Mixing: pitch control vs. touching the plate

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Smiley Jo, Jan 11, 2002.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

In the old days (disco and and often apres disco 80' 84) when real drums were used on records, records would always fall out or jump ahead so you always had to have a finger handy.

Back in my day it was more about combining what you had (and it was often unmixable anyway) because you were playing records that were important to you and/or the clubbers at that moment. It could have been mixing Cure records with Depech mode and Donna Summer, or laying down Madonna's first 12" (Everbody) as an underpinning for the some Rare Groove by Illusion or Michael Jackson. We didn't have the luxury(?) of thousands of records that use the same time code to generate locked BPMs and long breakdowns that anybody could learn to beatmix with a few days practice given the right tools and another DJ showin' him how.

Riding the pitch control is do-able because of the time code really, its not like understanding quantum physics or painting a Picasso. Its more like baking a cake a la Betty Crocker.

The fingers are key. I was at Stereo the first night David Moralis spun and was standing next to him as he did this mix - rotating a Jocelyn Brown vocal 12" with his finger (the turntable wasn't even turned on) to a perfect 33.3 for like 3 minutes while he eased it into house record. After the mix he turned to me and said: "wow! I've never done that before!"
    I kidded him that it musta been the turntables (gold limited edition 1200's). It was the most amazing finger spin I have ever seen.

The beaty of the tools are that they can be touched.

SJ, any girl that can bake cookies like you should be DJing! Its in the soul you know.

2. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

WHAT?

[​IMG]

d.code = the dj known as ENGINE

Cheers
    -ENGINE

3. Mike Richards

Mike Richards TRIBE Member

Only a select Few like the Late Great Larry Levan could mix live stuff very well!!!

4. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Christian Pronovost in Mtl,John Acquaviva can do it, and so can I. But the BPM of these records ranges from like 98 to 128, and would have most of today's clubbers nodding off [​IMG]

Breaking it up is sometimes good with those old records just to keep people from napping (or getting up to mischief in their tents at the 3 day).

5. dj velocity

dj velocity TRIBE Member

Pitch is for larger tweaking try doing this with touching the plate and its gonna sound like pure sheit. Once you're in the range of the two records being spot on now touch the plate/record if needed to fine tune just right and for imediate response (no lag that would occur with pitch adjust). Now, move the pitch control slightly in whatever way you just corrected the track.

simple :p
    mixing 101

6. TraNceAhoLic

TraNceAhoLic TRIBE Member

I would have loved to hear a set from you back then, but i was 8

if you promise to spin next tbk function I will drag my ass out of the house and definately be there!