1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Police cut naked boat ride short

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Ditto Much, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

BRACEBRIDGE, ont. - It was a breezy, but short ride for a naked couple when Muskoka police made their first arrest under new Ontario legislation that takes aim at impaired boaters.

A 34-year-old woman and her 53-year-old male passenger, who had allegedly consumed a few drinks while boating on Lake Rosseau, were both naked when they were spotted by two Ontario Provincial Police officers on marine patrol Monday afternoon.

The new law causes an automatic one-year driver's licence suspension for anyone convicted of drinking and boating.

"Trying to avoid police, the woman operating the boat accelerated northbound," Const. Ted Smith of the Bracebridge OPP detachment said yesterday.

The police boat was in hot pursuit of the naked couple in the ski boat when the male passenger cut the throttle.

The woman hurriedly pulled on her bikini and the man his pants while police waited to board the boat, said Smith.

Police found open liquor but no sign of life jackets.

The woman allegedly showed such obvious signs of impairment as loss of balance.

"She was belligerent and attempted to resist the officer upon her arrest," said Smith.

Police towed the 5-metre Century ski boat back to shore and the woman was taken to the detachment for breath tests.

Charged with impaired operation of a vessel and failing to have the required life jackets on board is Unita MacNaughton, 34, of Bracebridge.

Her driver's licence was immediately suspended for 90 days and, under the new legislation passed last Thursday, she will automatically lose her driver's licence for one year if convicted of drunken boat operation.

Police didn't lay charges of public nakedness though there are a lot of cottages in the area. "It's not as if they were somewhere like a park or family beach and there wasn't a lot of boat traffic on the lake at the time," Smith said.

2. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Unita MacNaughty!

3. djdeposit

djdeposit TRIBE Member

Does this anti-drinking and boating rule apply to those who have decided to rent those big flashy houseboats for the summer? If so that would suck!

I would imagine it would still be ok to park it and get slammerd

4. AgentSanchez

AgentSanchez TRIBE Promoter

Since when does nakedness constitute 'probable cause'.

Ontario Pervert Patrol

5. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

Probably not.

This law is fucking retarded. Driving a boat and driving a car are two completely different things. You don't need a drivers licence to drive a boat.

Drunk powerboater, like the guy who killed the some of the person that pushed for this law, and hungover fisherman is not the same thing.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  6. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

ahaha... I bet those were someone's parents who got busted.

Or at least someone's dad and his secretary.

7. Sleepy Giant

Edit... that should say son of the person

not some of the person.

8. Katman

Katman TRIBE Member

What is the source on this? A buddy of mine is on the marine patrol in Muskoka

9. Katman

Katman TRIBE Member

You can drink on a houseboat or any other boat that has a head as long as it's moored.. you can't drink while driving. The definition of mooring is also a little fuzzy from what I remember.. i.e dropping an anchor in the middle of lake isn't considered being tied up etc.

10. djdeposit

djdeposit TRIBE Member

mooring does sound a little complex

11. Sleepy Giant

Wrap the anchor around the dock.

12. AshG

AshG Member

its not at all analagous, but its the same kind of logic that says parking tickets and photo-based moving violations go to the owner of the car rather than the actual person commiting the offense.

expediency > ... truth? justice? effectiveness? (maybe all of the above?)

13. annec

annec TRIBE Member

I'm not as think as you drunk I am, hofficer.

14. Taro

Taro TRIBE Member

this is where my tax dollars are going??

15. rulz

rulz TRIBE Member

this law is retarted

people go boating to get drunk in the sun

next thing we know, we will be charged with animal cruelty for eating bacon