Origin of F-U-C-K?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by BassInMyFace, Jan 16, 2002.

1. BassInMyFace

BassInMyFace TRIBE Member

Ok all you ancient history buffs, gimme the low down on this word.

I just found out that the word originated from,
    Fornication
    Under
    Consent -of the-
    King

Is this true? Educate me people!

2. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

AHA!

are you serious?

quick searchy-poo on the innernet:
    Etymology: akin to Dutch fokken to breed (cattle), Swedish dialect fokka to copulate
    Date: 1503

and, more interesting:
    Word History: The obscenity fuck is a very old word and has been considered shocking from the first, though it is seen in print much more often now than in the past. Its first known occurrence, in code because of its unacceptability, is in a poem composed in a mixture of Latin and English sometime before 1500. The poem, which satirizes the Carmelite friars of Cambridge, England, takes its title, “Flen flyys,” from the first words of its opening line, “Flen, flyys, and freris,” that is, “fleas, flies, and friars.” The line that contains fuck reads “Non sunt in coeli, quia gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk.” The Latin words “Non sunt in coeli, quia,” mean “they [the friars] are not in heaven, since.” The code “gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk” is easily broken by simply substituting the preceding letter in the alphabet, keeping in mind differences in the alphabet and in spelling between then and now: i was then used for both i and j; v was used for both u and v; and vv was used for w. This yields “fvccant [a fake Latin form] vvivys of heli.” The whole thus reads in translation: “They are not in heaven because they fuck wives of Ely [a town near Cambridge].”

i doubt it originated as an acronym.

--craig

3. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

fuck no.

4. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

it really started with van halen.

5. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

The story I heard is that the French had some seriously bad-ass archers in some battles against England. The bows were made out of yew tree wood and the expression for firing arrows was to "pluck yew".

The British... pissed because the French were so good, made a claim that they were going to capture as many archers as possible and cut off their middle fingers, the "plucking" finger before sending them back home, useless.

Well the English had their asses handed to them and the French taunted them after words by waving their middle finger and yelling "Pluck Yew!" which, probably because of their silly accents, sounded like Fuck You.

That's the story I heard and I'm stickin to it. [​IMG]

Pete

6. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

sammy hagar or david lee roth van halen? or one of the brothers?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm leaning more towards the Van Halen theory.

8. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

i've heard that one too, but it sounds more like a monty python skit.

whot? yew want more?

--craig

9. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

"if it weren't for my arthritis i'd give you the middle finger!"

10. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

[​IMG]
    "whot? if it weren't for the fact that my pants are painted on and the sock may fall out, i'd moon you right now."

11. BassInMyFace

Ok how van halen made their greasy way in here i will never know?

Jayisbored, you must truely be bored! [​IMG]

12. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

[​IMG]
    Phoque.

[​IMG]

13. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

I found a site that might help ya out...
    http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_268b.html

14. Deep_Groove

Deep_Groove TRIBE Member

Dear Cecil:

The following question isn't something I could send to Action Line, but I've always wanted to know: what is the origin of the "F" word? A friend told me it's an abbreviation of "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge,'' which was supposedly stamped on the foreheads of couples who were locked up in the stocks for fornicating without benefit of matrimony. Also, whither the expression "fuck you"? I've always agreed with George Carlin, who says "unfuck you" would be a more appropriate curse, indicating you hope the person you are cursing would never enjoy the pleasure of sex again, rather than wishing them the opposite. --Lois S., Mesa, Arizona

Cecil replies:

This is going to be a little crude, folks, but let's try to keep a stiff upper lip. I've heard a number of variations of the "fuck-as-acronym" story, none of which, in my opinion (and that of most linguists), is even remotely likely: (1) It stands for "fornication under consent of the king," which was supposedly tacked up over the doors of government-approved brothels in early England. (2) It stands for "for the use of carnal knowledge," which allegedly was stamped on condoms, or, alternatively, used the same way as "for unlawful carnal knowledge."

This passion for preposterous acronyms seems to be peculiar to Anglo-Americans, and some believe it started around World War I, about the same time many acronyms began popping up in government. Others I've come across include P.O.S.H. ("port outward, starboard home"), said to have been stamped on the tickets of first class passengers on India-bound British ships who wanted their cabins on the shady side of the boat during the passage through the tropics; C.O.P. ("constable on patrol"); and T.I.P. ("to insure promptness"). All are rubbish. The best guess is that "fuck" comes from the Middle English fucken, to strike, move quickly, penetrate, from the German ficken, meaning approximately the same thing. A related word may be the Middle Dutch fokken, to strike, copulate with. We get a clue here as to the level of delicacy and tenderness that has characterized the sex act down through the ages, and which is recalled by the charming epithet "fuck you."

Many other possible etymologies have been offered. Some claim the F-word (sorry to have to resort to this lame expression, but you have no idea how tiresome it can be to type "fuck" a million times) is a truncation of "fecund." Richard Spears, author of the splendid Slang and Euphemism, says the word may be a disguise of the French foutre, same meaning, which comes from the Latin futuere. Another possible origin, Professor Spears says, is the Latin pungo, to prick. Give me a break, doc.

