Poll: What will the tdot electronic music scene look like this year?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by air-bag, Mar 9, 2002.

1. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

To answer Air-Bag's questions....

1. I'm thinking quite a few big parties. Lots of corporate sponsored events. With it's pros and it's cons, I'm willing to give this a shot. So far, I've been pleased with the sponsored events I've attended.

2. Progressive house. If you'll allow me to use the term. I think we're also gonna see a lot of feel-good music. I think people are screaming for it. And they are ready.

3. I don't know.

4. The Dukes, and little Luke Fair. And ORKIDEA!!!!

5. I think it's in a shift. And I think it's looking good. I'm optimistic again. :)

Ming.

2. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

breaks are becoming the big thing. break style sounds are being incomporated into more and more genres every day it seems

trance
    progressive
    house
    techno
    jungle
    idm
    pop
    r&b
    rap

its everywhere

not in the true breaks sense, but the broken beat patterns that are in some way similar are showing up more and more, it would really be no surprise if we were to see break anthem compilations flooding hmv stands in the same way speed garage and ibiza trance compilations did in past years.

as for idm, it can never take over fully since there are hardly any djs who spin it (or spin it well)

p[l]a+0

3. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

You are in so much trouble Mr. Mingster.

4. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

who me?

do you want me to post more pics for your enjoyment or something?

p[l]a+0

5. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Since you posted that you hate that bitch Mingster cause she's always harassing you to see your tits, I no longer want to.

Sorry Attention Whore, you will be the cause of your own demise...

6. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

IM FREEE!? hooray! being a sex slave wasnt as fun as i thought it would be.

btw, who told you that? darknem?

no more lovin for him either!

p[l]a+0

7. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

the term 'breaks' has nothing to do with the beats being broken..

breaks will remain the stronger genre of the 16-20 crowd IMO.. fever last friday made that very clear to me..

progressive will stay strong.. but will not grow..

trance will be non-existant..

goa/psy-trance will cement is hold on the last and best 'underground' scene in ontario.. it wont explode like some people are saying.. probally just intensify a bit with all the good acts coming... because.. well after these acts come.. where will they go from here.. after astral projection 2x, and infected mushroom in a couple of months.. theres only 1 place.. down

on the large scale i think the most growth will come on the techno front (personally).. i think alot of progressive and trance heads could be market for something a bit firmer.. mistress barberas performance ALONE at bitersweet turned ALOT OF HEADS...

my 2 cents..

v..abstractdatatype

8. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Um....you posted it. In the "Who you hate on TRIBE" thread.
    You jerk-ass.

9. air-bag

air-bag TRIBE Member

Ming and Plato,
    There is ICQ and Private messaging for that

10. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

I don't care, as long as progressive and jungle are eliminated.

forever.

11. Trini

Trini TRIBE Member

then there'd be no electronica.

12. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

oh well. :p

13. Trini

Trini TRIBE Member

there's always downtempo right?

14. kul-kat

kul-kat TRIBE Member

i don't know most of the people who have posted in this thread, but i get the impression that people are picking their preference as the big thing to come. lol. i guess this totally makes sense because it's what you like; so it's only natural for you to think other people will think it's great too. with that ... i think dnb will rule the world. :D

actually, i do see a decline in the dnb part of the scene (unfortunately). not in the production, but in the general party go-ers. if i had to pick one genre of electronica i would say breaks does seem to be growing.

as for the parties, club nights will continue, big sponsored events will continue, and i think bittersweet lead the way to bigger 19+ "raves."

those are my thoughts. nothing much not already said.

15. Eclipze

Eclipze TRIBE Member

funkyness...
    no matter what style of music...i think it will get back to the funkyness that has been lacking in almost every genre...alot of the shit out these days has no backbone, no real deep ass jackin groove.. hopefully thats the direction things will be headed in..
    -E

smaller vibes for the beginning of the summer..lounges...bar/lounge atmosphere..200 max venues...

also i think people will be giving other styles a chance...not hangin out at system just to hear progressive..or just listening to breaks..or jungle..but heading out and listening to jungle followed by breaks and then some house..all in one night...enough of the one sound nights...for me..i get bored with one sound all night long..i have a short attention span these days...
    heh
    -E

16. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

i definitely agree.. im just saying its with the younger crowd..

i think they've collectively decided that breaks are 'their' sound..

as if there werent breaks 5 years ago.. or we were all too busy listening to trance (old wankers)..

maybe they are right? :D

v..abstractdatatype

17. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

btw, who honestly gives a fuck what "the next big thing" will be?

18. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

thank you.

music always goes through phases....who cares?

19. Nebu kad

Nebu kad TRIBE Member

i just hope you are joking Cheer Bear about the jungle.

To all you dnb skeptics, ie. Cheer Bear, toss me an email or private message. When i have have my next set mixed (not till after skool is done), i will send you a cd for free. I think some of you might be surprised at what Dnb has to offer these days.

20. Pure Silk

Pure Silk TRIBE Member

what does IDM mean?:confused:

21. Variant

Variant TRIBE Member

Thats pretty perceptive there.

Actually.. psytrance has already exploded.. its been doing so for the past year with at least 1 party a month.. a far cry from a few years back where there were maybe 10 parties all year.

And don't judge the scene by which acts are coming in.. psy, unlike most dance genres, don't play the dj-is-god game and the strongest parties are usually those with just locals.

This summer will likely prove to be huge for psy and goa types .. last year had a record amount of word of mouth outdoor parties.. there's already word of a number of wicked outdoor deals happening this year.

22. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

its a term given to the sounds of artists and bands on the warp, rephlex, 8bits, etc... rosters.
    it means intelligent dance music
    also known as braindance.

intelligent i guess in the sense that its much more complex than most club fodder, and not very accessible, as its very abstract.
    the music tends to sound very mathematical or architechtural. many of the idm artists are computer programming geeks or studied architechture.
    to my understanding.

as for me backing up my favourite genre in this thread, thats not the deal here. im no genre biggot, and if i did have a fave it would be techno and trance.

p[l]a+0

23. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

I said jungle(lighta! lighta! whoooo wants a reeewwwinnnndddd 16 year old thug JUNGLE) I don't mind deep DnB

but anyways.

I'm not joking. Jungle sucks the ingrown hair on my ass.

:p

24. Variant

Variant TRIBE Member

Immature.

Learn some tolerance and lose the attitude.

25. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

I don't have an attitude. And my musical tastes are very eclectic.

However, there are things I don't like, jungle being one of them.

Polka, being the other.

Other than that, it's alllll good. ;)

So please, don't tell *me* to learn some tolerance. If you know me, you'll soon find out i tolerate almost anything.

xoxo.