One Hit Wonders

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Libradragon, Feb 28, 2002.

1. 416

416 TRIBE Member

I agree. Those bands also suck.

2. *SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT* TRIBE Member

Radio sucks - I'm sure a lot of these bands had other great songs, but because it's not commercial enough, they don't get any airplay. The Verve album is amazing, yet all that ever gets played is Bittersweet Symphony.

I have to agree with Jeremy. Tragically Hip is one of THE most overrated bands....period.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I wholeheartedly agree that music is a personal thing, which everyone takes in their own way.

But it's unfortunately going to take a lot more than your above post to shut down all the reviewers of the world.

4. ecstasy riot

ecstasy riot TRIBE Member

Well, of course. I mean music has to be filtered right? Because without reviews & contracts between commerical media, money would not be made.

Although I agree about reviews, because there is so much shit out there, but then again, I have never really gone by magazine or newspaper reviews and made a decision to buy an album based on their ratings.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

A little heads-up for ya: Well-written, well-thought reviews can be found here.

I used to go through the different reviews and get anything with an 8 rating or more. I have found some incredible stuff that way.

Reviews are very helpful, when the reviewer has integrity and intelligence, wouldn't you say?

6. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

I'm definitely in the 'I HATE TRAGICALLY HIP' camp. you will not EVER get me to say that there is anything good about them. Painful, is all i have to say about it.

And Soundgarden? I'm sorry, but did any of you see them at Molson park in Barrie? Nine Inch Nails (who were supposed to be opening support), simply SLAUGHTERED them - musically & stage presence-wise. They were like a timid bar band on stage after that. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

And i can't believe that no one has mentioned 'The Hampster Dance' song yet.

@m.

7. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Well-Known Member

A couple of things:

1) Reviews are good even if they say that music you like is shit. If you read a certain reviewer a couple of times you get an idea of their taste, and then you know how it relates to your own, so you can make sense of how a specific review might be applicable to your likes. For instance, if you notice a reviewer tends to not like electronically based music, and and a review of an album they criticize it for having a beat and nothing else, then that he or she is obviously referring to a characteristic of electronic music, and maybe you should check out the album.

Even more specific, you can notice certain words that, even though you may not know the tastes of the reviewrer, mean something that relates to your own taste. For example, if a reviewer, any reviewer, calls a movie 'poignant and heartwarming' I stay far far away from it.

2) How about "Dancing Under a Latin Moon" by Candy... oh Candy. As for cheesy alt-rock, "Cumbersome" by, I think, 7 Mary 3

3) Janiecakes, I love you! While the following Meatloaf albums were pale reflections of the original, the glory of Bat Outta Hell will always strike a tender chord in my little heart.

"I want you, I love, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you, now baby don't be sad... Cause 2 outta 3 ain't bad." Sniff.

"On a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses..." Reoowr!

And of course "Oh it's cold and lonely inthe deep dark night... I can see paradise by the dashboard light!" There's nothing like this epic track for a duet to kick the karaoke crowd from here to hell and back again!

Oh god, I'm such a geek.

D.

8. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

Dee lite had a couple other cds out after the groove is in the heart one and they are awesome... very ahead of their time... fantastic driving music...

Also.. watch it about the hip bashin guys.. although i only like everything prior to trouble at the hen house...

Cheers,

Dave

9. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

tony tone toni
    criss cross
    lisa loeb - stay

10. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

BEST SONG EVER WRITTEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE!!

I poured it on and I poured it out
    I tried to show you just how much I care
    I'm tired of words and I'm too hoarse to shout
    But you've been cold to me so long
    I'm crying icicles instead of tears
    And all I can do
    Is keep on telling you
    I want you
    I need you
    But-there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you
    Now don't be sad
    'Cause two out of three ain't bad
    Now don't be sad
    'Cause two out of three ain't bad

11. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

Whoever said the Hip sucks has been listening to too much minimal techno music. ;)

seriously, they've got some awesome tunes, the best of which were never played on the radio............

Best Canadian rock band ever. If you can think of a better, please post it. And don't say Rush or the Guess Who, cause they both suck my left nut.

How about one-hit wonder electonic bands/acts?

Here's mine: Parks and Wilson. What have they done since their excellent 2000 Essential Mix that's even good? I'm beginning to think that EM was computer-generated in a studio........;)

:)d

12. redeyes

redeyes TRIBE Member

so true. anyone remember the "Good Beat". that whole album is amazing.

peace

13. ChROmE

ChROmE TRIBE Member

Huh Gigalo...Suckah!

Nena Cherry - Buffalo Stance

Is the one that comes to mind.....

Back to sleep now.

PeAcE&NaPsteAdy

ChROmAtOse

14. JEMZ

JEMZ TRIBE Member

At this Moment- Billy Vera and the Beaters
    That's just the way it is- Bruce Hornsby and the Range
    Walking in Memphis- Marc Cohen
    Bela Lugosi's Dead- Bauhaus
    There she goes- The La's
    (soon to be) Drops of Jupiter- Train

15. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

neil young
    rush

ps. sarah mclachlin has a nice voice.
    cowboy junkies have some nice tunes.
    amanda marshall is my upstairs neighbour. (yay me!)

16. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

dood, tell me, is she pretty?

i have seen pictures of her where i thought she looked like a babe, and then others where she looks like she had her face kicked in by skin heads.

what's the klubmasta's verdict ?

17. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

shakira is not a one hit wonder *glare*

p[l]a+0

18. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

those 2 are nto one hit wonders!

and i like moloko's other works. nice groovy trip hop and their house tracks are nice, specially on a sexy summer day :)

p[l]a+0

19. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

never heard it...at least i cant remember it..

but i woudl say their number one hit woudl have to be "set adrift on memory's bliss"

i still love that track. so good :)

p[l]a+0

20. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

true. but such a shame since the work on their albums is really good :)

check my dir on the ftp site for a couple tunes i put up there

p[l]a+0

21. Libradragon

Libradragon TRIBE Promoter

woah.

didn't think my cheesy music thread would draw out the meatloaf fans. whoo hoo.

Yes, Bat Outta Hell was my favorite. When I worked at Mrs. Fields' Cookies in Sherway Mall many many many years ago, my coworker and I played the disc on repeat. every day.

22. Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye TRIBE Member

I heard that a few weeks ago. I was watching ET and they interviewed her. She was saying how she is only going to do it one time and that the body is a beautiful thing yada yada yada.

What about the other bands that suck.. Nickleback, default, creed, jay z, ja rule and anything else that is in the top 40. I'm so sick of hearing enrique ingleasus (sp) and that alicia keys song. My suite is like the station 92.5. All i hear are the same songs over and over and over again. It's fucking hell!

23. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Well-Known Member

Thank you both, Janiecakes and Libradragon. I am glad to know that one can like Meatloaf and still be considered cool. Then again, I don't actually know either of you, so you could be both could be greasy ex-bikers without a high school education, like my dad, who is the originator of my Meatloaf love... not that tghere's anything wrong with that, I love my dad, I just wouldn't call him cool.

D.

24. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

oh yes! i love this song!

i found a huge pile of 45's once at a friends house and he gave me this track cause the b side has the "bonus beats" version which is a stripped down version. very cool. its breakbeat electro but done with that standard 80's style drumming, but the way the chorus vocals come in near the end is great! i bet i could drop it in a techno-lectro set and the crowd woudl love it :D

p[l]a+0

25. Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye TRIBE Member

i like meat loaf

well i like 2 songs by meat loaf :)