Let's talk about Apu...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by jungleboy, Jan 21, 2002.

1. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

...I thought he was talking about all of you actually....

2. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

Yes, but did Jerry Lewis make fun of everyone equally? [​IMG]

[​IMG]d

3. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

...see white people drive like this..deedooodoododum....

4. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

but the fact that the doctor is in fact a doctor says alot....the fact that Apu is a minimum wage store clerk does too...

5. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

but the ceo and head of kwik-E-mart is in fact an indian

so there goes your theory down the crapper..

thank you come again.

6. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

...hmmm...you see i understand the argument of everyone getting roasted, however...one needs to watch the show for a certain amount of time to pick up on that fact, as well as understand the sense of humor at work....

...on a straight viseral level...it is offensive to see...what are you supposed to tell someone..."oh watch the show a few times, then you will understand its not offensive..."....

7. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

8. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Lord we offer you this poor soul that knows little of the ways of the Simpsons. They may have been watching the last 13 seasons but they've completely missed the point... well.... you know the rest...

Amen

Kyfe <the Simpsons makes ppl aware of more social issues than the news evar could!

9. Lurch

Lurch TRIBE Member

"Ah, my old Squishee machine. And my scum bucket with fly!"
    "An all syrup Super Squishee? Oh, such a thing has never been done."
    "Are there any women here?"
    "Are you a beautiful woman?"
    "At last, I finally have a garment fine enough to be married in."
    "Back then I was known as the fifth Beatle."
    "Be careful when we capture him! We cannot claim the reward unless we have51% of the carcass!"
    "By the many arms of Vishnu, I swear it is a lie."
    "Don't you kids take anything. I'm watching you. I've got eyes in the bake of my head."
    "Each of these bullet wounds is a badge of honor."
    "Everybody to my place for blueberry squishies and microwave burritos."
    "He slept, he stole, he was rude to the customers. Still, there goes the best damned employee a convenience store ever had."
    "Here's a pointer. Try to take it in the shoulder."
    "Hey! Hey! Hey! I have asked you nicely not to mangle my merchandise. You leave me no choice but to...ask you nicely again."
    "Hey! Hey! Stop it, stop it! Conserve your precious hatred for the game."
    "Hey! hey! This is not a lending library! If you're not going to buy that thing, put it down or I'll blow your heads off!"
    "Hindu! There are 700 million of us."
    "Homer, you are asleep at your post! Now go change the expiration dates on the dairy products!"
    "I am selling only the concept of karmic realignment."
    "I'm Sgt. Pepper's Lone Heart's club v'an. I hope I will enjoy my show."
    "I have been shot eight times this year. As a result, I almost missed work."
    "I take it from your yelling that you like my tofu dogs?"
    "I won't lie to you. On this job, you will be shot at."
    "If you survive, please come again!"
    "In a few minutes, I tried to drink nectar out of Sanjay's head."
    "Listen, serving the customer is merriment enough for me."
    "Mrs. Krabappel, I haven't seen you since we doubled our prices."
    "Mrs. Simpson, I--I cannot go there. That is the scene of my spiritual depantsing."
    "My ceiling mirrors and video cameras sometimes see more than who is about to shoot me."
    "Nickel off on expired baby food."
    "No offense, but we're putting the bitch on ice."
    "Now this is just between me and you...smashed hat."
    "Oh, hello Mrs. Homer. I brought an assortment of jerky."
    "Oh, the searing kiss of hot lead. How I've missed you!"
    "Oh, the young man you replaced is rolling over in his grave."
    "Okay, don't try anything funny. I'm armed to the teeth."
    "Ooh, she's gotta have it!"
    "Ooh, they used nylon rope this time. It feels so smooth against my skin. Almost sensuous."
