National Pride:)

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by tobywan, Feb 25, 2002.

1. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

So, I already posted about the gold medal game....but this is something that deserves more than a few comments.

When the full Canadian team was announced back in December, there were many doubters and nay-sayers...after we lost the first game against the Swedes, many believed that it was all over then...when we only beat the Germans 3-2, they thought we weren't headed anywhere....but then something happened, a little spark, we tied the Czechs....then on Wednesday, 5.1 million Canadians watched our team defeat Finland 2-1....and on friday, we dominated Belarus, something that Sweden could not, 7-1....and that set the show down for the Gold Medal game....I personally wasn't just "hoping" Canada would win....I KNEW they would.

And as I said yesterday morning, millions of Canadians set aside their tax returns, loan payments, and united to watch the greatest team on paper become the greatest team on ice. I watched the majority of the game with "strangers", save for a beautiful female friend by my side, in a remote lounge in the Skydome. But every one of those 20 people in that room with me felt like friends, because for that moment in time, race and religion were set aside, age gaps abolished, and we were all Canadians.

Watching the National Anthem after the medals were awarded brought a tear to my eye, and butterflies to my stomach.

I'm very proud now, and always have been, to be Canadian:)

Bias

2. graham

graham Well-Known Member

It's nice to be able to take a break from important things and indulge in national pride

3. Guest

Guest Guest

4. Libradragon

Libradragon TRIBE Promoter

I've lived in Canada for 12 years now (and counting..), and i can't remember the last time I felt this kind of nationa pride ---- except maybe when the Blue Jays won the world series twice.

5. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

i feel great!
    so damn good to see the canadian flag being raised and singing the national anthem.

i was thinking yesterday how cool it was....its true, sports can really unite a nation....pretty much everyone who had access to a tv or radio yesterday was tuned into the game. and with the victory, everyone was feeling the same happy excitied feeling!!!

very cool:D:D

:)sarah

6. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

Young street last night was a great example of people coming together as Canadians.
    It was wicked - everyone was losing their minds... being completely friendly to one another and totally united.
    For the first time in a long time everyone had something to celebrate :D:D

7. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

I completely agree.

Yesterday I went to a concert with my sister at 2:00 and we were going to skip the second half to make it home for the game, the first half was so short though and we were torn between staying for the entire thing, as it was only 2:30 when the first half of the recital was finished and we thought we would only miss the first half hour of the game. We sat there for about ten minutes trying to figure out what to do, and we decided to run home and watch the game.

We sat there watching my t.v. battling with the bunny ears on my dial t.v. trying to figure out where within all the snowiness on my t.v. was the puck and who scored each goal. It felt SO good to watching that game, jumping up and down screaming every time we scored.

My sister had to take a train and leave at 4:00 so we ran outside with a little radio in hand so we wouldn't miss any part of the game . We were laughing at how we must look running with suitcases and that litle AM/FM radio blasting CBC! The streets were so earily deadWe knew everyone had to be inside watching the game. We grabbed two separate cabs and she went to catch her train and I went to Pete's to a better t.v. to watch the third period with them.

For hours after the game all I could hear were horns on the street.

it felt SO GOOD to watch them win yesterday.

What a game! and What a feeling!

8. patio-d

patio-d TRIBE Member

the fact that the whole city was shitty drunk helped. everyone seemed as bored (and boring) as ever on the subway this morning though.

9. Moez

Moez TRIBE Member

dammit, that post by Subsonic Chronic was me.

stupid logging out. lol.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I understand national pride but I don't understand the fucknuts that wear the Canadian flag, just the Canadian flag.

11. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

yeah that might have helped :)

I'm suprised that people aren't more excited today... hardly anyone is even talking about it at my office.
    I thought it would be a WAY bigger deal.

12. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

haha

i got out of the subway at yonge and college to go home, and all i could smell was beer!

13. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

As I posted in the other thread, my favourite part of the night was hearing the crowd at the E Centre rock out the Canadian Anthem as the game came to a close. :D :D

Pete

14. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

national pride is great. it makes people feel proud and UNITED.

waving a canadian flag does not mean that you approve and support ALL canadian governmental policies, it just means that you are proud of your country - proud of its history, proud of its people and proud of its accomplishments.

so LAY OFF the american flag-wavers!!! just because you don't like george dubya bush or their current foreign policies, that's no reason to scoff at the american flag or the fact that they enjoy displaying their national pride as much as we do.

15. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

There's a few things about sports that I don't understand.
    This pride thing is one of them.

I don't have anything again sports, so don't get me wrong as I continue, but I do have a question that I just -dont get-.

I don't understand the connection between that hockey team doing well and national pride. I don't understand any correlation whatsoever about how when that team wins, it has anything to do with 'canadians' or any one of us specifically. When I am at the bar and a goal is scored, everyone goes nuts, but I feel nothing at all, and I dont understand what it is that makes those guys all excited.

Also when people say "we won". "We" didn't do shit. Personally, I was at work dealing with customers, and the fans were on a couch drinking beer... They won... those guys on the team, who worked hard and succeeded... They obviously feel proud and for good reason...

but I flatly don't understand the empathy that the country sort of takes credit for the success of a few of those guys on the hockey team and I feel I am missing out.

I mean, people don't get all crazy when our currency out-improves other nations, even though each of us has more to do with that than this hockey game. Nor do we get all frenzied when international feats of productive co-operation (as opposed to arbitrary competition) succeed (ie. international space station).

