Mixing: pitch control vs. touching the plate

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Smiley Jo, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Jazz

Jazz TRIBE Member

For all it's worth (which isn't much), I use both. I always thought using both was the norm.

2. Smiley Jo

Smiley Jo TRIBE Member

With only one turntable??
    I don't know about that... [​IMG]

Joanna [​IMG]

3. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

You people who touch... do you touch the record?

Just wondering, I usually touch the side of the platter to slow and to speed up I twist the centre piece, not the actual vinyl.

pr0n

4. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

do people actually touch their vinyl? i nearly flip out on people when i'm out and they hand me a record i just put on like it was a dinner plate

no touchy the grooves s.v.p.

5. Suke

Suke TRIBE Member

Well ... when I'm behind the 1's and 2's I do the pitch and everything is on point like The House Of Pain, but SOMETIMES I have bad luck because the mix and blend sessions tend to fall off after a minute which doesn't make much sense to me. To rectify the situation I tweak the beats on one record and with the other hand I am trying to use the control on the other record. I'm hoping that people won't hear the fall-off because I am tweaking to cover up the pitch touch up.

S=D=7 TURBOMIX 7.0

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I use both and I also twist that little knob thingy in the middle. you can do that in the middle of a mix and you won't hear the records change pitch.

7. CC

CC TRIBE Member

that would just take more talent. imagine if you could.....

CC

8. Suke

Suke TRIBE Member

Word Dazed. Word!. You know the drill.

Moved UNDERCOVER dj and no one else will know ... like WHOA!

9. Chiclet

Chiclet TRIBE Promoter

Some of the best DJs in the world never touch the platter.

I like riding the pitch. That way when you have to correct, it's not nearly as noticeable. Plus, you can correct using both decks simultaneously.

I can usually do it pretty easily, except for when I'm nervous, lol [​IMG]

10. Chiclet

Chiclet TRIBE Promoter

Or, rather, it's easier to correct w/ both decks.

Using solely the pitch also leaves more freedom to play w/ the eqs and what not with the other hand.

11. Lexicon

Lexicon TRIBE Member

Both.

I usually prefer slowing down the record by running finger along the platter, occasionally, speeding up by giving a slight subtle nudge on the vinyl label.
    (however, when dealing with melodies, speeding up/slowing down using hands-on technique can cause quite abrupt key changes, that is one reason why using pitch sliders are the best option.)

When in the mix, as much as possible I'll try not to touch the vinyl or platter, purely using the pitch slider to make minute adjustments.

It all depends on situations, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

12. SENSEi

SENSEi TRIBE Promoter

A little from column A
    A little from column B

I try to use the pitch as much as possible..

I'd have to agree that most of the best Dj's are all about the pitch..

Push/Pull is for emergency situations..

SENSEi

13. Finch

Finch TRIBE Member

I always use basically only the pitch control when I'm beat-matching the cued record in my headset - but during the live mix, I might touch the platter or spindle to speed/slow the record.

But I agree with everyone here - if you can stick to just adjusting the pitch control, everything should work out better for you. Simply because it's a more gradual change - if you start going the wrong way, you can usually fix it before it gets really bad. But if you push a record when you should have slowed it down, it instantly sounds like shit...

Finch.

14. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

i try to just use the pitch control, but sometimes IT'S SPINNING AND IT'S JUST SO PURDY, I GOTTA TOUCH IT!

when you're recording though, try to avoid touching the record at all since it becomes much more noticeable when played back.

i also think it's important to mention that almost every adjustment by hand to the record, should be followed up with an adjustment on the pitch control anyhow. if the speed is out, it needs to be corrected.

15. funkNstyle

funkNstyle Well-Known Member

Touch the platter to slow and the actual record to speed up. All the colour on my vinyl is faded around the whole from pusing it forward.

I wish i could just use the pitch but as everyones said its a hard habit to break. VERY hard.

jonny

16. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

pitch control is the best.
    especially if you go from you're own turntables, to someone else's shitty belt drives, touching the plate is a *bad* idea.

plus riding the pitch control always sounds as subtle as you move it, whereas different records push easier than others(especially warped ones) and can throw you off..

17. Robb G

Robb G TRIBE Promoter

I couldn't agree with you more, you will always hear a DJ's "adjustments" when he/she is pushing or pulling, using the pitch is way more subtle and harder to detect.

Just watch any veteran DJ who constantly has silky smooth mixes....they ALWAYS use the pitch.

Robb

18. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

I never touch the plate. I used to all the time... but now- I usually always have one hand on the pitch so it can always be fixed. Makes it easier to play on 3 decks that way.

Cheers
    Tyler

19. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

Always having your hand ont he pitch =
    accuracey
    perfect controll
    and you will find your skills will improve alot faster.

20. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

d.code = DJ Red Green

Remember, Always Keep Your Hand On The Pitch.

And if you can't be handsome, be handy!
    (#1 rule of the DJ. ie. Tiesto vs. DJ Dan)

21. Mike Richards

Mike Richards TRIBE Member

Using The pich only is much more subtle. Even if you screw up some times it's not as noticable when you let the motor do the work. So I guess I would say use the pitch control.

22. TraNceAhoLic

TraNceAhoLic TRIBE Member

pitch control myself, it gets difficult, but it's worth it in the end

coelridge gave me this little piece of advice in the summer!

thanx man [​IMG]

23. satori

satori TRIBE Member

I prefer using the pitch control but when it comes time to bust out the tricks (doubles, scratching,offbeat spinbacks to back on beat,juggling etc) it's impossible to avoid the platter. When playing on 3 decks it's most important to always use the pitch control because when you constantly have 2 or 3 decks running at the same time even the slightest touch can cause a train wreck. I personally find that practicing mixing with just the pitch control and without headphones is a good way to sharpen up your skills.

24. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

ive got pretty old pieces a shit geminis...so ive got to touch the plates

definetly works though!

hey smiley jo...what do you spin?

25. DJAlchemy

DJAlchemy TRIBE Promoter

haha pure gold! I think I've even seen the heinekin bottle make an appearance before. [​IMG]

I'll push/pull when I'm cueing up and beatmatching, but during a mix I try not to touch the record; especially to speed it up. Sometimes the record may be a lil loose on the mat and by pushing it even a little you could throw it several bars ahead by accident. I think that touching the platter gently to slow it down is acceptable, but as Matt Said riding the pitch is the best way to go.

Peace & love. D