    "Oooo, a headbag. These are chock full of...heady goodness."
    "Please do not offer my God a peanut!"
    "Please throw the dice now, please, now."
    "Relax, please. You do not have anything I have not seen before."
    "Sanjay to the entrance with the Windex. Sanjay to the entrance with the Windex."
    "Shiva H. Vishnu!"
    "Silly customer! You cannot hurt a Twinkie."
    "Snap on your bulletproof vest, Sanjay, it's time for another bank run."
    "Stop him dead, little girl!"
    "Such a mighty wallop."
    "Thank you for coming. I'll see you in Hell."
    "Thank you for knocking over my inventory. Please come again."
    "There she is--the world's first convenience store! Surprisingly expensive!"
    "This is not as hot a party as I anticipated."
    "This store is open 24 hours a day. It puts great demands on my time."
    "Today, I am no longer an Indian living in America."
    "Tweeeeeeeeeee.....tweeeeeeeeeeeee."
    "Well, if you need money, you should have at least jammed a gun in my ribs..."
    "Will this bewitching floozy, seduce this humble newsie? Oh, what's a paperboy to...doooo?"
    "You can emerge now from my chips. The opportunity to prove yourself a hero is long gone."
    "You can really taste the Chutney!"
    "You ducks are really trying my patience...but you're sooo cute!"
    "You! Wandering mongrel! Get out of my Mom and Pop operation."
    "You're hired. Oh, how I dreamed the day would come when one of you would be working for me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some Apu Scenes (verified from the episode capsules when possible)...
    [7G12]
    Krusty: [holding a gun] Hand over all your money in a paper bag.
    Apu: Yes, yes, I know the procedure for armed robbery. I do work in a convenience store, you know.
    [7F18]
    "I've just enrolled in the screenwriting class. I yearn to tell the story of an idealistic young Hindu, pushed too far by convenience store bandits. I call it "Hands Off My Jerky, Turkey".
    [8F17]
    Apu: Snap on your bulletproof vest, Sanjay, it's time for another bank run.
    Sanjay: All right. But if I don't make it, promise you won't sleep with my wife.
    Apu: I promise nothing.
    [9F01]
    Homer: No offence Apu, but when they're handing out religions you must be out taking a whizz.
    Apu: Mr. Simpson, pay for your purchases and get out...and come again.
    [9F09]
    Apu: Poor Mister Homer. Could it be that my snack treats are responsible for his wretched health?
    Customer: Give me some jerky.
    Apu: Would you like some vodka with that?
    [9F21]
    Apu: [introducing himself] Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.
    Nigel: Hmmm. Never fit on a marquee, luv. From now on, your name is Apu de Beaumarchais.
    Apu: That is a great dishonor to my ancestors and my god...but okay!
    [1F10]
    Inspector: Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, you have disgraced the Kwik-E-Mart Corporation.
    Apu: But, sir, I was only following standard procedure.
    Inspector: Ah, true. But it's _also_ standard procedure to blame any problems on a scapegoat or sacrificial lamb.
    Apu: Uh huh, and if I can obtain for you these animals?
    [1F10]
    Apu: I have come to make amends, sir. At first, I blamed you for squealing, but then I realized, it was _I_ who wronged _you_. So I have come to work off my debt. I am at your service.
    Homer: You're...selling what, now?
    Apu: I am selling only the concept of karmic realignment.
    Homer: You can't sell that! Karma can only be portioned out by the cosmos.
    [slams the door]
    Apu: He's got me there.
    [1F10]
    Apu: There she is -- the world's first convenience store!
    Homer: This isn't very convenient.
    Apu: Must you dump on everything we do?
    [3F03]
    Lisa: Wow, a secret staircase. But what do you do if someone wants a non-alcoholic beer?
    Apu: You know, it's never come up.

10. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

...see aside from one or two bright posts...all you guys are saying is "well look at this character, or this one.." to prove he is not offensive....

well I'm looking at him....so they make fun of other people...its still wrong....

I don't think the amount of liberties taken with other characters automatically allows them a free hand....

11. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

Yes. If someone's dumb enough to judge a show with like a thousand episodes on one little tiny skit, then I guess they'd be sensitive enough to be offended by pretty much anything.......

[​IMG]d

12. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

damn hippie.

13. Lurch

Lurch TRIBE Member

out of all ^^^^^^ those quotes none seem too offensive to me [​IMG]

14. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

hello joe
    lets talk why not!

15. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

whacking day - an excuse to beat on the irish

"twas all in good fun."

[​IMG]

can you trust a communist?

[​IMG]

we can all agree everyone hated poochie

16. feisty boy

feisty boy TRIBE Member

yes, but out of all your posts, you've never really properly vocalized why you think he is offensive.

so back up your own argument first if you expect other people to properly back up theirs...

17. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

...its such an obvious sterotype of East Indian people...the voice....the job...I'm not sure what to say, it seems pretty clear to me...making fun of his religion....the Flanders family is a differnt matter complety and see my above arguments....

18. jungleboy

jungleboy TRIBE Promoter

...just because the Simpsons is leftist does not make everything ok...

...most of you guys are obviously obsessive fans who get in a snit if anyone makes fun of their baby...take a step back for a second....

....some news to consider...

...I did not pull this out of thin air, lots of people feel the same way...

...I'm not some madman....it offends lots of people...

19. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

ned - "homer, God didn't set your house on fire.

lovejoy- "no, but God was working in the hearts of your friends and neighbours when they came to your aid...be they christian, jew or miscellaneous."

apu- "hindu! there are 700 million of us."

lovejoy- "ah, that's super!"

20. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

is today your first day of being proactive or something? proactive being one of those hollywood 'buzzwords'....

21. feisty boy

feisty boy TRIBE Member

but simply something being a stereotype does not make it offensive. a stereotype is based on truths, albeit exagerated ones...

you can't simply say "he is a stereotype, therefore he is offensive, end of story"

look at it in the context of the show - a show BASED on exagerations, satire, biting political and social commentaries (at least in the good old days)...

22. joey

joey TRIBE Member

not really...

sure he has a point in them demaening apu and his heritage, but he fails to be able to admit that they are doing the same to all races and creeds..

it's not a one sided boat..

23. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Friend.

You are missing the point, if you want to take it to a deeper level fine, its a cartoon.

The Simpsons depicts many things wrong within society, as we progress forward the Simpsons educates us on diversity. There are many good things that are attributed to Apu, he represents an important demographic within the global population not to mention he's a vegetarian, and loving father of 8.

He is not segregated from society, unlike what North American culture generally does to cultures in other parts of the world.

For years we have ignored other peoples diversity and not celebrated the fact we are all different, now that we have a show where so many people from different walks of life live in harmony, you complain?

Man, I don't like the way I'm depicted on BET sometimes but guess what there are people of my race, culture and gender that justify aspects of those stereotypes.

Don't kid yourself there's an ounce of truth within each stereotype, but since your complaining about that segment of our demographic being poorly depicted maybe we shouldn't celebrate our differences good or bad.

Apu is one of the coolest characters on the Simpsons, would it be better if he was white, black or yellow? it's applicable just the same and thats the real message behind what you're watching.

Kyfe

24. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

a lot of it depends on the intention behind the character.

when jerry lewis portrayed the chinese immigrant, he was trying to make people laugh by ridiculing the stereotypical chinese accent and demeanor.

by contrast, when archie bunker said racist things, the writer was not trying to ridicule. in fact, the writers were using such blatent bigotry to make a point and help others to recognize and understand their own bigotry.

when it comes to characters like apu, the "very bad man" guy on seinfeld, and other characters that are obviously trying to make the audience laugh at the characters' voices and accents - it's natural that some people (i.e. very politically correct people) will feel offended.

25. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

very bad man = babu bhatt. he has a name dammit, will show some sensitivity! [​IMG]