1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Kevin Saunderson

Discussion in 'Techno Room' started by Nesta, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

What are your thoughts on his DJing abilities? I'd love to see him live.

2. lift

lift TRIBE Member

i've seen him twice. he's great at building a "general feel" to his sets. nothing too flashy, but really interesting solid grooves. being a progressive fan you might be more inclined to his sets than some others- not for the specific tracks, but again for the feel. hard to describe, really...

he's good.

3. tEkKiD

tEkKiD TRIBE Promoter

im not going to get deep into Mr. Saunderson...

rather just to say he is a big piece(landmark might you say?) in Electronica ....more being Detroit Techno.

he is the personification of SOUL.

[​IMG]

peace.

4. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

Well, I like the sound of that. [​IMG]

5. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

I've caught M. Saunderson twice now, once tag-teaming with Derrick May, and once spinning with Felix da Housecat, and have to say I REALLY enjoyed his sest both times. From my non-DJ ass, it was more about interesting track selection than being blown away by DJ skillz, but that's just what I pay more attention to.

For me, he's one of my "always see" DJs, if at all possible.

BBB.

Fuk yeah.

6. poker face

poker face TRIBE Member

I don't really care for his djing abilities. The last time I heard him was at Area 1 playing the same old techno tracks that dj's have been playing for years. And he wouldent stop doing the same kill the bass mixing over and over again. He was tight but he didnt do much for me.

Actually come to think of it I really havent heard too many dj's from Detroit that have impressd me.

7. Straight Up D Shit

Straight Up D Shit TRIBE Member

The perfect combination of detroit dark & detroit soulful....worth seeing even if it's just to hear him perform "Good Life"

8. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

He's been booked for many bad parties here in Toronto and I'm sure he would have been more into it if there was a better crowd.

9. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

I love this guy.

I have yet to see anyone imitate his style well at all.

Seen him once- and had an amazing night. I saw him sober too (ther personal Kevin Sauderson challange).

Cheers
    Tyler

10. erk

erk TRIBE Member

I think it was Kevin that had the Big Bop/Kathedral/whatever it's called now, in a frenzy with 3 or 4 copies of Lil' Louis' "French Kiss" back at some Transmat party a long while back. Does anyone remember that? It was something else.

11. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

Was that the Time:Space tour that Ritual hosted w. Aril Brikha, Kenny Glasgow, Derrick May vs Kevin Saunderson? If so, that was one of the most ass-rokkin parties I've ever attended.

BBB.

..my anus is quivering just remembering it.

12. tekno princess

tekno princess TRIBE Member

if you're speaking about the tag team with derrick may on 4 decks about 2 years back.... how could anyone forget THAT?!? [​IMG]

it was the first time i had seen these detroit gurus get it on, and i was totally blown away.... they played a killer set that night: one of the best i've ever witnessed... the energy these 2 exuded while spinning together was simply delicious....

however, every example of detroit techno i've been privy to since has left me sorely disappointed [​IMG]

i guess that's the price you pay
    after an encounter with saunderson and may

[​IMG]

13. erk

erk TRIBE Member

Yep, BBB that was the one. The Ritual party. The French Kiss madness alone made it worth it. And the rest of the lineup was top notch too. Cheap booze at the bar if I do recall...

14. tEkKiD

tEkKiD TRIBE Promoter

that was Detor/Ritual party....

hands down, one of the best party's ive been too.

Aril Brikha was off the hook!!!

party was at the Reverb if i remember correctly, weren't there a few over doses at that party?????

15. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

Are you guys talking about that party that was the same night as phryls: LIVE party with Adam and Cari?

16. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

If they are, then no wonder i missed it....holy shit was the LIVE party ever a momentus event also.

@m.

17. derek

derek TRIBE Member

Yup the Reverb it was. I've seen Kevin several time (once with Intercity).

I have two copies of french kiss (Lil Louis) anybody interested in a copy?

Peace,

Derek

18. The Kid

The Kid TRIBE Member

What the hell?! *chuckle* What DJ's from Detroit have you heard?!

19. poker face

poker face TRIBE Member

Well I have heard a lot and give props to them for being the inovators of techno. But most of them I have heard are pretty damn sloppy these days. Also their track selections are not what I like to hear from techno. Example Derreck May and Jeff Mills are sloppy as hell. They have done a lot for the scene but as dj's they kill me. I know most of you are going to jump on me for that but there are a hell of a lot better techno dj's out there then these guys. Personally I think the techno dj's in Toronto can kick their ass any day.

20. Straight Up D Shit

Straight Up D Shit TRIBE Member

21. tEkKiD

tEkKiD TRIBE Promoter

:mad: :mad:

thats his style dude.I guess when you have 3 decks rolling, and a working a 909 within a set....records do tend to run off a bit, but of all dj's he rectifies it dude.That's fine your entitled to your own opinion, IMHO he will and always be the best techno dj in my books...respect.

peace.

tEkKiD <---- mills is god. ;)