1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Mardi Gras Sexual Assult photo wins NPPA Award

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by matty, Apr 1, 2002.

1. matty

matty TRIBE Member

A photo of a woman being sexually assulted during Mardi Gras in Seattle has won a national award for best photojournalism. It's a repulsive picture, capturing a sick event. Makes me wonder how we can call ourselves civilized. People are fucked. Period. The smiles on some of the people faces in the picture are what really get to me.

Photo and story here.

2. poker face

poker face TRIBE Member

that is fucked!

I would never go near festivals like mardi gras!

People need head checks in this world!

3. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

that's fucked...

4. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

that is absolutely frightening.

5. Moez

Moez TRIBE Member

that picture is AWFUL!

made my stomach flip.

6. redeyes

redeyes TRIBE Member

those people need an extreme beating. sexual assault isn't cool and alcohol is no excuse.

7. deep

deep TRIBE Member

At least the guy's faces are still visible so their asses may be kicked

8. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

disgusting.

thats like watching the videos from the last woodstock.. seeing all the women being raped in the crowd..

9. Lurch

Lurch TRIBE Member

How fucking desperate do you have to be to do something like that!!!!!

P.S. the guy grabbing at her crotch looks like Galactic Phantom haha

10. Lurch

Lurch TRIBE Member

WTF !!!!!!!! Are you serious, reading that made my stomach turn!!!!

11. Aphrodite

Aphrodite TRIBE Member

I can imagine how violated she feels. I'm sure at least one of them penatated her. She'll probably never be the same again. I hope she's alright where ever she is :(

I will never understand men in groups. the things they can do...

12. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

Wow, I feel sick after seeing that! That poor women, she will probably be in therapy for years. That is so awful. My heart goes out to her. :(

13. funkNstyle

funkNstyle TRIBE Member

People are whack and need to control their god damn hormones.

Like redout said, Alcohol is no excuse.

I feel sorry for that poor woman, u'd think a decent guy woulda stepped in and helped her out.

14. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

does anyone know the outcome of this though? if it happened recently and those guys are quite easily identifiable, surely there must have been something that came out of it....

15. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

i went to mardi gras a few years ago and I remember seeing a lot of old men carrying around camcorders and trying to video tape every shirt lifting incident. they would run up when something was about to happen and try to get the best shot of the girl.

it's a great party and a lot of fun, but there are a fair share of perverted sickos out there that ruin it for others to enjoy.

--craig

16. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

omg....
    thats horrible.

i saw a story about a similar occurance in Central Park last summer. the home video showed in the story on tv showed amob attacking women, and many passerbys (including POLICE) standing by and watching.

what is wrong with people??

:)sarah

17. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

Yeah, it surprises me that out of all those people, no one tried to step in and help.

:(

18. matty

matty TRIBE Member

Read this article about a guy who did try to help a woman out during Seattle's Mardi Gras. He was beaten and killed.

:mad:

Seattle Times

19. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

^^^that is horrible!! :eek:

question, isnt mardi gras normally held in new orleans and not seattle??

p[l]a+0

20. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

wow... seeing that picture made me feel sick. I can't believe sometimes the horrible acts that we are capable of.

Pete

21. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

The guy next to the guy that looks like Galactic Phantom looks like Pinball Clemons.

I never really believed in Mardi Gras. I thought it was just plain stupid, and just asking for trouble.

I used to watch COPS in Mardi Gras, and there is so much scary shit that goes on during these festivals, that it's better just to stay away. The real Mardi Gras is not what Wild On portrays it as.

:( <--- My heart goes out to the woman in the picture.
    Karim

22. j bunny 2000

j bunny 2000 TRIBE Member

wow..
    Seeing images like that makes my tummy do a flip flop. People must be pretty messed to sit back and let stuff like that happen. crowd syndrome in those situations can be so hypnotic that people believe they can justify their actions because everyone else is doing it ....i think a real man would have stepped up and done something in that situations ..instead of those pathetic losers who egging the situation on. I'll never understand some people!

jess

23. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

yep... theres even been interviews with security people who tried to reach teh women to help them but they were too deep into the crowd... couldn't get to them..

it happened so many times there.... the stories are hard to read

Cheers,
    Dave

24. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

a friend of mine went to mardi gras this year and took like 3 rolls of pictures. every second picture was of some girl/s showing their titties. it was crazy! not really my thing...can't stand that kinda trash!

25. scruffy1

scruffy1 TRIBE Member

I too find the picture hard to accept and feel sorry for the girl in the picture.

However, why would someone go to such a festival/event knowing that something as horrible could take place?

Obviously everyone has the "right" to do as they please but if I went walking in an extremely tough part of the city and then got jumped I'd definitely be pissed off. At the same time though I would also be mad at myself for allowing myself to be in such a bad situation.

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this....