1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Possible to Embed PDF into an Email?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Sal De Ban, May 6, 2008.

1. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

just wondering how to do this if possible? is it done with html? what's the secret?? thanks. i love you all. :)

2. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Pretty sure you can only have it as an attachment.

3. littlejon

littlejon TRIBE Member

you can turn it into a jpg/gif and embed that, or re-jig your pdf to be the entire email if you have acrobat.

4. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Some email clients will parse the pdf and show the attachment at the bottom of the email.

I know thunderbird and mail on mac osx do this as does kmail on linux, I haven't ran mail on windows in a while so no clue if this happens or not.

5. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

i'm not sure what you mean by 'embed', but you can snapshot your pdf and paste it into your email...

6. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

It's a function of the email client. None of the mail clients I've used on windows do it, but that doesn't mean there isn't a plugin for T-bird or Outlook that does this.

7. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

Also, you could convert your PDF to HTML (or an image format as others have suggested). Nearly all mail clients will parse HTML and/or display images that have been added as image content.

8. spaboy

spaboy TRIBE Member

HTML (depending on the text) may get you caught up in the spam filters.

9. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

On this note...

Does anyone have a method of including an image in an email signature that will be viewed consistently by recipients?

What I've researched tells me that because of spam filters, security settings, email configurations, etc., there's no way to guarantee that a) the image will not be a red x, or b) the image won't be received as an attachment...universally.

I'm trying to convince my boss NOT to include the logo, but I want to make sure there isn't some way I've overlooked.

10. spaboy

spaboy TRIBE Member

As far as I know, email clients are trying to crack down on the use of images as it's an easy way past the spam filters. I think you'll have a problem universally. I remember someone @ Constant Contact saying something about new technology that can actually scan the image for spam text. Although, that's as much as I know about it.

11. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Sugar,

There is no way to consistently have it viewed, firewalls can be rather strict and email scanners vary widely.

imho I hate corporate logos in emails .. I always think I'm actually getting a quote when in fact I'm just getting some lame ass logo.

12. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

sugar:

You can include an image in a vCard. Doing so generally avoids spam filters and most clients recognize the vCard standard. A vCard can carry your signature along with an image, however not all email clients support the image (PHOTO property) in a vCard.

Basically, you can add an image as part of a vCard, but it is not guaranteed to be properly displayed by the recipient. However, it is likely going to be increasingly supported in the future because of the exact reasons you point out.

13. ~atp~

~atp~ TRIBE Member

Of course nothing is guaranteed, but vCards are a good way to do exactly what sugar is talking about, and will usually not get caught by spam filters.

14. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

Thanks guys!

15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Well I'd say this was helpful, as i wasn't thinking of the 'bigger picture' (pun intended). most of the time, images are blocked from the body of emails to save on space, bandwidth and possibly viruses. ok i am just going to send attachments.

now this thread can be safely moved to the g33k forum.

thanks from me and sugar-pants!