Pearl killed by kidnappers

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by LoopeD, Feb 21, 2002.

1. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

Taken from CNN.COM:

:)d

2. Moez

Moez TRIBE Member

this story made me think of Terry Anderson who had been kidnapped by Islamic Fundamentalists in 1985 and was held by them for seven years.

3. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

Good comparison, and not just Anderson was kidnapped. Lebanon's Islamic Fundamentalists took those hostages partly to blame the West for everything bad that had happened to them in the last 10 years. That and they wanted a shitload of money and media attention.

4. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

5. Nub!

Nub! TRIBE Member

:(

-=Nub=-

6. Moez

Moez TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:(

Last edited: Feb 21, 2002
  7. TaCk OnE?

TaCk OnE? TRIBE Member

wow, that's terrible.

poor soul....rip.

8. Jazz

Jazz TRIBE Member

Sometimes I hate the world we live in...

:( R.I.P.

9. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Yay religion.
    god is such a good idea.

-jM

10. gollum

gollum TRIBE Member

god

But I like math. :)

11. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Perhaps if the United States would make exceptions to their "we don't negotiate with terrorism" policy then innocent lives would not be lost.

It sickens me to see a nation let a man die...they should have done everything in their power to ensure that Mr. Pearl didn't meet an untimely demise. There's something to be said about compassion, especially when faced by fundamentalists who are only going to become more radicalized after this inaction from the United States.

Next time it might be ten journalists...maybe twenty! What will it take for the U.S to take off their fucking blinders and realize that their foreign policy is breeding death and suffering?

R.I.P. :(

12. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

...... uh.... that would just lead to everyone with a gripe against anything in the US to just start taking hostages.
    ......that would not help anything.....

........and I would like to point out that innocent lives would also not be lost if people would not take journalists hostage.

.....And talk about idiots.... probably the only people in the world that would help these groups get their message to the world is the media. And now they saw fit to kill one of them.....

dan.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I saw this coming and I don't know how the U.S didn't, or maybe they did.

14. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

So tragic... his daughter will have never even known him.

And although I don't think that giving in to the demands would keep future kidnappings from happening, I still believe that this incident is an indirect result of U.S. foreign policy.

There's obviously a whole lot more anti-U.S. sentiment abroad than we would like to believe and especially since Sept 11th, many parts of the world are downright dangerous for Americans to be in.

Pete

15. TILT_Lance

TILT_Lance TRIBE Member

that is exactly it right there

16. Guest

Guest Guest

word

I still think that rather than simply declaring a "war" on terrorism they need to take a serious look at why it is that so many people hate them. Maybe if they could do something to change peoples opinions then they won't have to be so worried about another attack, and more importantly no more innocent american lives will be lost.

17. TILT_Lance

TILT_Lance TRIBE Member

it goes a little further than just a pure hatred towards the US, they are lashing out against all of the west, catholics, and the jews, its just it happens to the US more because of press coverage of the whole issue.....if canada was the "super power" that the US is it would all be happening to us

18. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

19. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Exactly. The current "War on Terrorism" is fighting the symptoms of terrorism and not the root causes. Instead of trying to defuse terrorism before it begins, they're creating an even more hostile environment through military force and repression.

As long as people around the world are suffering as a result of U.S. foreign policy, there will be people who want to destroy or harm the U.S. and its interests. No amount of police or military force can keep these sentiments at bay indefinitely, no matter how many billions of dollars are poured into it. The notion that terrorism can be destroyed through force is short-sighted and totally backwards. The 'War on Terrorism' as it is, stands to create future terrorists instead of wiping them all out as we are being led to believe.

Pete

20. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

21. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

Its real easy to blame all of your troubles on another country, rather than yourselves. When we have a problem with something in North America, most of us don't set bombs, kidnap people and slaughter innocents to get our point across.

Much violence in the world has nothing to do with the U.S. foreign policy, its My God Is Better Than Your God and My Bible Told Me To Kill All Unbelievers. In other words, lame excuses to commit meaningless violence.

Too many people in too many countries are still stuck in the Dark Ages, and that isn't going to change any time soon.

RIP Daniel Pearl, and I hope his killers are brought to justice. There are better ways of getting your grievances addressed than senseless killing; the more these acts of terrorism occur, the more their entire arguments look like the ravings of lunatics.

22. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

A point:

As Sporty Dan pointed out, America cannot afford to negotiate with terrorists due to the obvious fact that people will resort to kidnap again to get what they want.

In the same light, America also cannot respond to acts of terrorism by directly addressing the grievances of the terrorists, because that would show that terrorism actually works to solve your problems.

23. graham

graham Well-Known Member

Pete, you can say what you want about US foreign policy, but this was the act of horrible INDIVIDUALS murdering a person. It's appalling, and to even attempt to rationalize it within the context of the "evils of America," gives it and them too much intellectual credit, sits way too far on the side of justification, and is totally offensive.

24. graham

graham Well-Known Member

these people cut his throat with a sharp tool, his last words a declaration of his religion. There is no way they should even come close to rating any sort of political discussion, they're so far beneath it.

25. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

it frightened me to hear that one of the men from the National Movement for the Restoration of Pakistani Sovereignty said that Pearl was murdered because he was a Jew working against Islam.