Having totally ODed on gutter epithets, let us move briefly to the cheerful world of euphemism. Professor Spears has amassed an awesome collection of synonyms for the generative act (under "occupy," p. 278, in case you're the type who likes to look up dirty words in reference books), including the following, which gives you an idea of the never-ending richness of the English language: bang, batter, beef, bumble, blow off the loose corns, bounce the brillo, dance the buttock jig, do a dive in the dark, flimp, flurgle, foin, foraminate, futz, get one's leather stretched, get one's nuts cracked, get one's oil changed, go bird's nesting, go bush-ranging, go like a rat up a rhododendron, go star-gazing on one's back, have a bun in the oven, have a game in the cock-loft, have a leap up the ladder, have hot pudding for supper, hide the ferret, hide the salami, hide the sausage, hive it, jazz it, knock it off, lay some pipe, light the lamp, lose the lamp and pocket the stake, make her grunt, mix one's peanut butter, palliardize, pestle, pheeze, pizzle, play cars and garages, plow, plug, plook, ram, rasp, ride below the crupper, shoot between wind and water, strop one's beak, varnish one's cane, wet one's wick, wind the clock, and work the hairy oracle--some 675 synonyms in all. The ingenuity displayed in this, ahh, well-plowed ground is nothing short of awesome.

THE BARD GETS INTO THE ACT

Dear Cecil:

I hate to point this out, but you failed to mention something in your recent discussion of the origin of a certain four-letter word. I did some research and found one of the origins in a book called Shakespeare's Bawdy, which says that the word comes from "foculation," meaning to engage in intercourse. The book I mentioned is a look at sex in Shakespeare. --Melissa Z., Chicago

Cecil replies:

Thanks for writing, but if next time wait till the drugs wear off first. Shakespeare's Bawdy, a comprehensive listing of every dirty word in Shakespeare by language expert Eric Partridge, contains nothing about "foculation." On the contrary, Partridge says the word "f*ck," as he puts it, derives from the German ficken, to strike, which is what I wrote. Perhaps you were thinking of Partridge's discussion of Shakespeare's pun involving "focative" from The Merry Wives of Windsor, act four, scene one, lines 42-46, in which the somewhat stupid Sir Hugh Evans is quizzing the even stupider William on his Latin:

Evans: What is the focative case, William?
    William: O, vocativo, O . . .
    Hugh: Remember, William, focative is caret.
    Mistress Quickly: And that's a good root.

Caret (literally, "it is missing") equals carrot equals root equals penis equals f*ckative case, get it? Don't worry, I didn't either. They were going to hang Shakespeare for this pitiful effort, but he pleaded temporary inanity.

--CECIL ADAMS

- Deep_Groove

15. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

that 'pluck yew' thing is bullshit.

the word, or rather the verb 'to fuck' meant 'to hammer' in middle english. middle english is not shakespearean english, we're talking pre-chaucer here. if you read 'the reeves tale' from the canterbury tales (in it's original), chaucer does make a pun of the carpenter who fucks.

16. graham

graham Well-Known Member

make fun if you wish, but there is no denying that Pound Cake is a great song

17. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

Yeah... but it's a cute story with a happy ending. [​IMG]

Pete

18. Guest

Guest Guest

19. Variant

Variant TRIBE Member

1. In ancient England a person could not have sex
    unless you had consent of the King (unless you
    were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to have a
    baby, they got consent of the King, the King gave them a
    placard that they hung on their door while they
    were having sex. The placard had F.*.*.*.
    (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it. Now
    you know where that came from.

2. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000
    years ago that for a month after the wedding, the
    bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the
    mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because
    their calendar was lunar based, this period was called
    the honey month or what we know today as the honeymoon

3. In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and
    quarts. So in old England, when customers got
    unruly, the bartender would yell at them mind their own
    pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the
    phrase "mind your P's and Q's"

4. Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had
    a whistle baked into the rim or handle of their
    ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the
    whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle" is the
    phrase inspired by this practice.

5. In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was
    entitled Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden.... and
    thus the word GOLF entered into the English language

6.In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured
    onbed frames by ropes when you pulled on the ropes
    the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to
    sleep on. Hence the phrase "goodnight, sleep tight"

20. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Actually, an archer uses TWO fingers to fire an arrow ... the index and middle fingers.

So when the British were captured, the French cut 'em off. I'm not 100% sure of the story, but I guess in future battles, the British would display their index and middle fingers to the French as a way of saying, "Ha Ha! Still have my fingers you wankers!"

That's how the British two-fingered insult came about.

The connection between a raised middle finger and "fuck you" originated way back in Roman times. The middle finger represented an erect penis, so the gesture indicated "up yours!".

-----------
    AdRiaN

21. SENSEi

SENSEi TRIBE Promoter

On behalf of French people everywhere..

I fart in your general direction.
    You father was a hamster
    And your mother smelt of berries...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

SENSEi

22. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I thought it was eldeberries.......

and

I wave my genitals at your aunties.

23. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Hahahahah, anone that went into glam automatically gets the "lifetime target of heckling" award.

-OTIS

24. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

screw you otis!

25. BassInMyFace

Why is it only my stupid threads that get filled with pics of greasy rockers? [​IMG]