Live to Air DJ Competition!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Zenmaster Chi, Jan 14, 2002.

1. CC

CC TRIBE Member

if you can't show your talent in 20 minutes, you can't be that talented. true that you need a longer set to truly tell how good someone is, but in 20 minutes, you'd get a pretty good idea on talent.

and how would you have a whole bunch of djs in a dj competition if everyone had tons of time?!

CC

2. Chiclet

Chiclet TRIBE Promoter

Yes, yes.

This guy needs rythm, timing, and a better sense of key changes.

3. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

And no, it's not cuz I hate hip-hop [​IMG]
    I used to spin it, and this guy has no style or sense of beats [​IMG]

4. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

oud think the hip hop djs would have an advantage over the trance or jungle djs at showcasing skill in 20 minutes.

p[l]a+0

5. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

exactly.

the only music i judge is music i like or used to love, hence why i feel i can judge it better than someone who just doesnt generally doesnt like it.
    i find i can build arguments agianst it much better and comprehensive in such a way.

oooh...ragga...

p[l]a+0

6. Chiclet

Chiclet TRIBE Promoter

It depends.

I think Satori could wipe the floor with all of these guys in 20 minutes spinning tech-trance/trance.

Didn't Bad Boy Bill win the DMCs with Booty House?

The guy that's on now must be completely tonedeff!!!!!!

Argh!

Helloooo trainwrecks.

7. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

ok, the guys that are about to come on are about to suck.

8. Zenmaster Chi

Zenmaster Chi TRIBE Promoter

15 minutes is rough to work with. In terms of criteria though, the marking scheme is broken up into Presentation, Technicality, Flow, Crowd Response, and a General score.

Technicality has two different sets of criteria. DJ's had to declare if they were turntablists or mixers. There were about 6 sub criteria within each header.

Unfortunately, there aren't that many serious DJ's at Laurier. In fact, I'm surprised there were so many that applied. Last year, we only had 4!

Anyhow, hopefully there'll be a stronger field next year.

*crossing fingers*

peace.

p.s. Does anyone know if you have to be a York Student to enter the York DJ Competition?