1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Lawler & Coleridge @ Element

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by Ilia, Mar 2, 2001.

1. Ilia

Ilia TRIBE Member

Just a quick review before some much needed sleep, will post a more complete one later today. All that were present were treated to the stellar warm up that Matt Coleridge played which was then followed by about 4 well-delivered hours of Lawler. Now off to dreamland and then next on the list - Jimmy Van M tonight @ Breathe

Ilia

2. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

Lawler is sick. I don't know what convinced me that I should spend $20 on an event, but I did and I don't regret it at all.

I had heard him two years ago in Miami at the WMC and he bored the pants off of me. I think he was still searching for his sound then, but now it seems as though he's found his niche and found it well!

My ONLY complaint is that he played the first 40 minutes of his Essential Mix from last weekend to us (from Passion in Coalville, UK that was broadcast on BBC Radio One)... Of course he mixed it all and that, but all of the tunes were in the exact same order from his EM! That said, I still wouldn't have complained if he had played the exact same set because his Essential Mix was a blinder. His set here was much more of the same in terms of quality.

After about an hour in, he stepped out of the tribal funk tech stuff that had everyone moving and cranked it up a gear. From there on in it rose up and soared. He didn't let me down with one single tune.

He dropped the new Fluid tune (Tatoonie - 'Drums' as he was kind enough to show me the vinyl) and I think it was the tune of the night. People went fucking apeshit and started to bounce off the walls, all while people's ability to speak became useless because of the sheer awe they were in as dribble spewed out of their mouths. He turned the crowd into mush, pureed (sp?) them, and then baked them into a cake. It was something to hear and see.

I can't say how privaledged I feel going to this event in such a wicked and intimate venue like Element.

I hope they choose it again. I gather Steve really enjoyed himself and thought the crowd was the mutts nuts - to which I'd have to agree.

I fucking love Element. They could play Britney there and I think the crowd would still make it good. Vibe seems to be part of the door price... Maybe that's what I paid $20 for! [​IMG]

I can't wait for two months from now. Bring on Lawler!

Kudos to Matt Coleridge for getting things warmed up nice and chunky. You did a great job Matt!

Cheers,
    Jay K.

3. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

Nice review Jay! Lawler brought the roof down in a truly world class event. Shouts out to all the TBK in attendance, and a special shout out to Matt Coleridge for getting things started proper.

4. lift

lift TRIBE Member

my head hurts.

5. fleaflo

fleaflo TRIBE Member

firstly, a moment of silence for mis amigos not in attendance. Libradragon, Suke, and ChrOme. You guys were missed [​IMG]

Do any of you know how much I love tribal music? Do ya, huh, huh? I can count on one hand the number of dj's out there that drop it consistently.

ONE HAND!! Are you people fukin insane?

Lawler...*sigh*

Im speechless. I was his dancing, trainspotting bitch all nite long.

Coleridge, blew it up and had the crowd hype, hype, hype to get it all started right.

flea [​IMG]

6. Smiley Jo

Smiley Jo TRIBE Member

Hey Flea!
    Glad yo didn't miss me!
    Now I don't feel guilty... [​IMG]

Tee Hee!
    Joanna

7. Suke

Suke TRIBE Member

I'll be at the next one ------------------> Suke.

8. markscaife

markscaife TRIBE Member

9. fleaflo

fleaflo TRIBE Member

Oooooops! And Smiley Jo too, who promised on 'my grave' that she would be there. Thanx! [​IMG]

P.S. Thanx for the poster Mike!

flea [​IMG]

10. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

Did anyone else want to become a movie star when they walked out of Element in slight worse for wear disrepair?

Apparently the movie they were shooting just outside of Element was being directed by Danny DiVito and starred Robin Williams.

As I understand it, they were actually walking around a bit on the street while we were screaming our heads off in Element.

We should have asked them to join the party! [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Jay K.

11. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

It's called "Killing Smoochie" and also stars Edward Norton, i believe...

@m.

12. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

One of the best DJ sets I've seen.

And to think he's going to do it all over again it two months! .... wow!

13. braykbeit

braykbeit TRIBE Member

I had soooooo much fun. I'm not so much into house, but that was some quality shit! And we got in free 'cuz no one was paying attention at the door when we arrived.

How 'bout that crazy Trisco "Musik" remix that he dropped at the end?

Fuckin' beautiful.

The crowd was so pumped it felt like a full-on party.

And yeah, Edward Norton was outside in the alley when we left... lookin' mighty fine.

It's really quite an odd experience to come face to face with a celebrity when you're whacked 'cuz you feel like you know them.

But you don't.

But you're high.

And they've been in your living room.

On TV at least.

And you're high.

So you say "Hi!"

And they smile and look at your dilated eyes like you're a retard.

And then the next day you are not sure if was real.

Damn.

14. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

That remix of Trisco's "Muzak" is Steve Lawler's very own.

15. braykbeit

braykbeit TRIBE Member

Very cool. Thanks for the info. Do you know if it has been released?

16. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

That muzak remix hasn't been released yet...

17. spoony d

spoony d TRIBE Member

did he drop the new re-mix of Star69 for you guys?

18. Smiley Jo

Smiley Jo TRIBE Member

YOU LIE!!!
    I said no such thing...
    My sis, you member?

Lafleche tomorrow?

Joanna

19. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

Actually, he did drop the X Press 2 remix of Star 69. Slammin'!

20. spoony d

spoony d TRIBE Member

When I saw him Friday he lit the place up with an seriously anthem heavy set, including Star69, American Booty, Luv you Some More, a new remix of How's your evening so far followed by a bridge, followed by a another mix of French Kiss. He was dropping bombs left and right. I think everyone was pissed when they shut it down at 7:10.

Out of curiosity, is "I'll Hide U (Creamer & K mix)" getting play in Toronto?

21. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

If anybody had it here it would...

22. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

spoony d, are you in NYC?

23. spoony d

spoony d TRIBE Member

yeah, I'm in NY... A card carrying Twiloite.

We get I'll Hide You about once a month (since the fall) from Digweed. DJ Three dropped it on Friday, I think at least one other Twilo biggie has let it slip too. I'm guessing it will be out pretty soon.

fucking massive track - you wouldn't believe the buzz that followed after the first time Diggers dropped it. 10 in the morning, and the house EXPloded. All anyone talked about for a month afterward was that one track.