Let's talk about Apu...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by jungleboy, Jan 21, 2002.

1. DJ Doublecross

DJ Doublecross TRIBE Member

A fair statement, I wouldn't argue with it. It's odd because to me, once you get your first glimpse of the how the world might "actually" work, you start to question everything and you can't stop... you need to constantly expand your knowledge of how society operates... not unlike the Matrix.

However, it's not that hard to get your first glimpse that everything is not as it seems... so why do so many people choose to stay ignorant? According to the Matrix, "these people are not ready to be unplugged." But why the hell not? What's stopping us?

It all goes back to my theory that the world would go to hell in 60 days if everyone became "aware" and had the drive to find out more about the world around them. I think it's relatively necessary that large portions of the population remain servile and malleable. But that doesn't answer my question: why do people naturally gravitate towards laziness?

Rob

2. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I disagree. The way most people handle information is to integrate it into existing schemes (representations of the world or concepts). This is the reason why when people have an initial supposition, they tend to note the information that proves their beliefs rather than disproves them (you need not look further than this thread for evidence of that [​IMG] )

The obvious answer is to say that it's easier to live that way, but I think another important and often overlooked consideration is that people tend to have their views or ideas changed when they have been given a poignant experience to challenge them, and that doesn't necessarily happen to everyone at the same rate.

This is a sad but valid point that I agree with. The unfortunate truth is that there are some people who whether by disadvantage of genetics or socioeconomic position or environment will be able to get to certain levels, no matter what the idealists may say about being able to do whatever you want.

3. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

nice thread.

4. [EmPress]

[EmPress] TRIBE Member

well i'm not sure what exactly your point is here , went way over ny head but hey "just like the tribe board" i guess!

When i say "WE" or "Us" i think it is quite apparent that i am referring to yes "Us" us a human race or "we" as people, appose to dogs or birds, I think that was quite apparent though!

*L*

5. [EmPress]

[EmPress] TRIBE Member

^^^^ Look this whole subject has got me so riled up, even my spelling and typing is starting to suffer!

6. InFa

InFa TRIBE Member

Are you trying to say that it would be funny if Jews were portrayed with stingy stereotype or blacks had big lips. Listen Mr. I don't know where you get these crazy stereotypes from... but they are just not true... are they?.. buahahaha boy that would be funny if they were.

Love, the Red Headed, Firey Tempered, Alcoholic Scot/White bread Canadian. [​IMG]

7. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

I haven't read all this thread, but its' funny.

And yeah... all Cops are fat slobs, that do nothing right? And sit on their asses and eat donuts.

The whole show mocks the world, that's it point is it not?

pr0nstar

8. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

The clued in hipsters get the point of the show....

not everyone...in fact...probably not a lot of people

ergo, I think one should be careful with characers like that on televsion...

it's not the biggest deal, there's posts saying I'm crazy???....its the Simpsons fans who are spazzing out!!!!!

if there was an East Indian played by a white guy on Alley McBeal who talked with that accent would you all be cool with it?

meaning...

if the show was not the clued in tv watchers choice would you be cool with it????
    if it happened not to be your favorite show???

anyways just wanted to start a fun thread....

bye

9. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Jungle you're a racist moron.

Sorry, but people who post stuff like you have make yourself sound like you're defending yourself and maybe your race.

But in the end you sound like the KKK type.

pr0nstar

10. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

the simpsons is a reflection of North American society..

any society, and every society, is racist.. period.. blacks, jews, arabs, east indians, asians and whites..

are all racist and equally so in my eyes..

for the simpsons to provide any kind of realistic portrayal of north american culture in the 90s it must be racist to an extent.. infact, it must reflect what north american racism is in the 90s..

100 years from now, the simpsons will be the worlds greatest asset as far as understanding north american culture in our time..

if you dont like it, change the channel..

neway, last time i looked there were not any race wars in north america, which is more than I can say for every other continent.. except australia..

"I wasnt brought here I was born.
    Circumcised, categorized, allegian sworn.
    Does it mean I have to take such shit,
    For being fair skinned, no.
    I aint part of no conspiracy,
    Im just you average joe.

Dont call me white,
    Dont call me white."

NOFX - Dont Call me White -
    Punk in Drublic

v..abstractdatatype

11. fleaflo

fleaflo TRIBE Member

But is'nt Dr Hibbert a satirical shot at the character that Bill Cosby played on the Cosby show? The fact whenever a situation arises, he avoids it by laughing that stupid laugh and then going about his business?

12. anticlick

anticlick TRIBE Member

I saw a great bumper sticker out in Washington State once... it had Apu's profile on it, and it read APU RULES.

*thumbs up*

Prawnstar, it's pretty obvious you have no idea what those three letters mean.

I suggest you edjumacate yourself before you open your mouth, son. There's a wider world out there than what comes through the two walnuts you call your eyes and gets processed in that walnut you call your brain.

13. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Pardon?

Can you explain yourself?

