1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

major labels slashing CD prices

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Sep 4, 2003.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Universal says a maximum price of 14.95 with 9.95 for new releases...

My mailbox is clogged with announcements from other labels doing the same type of slashing.

Its about fucking time, but like 20 years too late and not slashed enough.
  2. kat

kat TRIBE Member

heres what i just read on pitchfork

woa weird :D
  3. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac TRIBE Member

Who says crime doesn't pay? You steal enough music on the internet and BAM! They lower the prices to make it not worth owning outright.
  4. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

Will all the imports I want still be $43.99 at HMV?
  5. kat

kat TRIBE Member

yes..the "imports" from the states
  6. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

7. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

Might be too late, but for some, like me, this is what I've been waiting for.

It's about time that the labels realised that the price of CD's was a factor in declining sales.

I have no problem paying $10 for a disc. The time I spend downloading and burning a CD are worth more to me then $10.
  8. smilez

smilez TRIBE Member

I might be more inclined to buy a 10$ disc. but not likely. I''d still rather get it for free:p

9. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

Would that be Universal US or Universal Canada? Cause if you go to the Canadian site, there's no mention of this... it's quite possible that they only decided to slash the prices in the States.
  10. kat

kat TRIBE Member

i havent downloaded music in well over a year

i still buy music..so shush you too laters
    i like owning the actual album rather than a blank cd with marker all over it

and wohoo for me
  11. vveerrgg

vveerrgg TRIBE Promoter

soulseek ownz!
  12. lok

lok TRIBE Member

yeah seriously. it'll be nice to buy CDs just because, rather than making strategic selections.
  13. :rolleyes:

to the "responsible citizens"

14. Vote Quimby

Vote Quimby TRIBE Member

For me it's a question of value. What costs less. The time it takes to DL and burn or the CD? If the price goes low enough, the CD wins.

It's not about being a reponsible citizen, just value.

Of course nowhere did they address the crappy music they still mass market.
  15. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Exactly. The problem isn't JUST the price of the cd's.
  16. You're exactly right.

However while Universal is being smart, there's no mention either that the chains that sell their music are going to balance off the prices of the music fairly. I don't count on HMV bringing down prices to a reasonable level anytime soon.

When are they going to do the same with DVD's I wonder.
  17. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

I'll still download!
  18. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

I usually buy CDs of artists I truly respect and want to contribute to their sales...

So this makes no difference to me.
  19. Silvershadow

Silvershadow TRIBE Member

Doesn't look like it applies to us... I'm sure it's just a matter of time, but for now HMV and the likes will still be gouging us, I'm afraid.
  20. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

They say the Decline in sales is due to Dwlding I say it's down to Shitty Music. There isint a single album I've wanted in the past 2 years! I barley listen to the radio in fear of hearing the same songs over and over.
  21. DJ_Science

DJ_Science TRIBE Member

My brother and I were talking about the price of CD's a while ago. He mentioned to me that he had been following a lawsuit filed in the states against the music industry. Apparently, there was a class-action lawsuit brought against the industry for price-gauging for the past 20 years.

A US court ruled in favour of the lawsuit and a large group of record labels were ordered to refund 20$ american to anyone who wrote in and asked for it.

Does anyone know anything more about this? I would love to read an offical article about this.
  22. vveerrgg

vveerrgg TRIBE Promoter

I took the money I would've spent on a year of CDs and bought a Yepp yo-30sh

the thing can hold 128 megs of music...
    - which is about 20 songs at the 192bitrate good enough for just over 70 mins of music. perfect for cruising around the city. So now I download CD's pick the songs I want and go.... i'd rather constantly shuffle in music here and there then have to burn disks.

plus the thing is the size of a pager! :eek: AND you can buy it off ebay or online refurb.d for about $100can.
  23. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Are you using a atari with a 1400baud modem? :)

Cause I can download and burn a CD in less then 20 minutes. Actual work is only about 2 minutes, the rest is download time(at its slowest)
  24. kat

kat TRIBE Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if youre complaining about that a lot of albums nowadays suck, and the artistic quality is crappy..then i would recommend this: stop listening to shitty music

if you like only the single then buy only the single!