1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Movies

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by terrawrist III, Feb 25, 2004.

1. UR

UR TRIBE Member

Corpse Bride was a good flick. I enjoyed it anyways.

2. Re: omgomgomg

Glad you liked it. I think it's the most re-watchable in the series. The slow parts actually have a few things in it that they convey more than just dead moments on film. While it isn't the tour de force that Oldboy is, that's probably because the source isn't from a Manga.

I found a place that has copies for sale come next week :D So happy.

3. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

Re: omgomgomg

this will make my sick night in a little better.

4. voytek

voytek TRIBE Member

Re: Re: omgomgomg

or it might make you sicker ;)

There is a whole lot of Korean films on torrents, and living in Korea, I see a shitload of excellent trailers on TV for Korean Gangsta Dramas (tm)... But I don't know where to start and I don't want to waste my time or bandwidth on guessing. Do you perhaps have a list of titles for that specific genre? Something where people are dying a lot for hot Korean femme fatales or something like that? Brutal violence would be a bonus...

5. deep

deep TRIBE Member

check out moo goo lai pan the enforcer of death

6. Re: Re: Re: omgomgomg

Gangster Dramas are an aspect of Korean cinema that really hasn't made a huge impact overseas quite as much as a single genre. The current Korean craze reflects the whole cinema in general, with a bit of a bias towards their Horror movies being exhibited probably because North America is still riding the whole Asian Horror thing into the ground (and headed straight towards the earth's core). The Gangster genre is still being dominated by the Chinese and Japanese because of the operatic overtones their films contain for the Chinese films, or the duty and honour themes that the Japanese pioneered. Korea is still finding its voice I find for gangster films, and still has North/South and reunification themes dominating most of their films.

To answer your question though, I'd recommend A Bittersweet Life which was directed by the guy who did Tale of Two Sisters. It's pretty good and not what I expected at all.

7. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

Dead or Alive is gangster themed, has brutal violence, a scene involving a kids swimming pool you'll never forget, and an ending thats ummmm.. unique...

Check it out :D

8. Yeah, but it's not Korean. Great film by Miike though.

9. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

I especially like the extreme beach volleyball scene.

10. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Romper Stomper still kicks ass.

Hadn't watched it in a few years and i forgot how enjoyable it is.

Always had an affinity for raw, Aussie Indie movies. And Russell Crowe is superb in it.

11. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Yo Chris, have you seen Oliver Assayas' 'Demonlover'?

12. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

no...what's it about?

13. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Briefly encapsulated it's a mulitnational art-house corporate espionage thriller with the high-tech poronography market at the core of the narrative. It's really like nothing I've ever seen. Sonic Youth does the score.

Chole Sevigny, Connie Nelson and Gina Girshon all deliver great performances. It's got a shades of Lynch, Cronenberg all crafted with a undeniably French hand. It had the Cannes audiences booing and hissing when it debuted a few years back, which I think is aces.

I'm sure you'd find it as brilliantly flawed as I did.

http://www.palmpictures.com/videos/demonlover.html

14. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

thanks, i'll be sure to rent it :)

15. miss riot

miss riot TRIBE Promoter

I saw Harry Potter today because well when you've seen the previous ones in the theatre you might as well see them all & I don't know too much of the HP scoop but I do hope it's the last one. It was so upsetting that I payed 19$ for us to see it. It would have been kind of okay if it wasn't for the extra coming-of-age shit. Harry Potter was good when it stuck to the children's fantasy game. Meh. I wanted to leave the theatre at so many points but couldn't justify wasting money. I so should have went to see Water. I saw Chronicles of Narnia a few days ago too, liked that much better than HP surprisingly.

Life & Debt is on my asap to-see list. I've heard amazing things about this doc.

Ellie parker also seems to totally speak to my sentiment.

16. Soulster

Soulster TRIBE Member

17. terrawrist III

love the way it was shot...really great cat fight too;)

18. shylock_one

shylock_one TRIBE Member

Flawed being definately the key word here. I wanted to like this film but I don't feel that it was able to deliver.

19. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

Try Alexandra's Project on for size then.

20. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

Im excited for it too... The original is such a clever movie (I am a sucker for cartoons...)

In other news....
    The Transporter 2 is coming out on DVD on January 10...
    Can you say double Transporter time?!?!

21. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check it :)

22. Tins

Tins TRIBE Member

Wow... I loved the Goblet of Fire movie. I had heard mixed reviews before I finally saw it last week and totally loved it. I was so excited when it started and enjoyed the whole thing.
    I found it much better than the Prisoner of Azkaban movie.

23. terrawrist III

recently watched the constant gardener and hustle and flow...both absolutely amazing and worthy of the attention they're getting...both also make the best of the year list:)

24. mitsuko souma

mitsuko souma TRIBE Member

If anyone has yet to see the genius that is "The 40 Year Old Virgin"...go rent it right now, its theFUNNIEST SHIT EVER!!!!

25. miss riot

miss riot TRIBE Promoter

Didn't you find the coming-of-age dance sequence and the Hermione breakdown over how "boys just don't understand !" *cue crying and smudged makeup* to be obscenely gratuitous?