relationships mabey.
    there are certian qualities to these guys that she likes, the jealousy, posesiveness, protective sort of macho type stuff. she probally doesnt like being smacked around, but shes taking the risk of this tough guy turing into an abusive person for the qualities she finds attractive.

though im just a judge and not a woman, so its only a theory...

J

15. roo

roo Well-Known Member

^^^^ which brings to mind another topic.. how the majority's perspective is so often cultivated by an outside force.

creepy!

.. i have effectively convinced myself that i like: snow, being cold, being confused, being braindead, rain, s club 7, the backstreet boys, and intellectual torment.
    in addition, i am always leaning back and forth on thinking everyone on tv is ass ugly and the people i used to consider just okay looking are now hot.. etc.

its kind of like saying, well, maybe he stole $15 of my $20, but hey, isn't it FANTASTIC that i still have 5?? [​IMG]

16. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Roo, I totally agree with you, and I've thought about that very same thing a number of times myself.

It's all about conditionning. If you can condition yourself to think a certain way about something, you will eventually think that way naturally.

Pete

17. roo

roo Well-Known Member

was directed at ming's post.

18. Libradragon

Libradragon TRIBE Promoter

this has got to be the most interesting thread posted in a long long time.

[​IMG] thanks roo.

will post my thoughts after 5. [​IMG]

19. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Like roo said, and I'm not disagreeing with you Pete, but I also think that this conditioning can often come from external factors. Like your peers, your parents, teachers, boss, whoever.

And that as a result of being told things repeatedly, you begin to think that they are what applies to you, that these are what you like and so on...

Ming.

20. t-boy

t-boy TRIBE Member

that just makes you closeminded... closeminded not in the sense that you can't make yourself listen to it, but closeminded because you can't change your emotional / rational response to it. you're unable to disassociate your preconceived notions and conditioned responses about the music. every time you listen to it, it always triggers the same response - trance sucks. its not the trance's fault, its yours.

21. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

The majority of people like being told what to listen to.

22. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

agreed, but i also think that ultimately you have the power to internalize this information or completely disregard it.

most people are highly suggestible. a symbiosis exists between the unconcious and the concious. the subconcious will not act out anything that "the concious does not accept as truth*.

think about that.

say you're on a boat, and someone mentions that you look seasick. you might actually take on physiological symptoms of seasickness due to the power of suggestion.

whereas if you made the same remark to a sailor he would laugh or think you're crazy. it's deeply ingrained into his unconcious mind that he is impervious to getting sick.

the implications that this has for our own lives are absolutely immense. i believe that our objective reality is created by our perceptions of it...what we believe *will* come to pass. our subconcious is working 24/7 to essentially ensure that our reality is what we assume it to be.

if we internalize conciously the sentiments "youre a failure, you'll never amount to anything, you're so stupid," etc. then we *will* act on it unconciously. to change one's perspective entirely is a difficult task...it requires countering all the negative self-talk we feed ourselves with positive...and more importantly, *believing* in it.

*muah*
    ~N

"truth is subjectivity"~kierkegaard

23. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

I was actually discussing this very same thing with someone last night. And we were pretty much saying the same thing.

Once thing that was reassuring during our conversation, was that once you can identify these things that you must "unlearn", and other things that seem to be unhealthy, that you might want to change, and once you are able to identify what makes them unhealthy, you have already begun to change them.

And as they begin to take on new meanings, you can replace them with other ideas...This made me happy. [​IMG]

Ming.

24. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to think that the conscious mind is the tip of the iceberg of our total mind. How many times have you not been able to think of something (a movie name, etc.), and then an hour later it just pops into your "conscious" mind? What was happening in the meantime, while you were going about your business? The mind as a whole was doing stuff... it does it constantly... and only the limited, filtered, one-perspective of the conscious mind exists at the forefront at any one time. Too bad, because the mind is a million times greater than that little pathetic conscious part, that part that is there to only ensure your survival, and thus it doesn't have much use for most of the brain.

The point (I think) is that there really exists no separate conscious and subconscious. More like what's happening is the mind churns away at stuff constantly, and what is kicked up to the surface--moment by moment-- is what we term the "conscious". What is kicked up is so little, so pathetic, so miniscule compared to what is really going on...

So, it's not like the concious tells the sub what's going on, no more than your eyeballs tell you what you are seeing, or your ears what you are hearing.

Now, I've forgotten what the overall point of quoting Nat was, or what the point of anything was, but I'm sure some part of my mind knows and it'll get kicked up into my "conscious" at some point, and I'll get back to it then.

25. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

agreed, but i also believe you have to make a distinction between the concious and unconcious mind. not that there isn't a symbiotic relationship between the two...but in regards to self evolution or progression, how can you really look at it holistically? they definately influence each other, but i do think that there's a division.

my subconcious acts on base assumptions. if i were hypnotized i would do as i was told...i wouldn't be able to rationalize or counter such suggestions. whereas my concious mind can. the concious mind can construe or reject concepts of reality, and if one has the capacity to access the unconcious then that's where (i believe) change can occur.

it's the idea of the waking world and the dreaming world. yin/yang, yadda yadda...a matter of integration, yes, but each has to be acknowledged as having it's own definitive substance. dun' it?

or maybe i'm just a dumbass who can't think 'cuz it's late. [​IMG] just wanted to add to your thoughts TMO.

*muah*
    ~N

"self-reverance, self-knowledge, self-control~~these three alone lead to sovreign power"~tennyson