Anyways... Could someone explain to me where the connection between guys playing hockey in salt lake and overwieght guys drinking beer in a bar is?

-jM
    A&D

16. patio-d

patio-d TRIBE Member

i grew up with hockey. i spent as much of my winters on ice as i did at school... i still play hockey almost every night, and there really is nothing i love more. and that is a common Canadian experience.
    i am not generally a flag-waver or a hero-worshipper, but i almost cried yesterday and I am SO UNBELIEVABLY PROUD of every member of that team. the whole world obsesses over football and good for them, because to be passionate over something so universal is a great thing... but we're the lucky ones, because hockey is the greatest game there is. and if you don't get it, you just don't get it.

17. Cannabus

Cannabus TRIBE Member

maybe you should roll over and go back to bed if you need someone to put it on paper for you to understand...

like :eek: :eek: holy stupid post...

18. Cannabus

Cannabus TRIBE Member

anyways what what Patio-D says..agree 100%

[​IMG]

19. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

...just a bunch of rich white men(bar one) playing a game...let's find our source of pride in something other than sports....or celebrating true amatuer athletes at the least...

ah....I watched as well.......

20. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

easy cannabus, it's not a stupid post at all. lots of people feel that way.

watching sports is a form of ENTERTAINMENT. it is more entertaining to attach some form of personal significance to the outcome, such as the fact that one of the teams has jerseys with your country's name on them.

you're right that it's artificial, but who cares? it's entertaining.

(also, sports fans may feel personal connections to certain players if they have been following his/her career for a long time.)

21. patio-d

patio-d TRIBE Member

like what? war? brittney spears?

how about our currency out-improving other nations? zzzzzz.

22. Preroller

Preroller TRIBE Member

CA-NA-DA CA-NA-DA

Best Day ever!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'll take a stab at it for you Jeffsus......

Most of us grew up playing hockey and I guess WE'D all like to be the ones representing our great country. But when you listen to the team talk after the games, they thank everyone, and say things like they won it for us, and for Canada, so I guess that's why we say we, ???

Also we are from Canada, and we did win, so that's why we would say it. Plus if there were no fans it wouldn't matter, but look at how many there were.....preyty much everyone but you, are you Swedish?

Maybe no one cheers for our currency exchange or stuff like that, because no one realy is a fan of doing that, I don't know. It would be pretty boring. Plus, we'd loose to USA all the time, at least we can beat them at hockey.

like the farmer who grew the grain for the bread that Joe Sakic eats, is doing his part for Canada that way, he is part of the team that is CANADA....
    I'm really rambling here

I personally was crying after the game for joy, of course, and was just elated at seeing all these other Canadians putting aside their differences for one day and showing the rest of the world what were all about and how wikked we are at partying and having a good time. I can honestly say that this was a life changing event for me, I feel different right now.... like after the game we took to the streets and I/ve lost my voice from singing OH Canada so many times.!!! Me had the Megaphone masssive and the cops were so cool about everyone whooping it up. It was insane to see all these cars driving aroubnd honking and waving our beatiful flag in glory!!!!!!!a whle buch stopped and joined us for Oh Canada's and beer. after a couple of hours on the streets we took our show to the bar and had equal fun. I ended up parting with so many cool people young and old just happy to be from Canada. I even toasted the entire bar to the mens and womens hockey teams and to Canada for the most medals ever won at the olympics for us!! It was amazing the bar is going nuts, people are buying us drinks and the bar gave us 1967 Leafs stanley cup toques!! eh!!!

OH CANADA
    Our home and native land
    True patriot love in all thy son's command
    with GLOWING HEARTS we see thee rise,'
    The TRUE north STRONG and FREE,
    from far and wide OH CANADA
    We stand on guard for thee
    God keep our land
    Glorious and Free
    OH CANADA We stand on guard for thee!!!!
    OH CANADA WE STAND ON GUARD FOR THEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH Baby what a day for Canada.
    more pride to come....

Dave Koert.....Canada

23. Cannabus

Cannabus TRIBE Member

I know it was a spur of the moment "not thinking" post... :rolleyes:

24. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

...I just think a slightly more measured response would be the way to go....

...I don't think sports are evil, nor are they very important either...at all really....it's a constructed reality....hmmm...that did not really make sense....

...they said in the papers that about eight million people watched the game...lets make that number an even ten...it still means about 15-16 million people did not watch the game nor most likely cared about it....

...sports are only as important to you as you want them to be..they don't mean anything in the "big picture"..but then..what does???....

...don't get me wrong , I was glued to the set, and several girlfriends have complained about me watching and taking an interest in watching the Leafs too much....

...but as someone said earlier....everyone's back to work....and as cold as ever...

25. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

We feel pride at the achievements of our Olympic athletes because they are representing OUR COUNTRY, a country which hopefully has molded its own unique place in the world in the shadow of THE crushing superpower of our time. We feel united by this because most of us want to see people representing our nation excel and symbolically show the world what we are made of. I think a lot of this stuff you either feel or don't. It's a lot of intangible emotional symbolism. I personally feel it. Jeffsus doesn't. O CANADA either way. I have always loved the nation I was born into, for reasons which far outshine our national glue of hockey fanaticism. This is just one of those moments where something as insignificant as a two games of hockey won can transform into something emotionally real and wonderful through the collective emotional subconscious of the nation.

BBB.

Fucking right Canada won the Olympics. The Winter Olympics ARE hockey, in my mind. (Apologies to every athlete from every other sport represented at the games.)