Mp3/CD Players = Godsend

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by el presidente Highsteppa, Jan 12, 2002.

1. deep

deep TRIBE Member

He just means that there is no removeable media i.e. CD. Data is stored solid state in those types of players. One benefit of this is a lack of moving parts = no skipping

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Creative has wicked firmware and driver updates. Since I got my player, they've increased the upload/download speeds, decreased the start-up time and made the fonts smaller on the screen, so I can see the whole file. Firmware upgrading is the shit. It will also be able to support future file types.

Also, my player has never skipped.

Can you tell I love it? They're pretty cheap now too (relative to what I paid). I think they're going for about $500.

3. D-Monic

D-Monic Well-Known Member

This is why i love my iPod... slightly larger then a Cassette tape... 5GB harddrive, 32MB RAM = 20 skip protection... and it connects via Firewire... I dumped 2GB of tunes on there in < 1.5 minutes...

Go iPod!

4. D-Monic

Damn lack of edit button...

i meant: 32MB RAM = 20 minute skip protection

5. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

wanna sell it to me for .... say $100?

i'd get one - but $600 is really steep. hopefully they'll go down in price soon.

--craig

6. I understand though, that if you drop one that has a harddrive, you risk fucking it up bigtime. Is that true?

From the Ministry of curious....

Prime Minister Highsteppa

7. D-Monic

Meh... the price you pay for new technology... it's the same price for a really high-end discman...

Best money I've spent in ages...

8. D-Monic

If you drop anything electronic you risk fucking it up big time...

9. I mean that hard drive equiped mp3 players are especially delicate...

From the Ministry of mine's shock resistant

10. D-Monic

Well... I put mine through the 'violent shake' test... still works fine.

[​IMG]

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I've dropped mine on the road, and once on my floor. Didn't skip a beat.

You would think I work for Creative, the way I'm hyping their fucking product. I want their new 20 gig player. 700 hours - sweet baby jeebus.

12. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

Hey, pay attention... 6gb hard drive player he was talking about... lots of moving parts, and sensitive too...

Though I guess I don't have to tell you about hard drive failures [​IMG]

13. deep

deep TRIBE Member

as far as I know those types of mp3 players use ibm's microdrive technology, which is used for laptops and what not and a bit more resistant to shock damage than pc hard drives.

14. deep

deep TRIBE Member

indeed...big time geek drool factor

mac got it right with the ipod as far as I'm concerned...it doubling as a portable data medium is cool too, and firewire is a way better interface than usb

and of course the obligatory mac styling

If I wanted a non mp3 cd player, it would be the ipod.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

So does this mean you'll be only carrying around less cds around everytime you go out? Like only a dozen?

16. Variant

Variant TRIBE Member

1. Get the 20meg model. If you need more than 6 gigs on you at any one time then the walkman isn't the issue.

2. True.. a breakdown would suck however they are pretty easy to replace. You can actually upgrade on your own if you want. At least my model is able to.

3. But one involves $$$. [​IMG]

4. Got me there.

17. No.

From the Ministry of what you complaining about? I'm the one lugging it.

18. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

coming soon will be the Rio Riot - 20GB mp3/wma player. it will be interesting to see how well this sells. considering it is a USB device it will be painfull to fill the beast with music - about 220 minutes at the max datarate of 12mbps for USB.

if only PCs came standard with firewire as MACs do then this wouldn't be such a problem. although 20 GBs is an awful lot of space.

it also comes with an FM tuner and [snicker]NiMH[/snicker] battery that lasts a marathony four hours.

Creativfe is due to come out with a firewire, 20GB unit soon. we'll see how that goes.

--craig

19. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

20. Silverback

Silverback TRIBE Member

I'd like to get a portable mp3 player as well, more than likely not an mp3/discman. Any info on the D-Link Roq It? Any good?