1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Oceans

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by mingster, Mar 22, 2002.

1. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Hold on to the thread...the currents will shift...
    Glide me towards you know something's left.
    And we're all allowed to dream of the next time we touch...

You don't have to stray the oceans away...
    Waves roll in my thoughts. Hold tight the ring,
    The sea will rise...please stand by the shore.
    I will be... I will be there once more.

Pearl Jam.

Quite possibly one of the best bands ever.
    Whatever happened to them?

2. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

the seattle grunge scene died and sank faster than the titanic

3. noahmintz

noahmintz TRIBE Member

There's still around ... it's just they've been on tour for the past 2 years almost
    Apparently they should have a new album coming out sometime late this year or early next year

stu

4. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

in my opinion, their first cd was their only good one...every other one just seemed like crap after that.

5. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

"Ten" was definitely their best album.
    And it's still a great listen.
    One of the only albums that I can listen to from front to back.

Ming.

6. noahmintz

noahmintz TRIBE Member

Well your opinion seems to point you in the direction that you only ever listened to them because it was "cool"
    All of their albums have been excellent ... the band matured and so did their sound

stu

7. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

VS is my fav album by them.

Rearview Mirror
    &
    Elderly Woman behind the counter in a small town

sooo good - I still listen those songs on the reg' :D!!

(not to mention Daughter is on there too another good tune!!)

8. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

'TEN', 'VS' and 'VITALOGY' were all solid. i lost track of them after that.

favourite pearl jam song: they do an incredible version of 'CRAZY MARY' (by victoria williams) on the 'SWEET RELIEF' cd.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I haven't listened to pearl jam in sooo many years, but I thought I'd take out my copy of ten just for kicks. First off, I found a handwritten sheet in there, where I wrote my own interpretation of Release when I was um, 16? lol at that one. I think I was on acid at the time.

I have the european copy with dirty frank, wash and alive - live version. Plus some picture of Jeff Ament I found and put behind the CD holder part.

On Even Flow now. Nostalgia flowin nicely. Should be slitting my wrists momentarily. ;)

10. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Don't slit your wrists...:)
    Pearl Jam always made me feel hopeful somehow.

Ming.

11. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

Why?

Mine too. That and 'Yellow Ledbetter'.

12. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

it's all about:

black
    elderly woman behind the counter (blah, blah can't remember the rest of the title)
    yellow ledbitter

although i was never a huge fan, they put out some good music...they released about 20 live discs from various cities around the world about 2 years ago...

jc

13. Guest

Guest Guest

They're empowering. *Clenches fist in air and drops head*

14. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

*lol* OMG!

Mental. Image. Too. Funny! :D

15. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

your opinion seems to point you in the direction that you drew a conclusion based on a completely arbitrary statement reffering to what i've said on a public message board.

I always liked rock/alternative since I was 13 in the early days of skid row and ac/dc. Maybe the fact that Pearl Jam was cool had a little bit of an influence but I still liked them nontheless.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Do you want to be a lawyer when you grow up Will?

17. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

I don't know, for me music has a lot to do with chemistry. I can usually tell within 30 minutes of a song whether im going to like it or not, and it usually has absolutely nothing to do with the lyrics.

there were a few gems on their second cd (I forget what it was called). For instance....*lady standing behind the counter of a store in a small town yadda yadda yaddda* was a really good song, however, the name was just not happening....

in general, they just seemed to take a really mellow approach after *ten* and that just wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

18. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

My favourite Pearl jam song always has been and always will be "State of Love and Trust" from the Singles soundtrack.

Just the way Eddie belted out those lyrics, hard rockin' guitars, that's some quality shit right there boy...van damme...still gives me shivers

Dick

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Do you only listen to Godspeedyoublackemporer and Pink Floyd live?

20. Libradragon

Libradragon TRIBE Promoter

I love Pearl Jam. Every time i hear their songs it brings me back to those carefree highschool days in Mississauga/Oakville.

One of my close friends died in a car accident when I was in grade 11. The song that played in my car as i drove home from the funeral service was *Alive*. To this day, the song gives me goosebumps.

I had a boyfriend who sang like Eddie Vedder (well, not EXACTLY like Eddie Vedder, but pretty close). And he was quite good on the guitar as well. My favorite PJ song is *Elderly Woman* - followed by Daughter.

Cheeka, guess what the soundtrack of our evening will be like?

21. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

<---had such a crush on Eddie Vedder.

22. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

^^^ Hard to believe that was 10 years ago, I remember coming out of the theatre after seeing Singles with my friend, rushing up to Ed's Record World at Yonge and Eg and picking up the soundtrack...very underrated CD if you ask me, considering Smashing Pumpkins, The MudHoneys, Soundgarden and more all had tracks on that album, like a who's who of Seattle at the time.

23. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

*clenchs fist in air and rams it up josh's ass*

24. Guest

Guest Guest

Unless you're also doing a handstand, or lying on your back (where you're naturally inclined) that just wouldn't be possible.

25. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

You're going up the stairs in front of me.

*pushes arm higher*