1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Muzik top 50 Dance albums

Discussion in 'Jungle Room' started by rentboy, Mar 19, 2002.

1. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

In the Feb. ish of Muzik they did a Top 50 Dance Albums of all time special, however, there was not one drum 'n bass album in that 50.

No 'Timeless', no 'New Forms'...what a crock of shit.

They had Madonna's Ray of Light in there for Chrissakes...

I can't believe i keep buying this magazine, they continue to ignore drum 'n bass...they did a cover on Kosheen but that only because Kosheen got big in clubland through a prog house remix of 'Hide U'.

wankers the lot of them

2. Tricky kid

Tricky kid TRIBE Member

come on

don't you know already junglists don't dance...they have astronaught sneakers and they stand looking hard by the speakers

:)

3. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

silly rentboy, don't you know jungle is dead??:D

mixmag told me so

4. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Haha!! apparently Mixmag is all over d 'n b again cuz of chart friendly tunes like Shake Your Body.

Yeah, drum 'n bass is back :rolleyes:

They put in this little column about how drum 'n bass has been going through this darksound for 5 years (which they translated as being 'dead'),...oh, but it's back now thanks to Hide U and Shake Your Body....funny, there has been tons of funky and vocal based tunes for the past 5 years....

The editor of mixmag was also bombarded by the DOA board and his response was that the mag didn't have a drum 'n bass writer...how fuking lame is that???

Muzik may not represent either but i gives them props for exploring and bigging up lesser known talent for the past year...unlike shit rags like Ministry and Mixmag who never fuck up about Ibiza and Ayia Napa.

ok, now i've vented
    :D

5. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

haha, yeah that was pretty funny. He then went on to say something along the lines of mixmag only covers things that are IN(shocker, i know), and that it was something like his duty to cover the cool and hip things, because people only want to read about the "IN" things. It was something like that anyway.....

what a cool dude!

6. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

drum and bass never dies,just metamorphed into something bigger...people's fascination with "jungle" died!

that "period of adjustment" when it went dark was the start of something sooo big for that genre...ed rush is the biggest player in the game past,present,future!

that sound transcended into what is is now being called the resurgence of drum nad bass.the only real thing happening now is that year after year,more and more talent is coming up and creating new sounds for new heaeds getting into it and old heads redefining what drum and bass is.It was very much alive,those folls just didnt pay attention!

7. -Rudebwoy_Chin-

-Rudebwoy_Chin- TRIBE Member

I'm just glad they acknowledged Shadow like that. I can't believe they ranked Entroducing #1.

ez

8. tella

tella TRIBE Member

speaking of new forms..did you know that roni size is in the guiness book of records. i was at work, being ultra productive and i can't remember which year it was..but they had a picture of roni size and a lil blurb about how new forms was the best selling drum and bass record. was kinda cool.

ahahha. a friend of mine called me up one day and told me to turn on the radio to 103.5. so i did as i was told and this tune was playing (the rmx of hide you). tony monaco went on to say how clubs go crazy when this track is dropped. 500 guys going off to it at paparazzi must make it cool then! can't forget the tony monaco factor. :rolleyes:

as far as magazines go, knowledge is pretty much the only one i pick up on a regular basis. a couple of weeks ago i did buy a copy of IDJ only because reprazent was on the cover. the magazine was great if you're into more of a technical side of things (i.e reviews of mixers, samplers, headphones, blah blah blah). i probably won't pick it up again tho unless i see dj die on the cover once more ;)

btw..chris, received your email..and i'm right on top of it! thanks so much.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2002
  9. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Muzik top 50 Dance albums

Ha, I got that Guiness Book of World Records for Christmas from somebody, and I open it up and see a pic of Roni Size. I had to do a double-take.

10. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

I just picked up the March ish of Muzik...in it there is a page talking about reader feedback on the chart...there are a few letters listed...here is the drum 'n bass related one.

"Dear Muzik
    How disappointing! Not one drum 'n bass entry! Drum 'n bass is the only style of music to ever be invented, nurtured and exported successfully by Britain."

Muzik mags response:

"What about UK Garage? We weren't sure "New Forms" or "Timeless" had quite stood the test of time, but it's matter of personal taste innit?"

WTF type of reply is that???? :mad:

Why did they bring up UKG?? It's still in the process of developing a following and hasn't had any notable inspirational album releases.

Timeless and New Forms are both hugely influential to many drum 'n bass artists and followers...and wtf is this 'not standing the test of time' shite???
    They have the new Roots Manuva album listed, Madonna's piece of crap came out in 1998, the new Felix Da Housecat album is there too....so, have they stood the test of time?

NO.

time to put pen to paper me thinks :)

11. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

serious, send em a letter!

Its fucking bullshit. Timeless still sells at the stores, as does New Forms. New Forms won the fucking Mercury Music Prize (well Reprazent won it for New Forms), if that doesn't say 'hey this is a great album' then i don't know what does.

Speaking of Full Cycle, it'd be really nice if they did something good, sometime soon.