1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Offshore Bank Accounts

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Bumbaclat, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

Can anybody tell me any postive/negative experiences you've had with offshore bank accounts? A few of my friends maintain Bahama's bank accounts. I've been advised that Cook Island is much better. Also, what legal problems can one reasonably expect?

Bumbaclat

2. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

I couldn't tell you anything about that customer's secret, illegal bank account.

...crap...I shouldn't have said he was a customer

....double crap...i certainly shouldn't have said anything about it being illegal!

....it's too hot today

3. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

are you "on the pot"? :p

Bumbaclat

4. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

if "on the pot" means "know nothing about offshore bank accounts" then yes, yes I am

5. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Bumba, are you in trouble with the law again? ;)

6. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I am shocked that you would even think something like that of me. I am the picture of innocence and good intentoins. I make nuns look like badboys. :cool:

Bumbaclat

7. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

There are lots of great places to go to in terms of secret banking.

Latvia is great

of course, the Bahama's

and Lebanon

What all these nations offer is a Visa Debit card that goes straight to your account. The benefits of this, is that you can spend your money in good ole' Canada, anonymously.

I think Latvian and Lebanese banks allow you to open accounts with just a number, so your name wouldn't even be involved, which insures privacy.

Problem with secure banking these days is the increased pressure on these nations from the USA to open their books to investigators.

Switzerland, the Gem of private banking, might crack to these pressures anytime (or already has).

Cypriot banking used to be the best, till Slobodan Milosovich's accounts were exposed and people saw how easy it was to crack that government to open their books.

In canada, you can bank under $5000 secretly, in a non-interest barring account.

Hope this helps.

:) <---- Wants a visa debit card
    Karim

8. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

yes, that's what my friends have.

Bumbaclat

9. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

10. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Why are you looking for an offshore account? I don't know much about it but from I know they're only useful if you want to avoid taxes from capital gains (either as a company or private investor) or if you have some lawsuits against you and you want to protect your assets. It's a hassel to start an account if there isn't a lot at stake; some places require a large initial deposit and there are a lot of paper work and such involved, which may cost a lot.

All things aside, some good places are the Bahamas and the Cayman Islands. When you're choosing a place one thing you should look at is the political stability of the country among other things. Someone mentioned Lebonon, their laws maybe a good destination for an offshore account, but based on the political instability in that area I wouldn't put my money there. The Caymans is a one of the best places for an offshor account. There's a reason why they have the 4th most banks in the world. ;)

Pete

11. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

the money is being earned offshore in the manner mentioned above.

Bumbaclat

12. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

*bump* for you 9-5ers.....

Bumbaclat

13. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

Jersey... in the channel islands. Technically a province of England but very liberal tax laws is another consideration. I worked there for a summer its just rich ppl from england...good clubs too when you have to make a personal visit :)

14. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Well ...

I think there's an ATM on Toronto Island ... does that qualify as "offshore" banking? :)