Julien Donkey-Boy is one **** FUCKED **** up movie !

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by patri©k, Jan 29, 2002.

1. patri©k

patri©k TRIBE Member

Alright.... I just finished watching this movie called 'Julien Donkey-Boy'. It was done by Harmony Korine... the same dude responsible for 'Gummo'. Anyhow, this has to be one of the most impacting films I've ever seen. Ewen Bremner does a tremendous job of playing the role of a schizophrenic (Julien). The cast also includes Chloe Sevigny (Gummo & Kids) and Werner Herzog.

This movie is a fascinating journey into the mind of an adolescent schizophrenic. Living with a family who is troubled enough as it is. The father is MESSSSSSED UP... there is no mother (died giving birth), a brother who is trying to become a wrestler (Chris), a sister (Laura) and the grandma and her dog.

Julien kills a kid in a forest cuz he won't let him have a turtle, the father hoses his son down outside in the cold to make him heavier, retarded poetry, wrestling in a bra and headband, gold fronts, a babys death and one reaaallllly messed up finale make this movie one, if not THEE... most messed up flick I've ever seen.

You thought kids or gummo was messed up... you gotta check out this flick.

.... i don't feel right, even now.

I thought the guy was a real schizo until I watched the extra features... amazing acting.

The cinematography is unreal... they use hidden cameras to catch sincere reactions from people and the dialogue is crazzzzzy.

fattyp gives this movie FIVE STARS !

check out www.juliendonkey-boy.com

fattyp©2002

2. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

i rented it 'cuz the name was interesting and it had received a bunch of awards (or at least nominations)

and yes, very interesting and well done. what's with the director and bathtub scenes?

--craig

3. Illogistix

Illogistix TRIBE Member

You failed to mention that this movie was entirely shot under the "Dogma 95" guidelines. (I think that's what they call it).

It was invented by two European filmmakers, in which they are limited to very strict rules in making a film.

I.E. There can be no additional lighting, no soundtrack, no props, other than what is already found on the shooting site.

There are a bunch of other "rules" that the directors must try not to break - in attempting to make a very "raw" film.

Highsteppa might know more about this.

Another example of a movie shot this way is "The Celebration."

4. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

The Dogme guys say he cheated. Chloe Sevigny's character is supposed to be pregnant and wears a prop to swell the appearance of her belly.

5. Illogistix

Illogistix TRIBE Member

9000-

Ya - I think its impossible to do it without cheating a bit.

The directors are supposed to "confess" after, saying where they cut corners and broke rules.

I saw this film at the T.I.F.F. and that's what he said....

6. aether

aether TRIBE Member

http://www.tvropa.com/tvropa1.2/film/dogme95/

von trier's 'the idiots' is supposed to be dogme 95 as well. (von trier did dancer in the dark, breaking the waves)

the 'black albino' scene from julien is incredible. and then there's that damned guy with the cigarettes..

7. patri©k

patri©k TRIBE Member

...... straight from Alabama.... and you know that I'm a.... LOL.... that's some crazy shit.

as for the dude who eats those 12 cigarettes while they're lit.... MESSED ! .... I think I've seen him on Just For Laughs or something like that. Talk about mouth cancer... sheeesh.

fattyp©2002

8. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

i really liked this film.

but i watched an interview with harmony korine afterwards, and he said he based the character that ewan bremner played on his uncle who is schizophrenic, and that he wanted to show 'the horror' of living with schizophrenia.

i have a relative who's had pretty severe schizophrenia for years. it didn't sit right with me, and i can't quite put my finger on it.

9. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Site link didn't work.

Where can I check this movie out?