Are you trying to tell me the KKK isn't racist?

pr0nstar

14. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

I don't think people should be offended by the racial stereotypes being made fun of in The Simpsons as much as by how much the show has sucked the past few seasons.

15. tigresse

tigresse TRIBE Member

two points, first of all...i too am from the subcontinent. and many less recent immigrants are very accomplished simply because, they are the people that canada let in. and they were they people with the resources to get out. but, i can't ignore the many many recent immigrants that are highly accomplished and educated and forced to work jobs that are beneath their experience and education to support their families.

it isn't that i necessarily find the characted of apu offensive. although, i will admit that it took me a while to start watching the simpsons because i was put off by that stereotype.

rather, i found the people that were laughing at the stereotypes to be offensive. hearing people mock the accent etc.

which brings me to my second point...i agree with your second point. satire is only applicable when there social commentary and in order for there to be true social commentary, there needs to be real experience. therefore, to someone that has genuine experience with east indian people, apu functions as a character that makes fun of the "stereotypes" held by the masses. however, to someone without said experience...i think the character bolsters those same stereotypes.

ok, i lied. i have a third point as well. east indians are not a majority minority in north america. and there is not a representitive amount of east indians portrayed in the media (on tv, in movies, in advertising). i almost see myself as an invisible minority and as such (in this context) every negative stereotype seems like a step in the wrong direction.

16. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

in case you hadn't noticed, anticlick is our resident, published, 'expert' on racism. therefore, only he is allowed to decide what is racist.

based on his track record i'd say he follows these rules: if white people do it, it's racist, if anybody else does it, it's okay.

back to the topic at hand....
    look at the simpsons 'facts' about apu:
    - he has a PhD in comp sci
    - he loves his job
    - he has a sports car
    - he has an attractive wife and a happy marriage
    - he works hard to support his children
    - he has an accent
    - he has a job that is sterotypical of his race
    - he has remained true to his native faith

realistically, apu's accent is mild compared to many first generation indian immigrents. regardless he is extremely successful, he has an unglamourous job, no doubt, but he is in the career he choose!

apu's character is never used to mock people of indian descent, he is frequently used to mock and highlight the foibles and failings of the other characters.

he is argueably one of the most intelligent people in springfield.

if you watch one episode of simpsons in your life and only catch a glimpse of apu, you may draw conclusions that he is a racist sterotype. but that is incorrect, he is a well developed and multifaceted character who happens to be from another country. he transcends the sterotype.

i just don't see the problem, but then again, i'm white and therefore incapable of understanding the oppression i inflict just by being born. [​IMG]

17. Respect

Respect TRIBE Member

People like to throw those three letters around far too casually. It's like inserting the phrase "that sounds like what Hitler would do" when talking about dispensing ice cream.

18. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

I don't know why I'm getting jumped on.
    Just because I used one of the more well known racist groups?

But like I said the Simpsons is full of stereo typing... from the Geeky Professor to the Fat Cop to the Italian Mobsters...

pr0nstar

19. anticlick

anticlick TRIBE Member

I guess you're also not smart enough to realize that your analysis is somewhat negated by your defensiveness.

"Walnuts for all my friends!"

20. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

From discussion to directed criticism of individuals.

This thread is now DOLDRUMS.

21. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

OK, back to the topic I was wondering.
    Why was I being bashed at all?

pr0nstar

22. Respect

Respect TRIBE Member

Dude, I defy you to point out how jungleboy is like the KKK.

The way I see it, jungleboy is just voicing his point of view from his own experiences and perspective. I just think it'd be good if people can be more sympathetic to that sort of thing. That's all.

23. anticlick

anticlick TRIBE Member

The closest thing to a burning cross around here is Rosey's over-privileged sense of martyrdom.

*zing*

(I know taking to yourself is a bad sign, but I just couldn't resist!!!!)

24. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

What my views and experiences don't matter?
    Why is that? Why is he right but I'm wrong?

And I compared him to the KKK because they are a racist group of people. And they are preached about Pro-White, etc...

And like Rosey said, I hate when other racists are Pro-Race that they are not always considered Racist... Racist is a racist, simple as that.

pr0nstar I hate everyone equally!

25. Respect

Respect TRIBE Member

Originally posted by pr0nstar:
    What my views and experiences don't matter?
    Why is that? Why is he right but I'm wrong?

Come on, I never said that.

Did jungle just come out and say "kill all white people?" For goodness sake, he was just voicing an opinion on a stereotype. And for that, you compare him to the KKK? What the fuck?

And I compared him to the KKK because they are a racist group of people. And they are preached about Pro-White, etc...

And like Rosey said, I hate when other racists are Pro-Race that they are not always considered Racist... Racist is a racist, simple as that.

That's a tough one, for sure. Sometimes when you go through a lot in life, you become like the people who have hurt you. I heard somewhere that pain can turn to hate, and you wear that hate like old leather - pretty soon it becomes so comfortable, you don't want to take it off. Some people get better, others don't. You can disagree yet sympathize with that at the same time...

Still not clear as to how jungleboy is like the KKK, though. And I'm not being deliberately dense, either.