1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

it makes you wonder...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Rosey, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

canada is such an insignificant bug in the eyes of the states.

the chretian-bush meeting and comments are on the front page of every canadian newspaper.

there is not a single mention of it on cnn.

why? do we totally not matter to the states? :confused:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

FRIENDSHIP, n.
    A ship big enough to carry two in fair weather, but only one in foul.

The sea was calm and the sky was blue;
    Merrily, merrily sailed we two.
    (High barometer maketh glad.)
    On the tipsy ship, with a dreadful shout,
    The tempest descended and we fell out.
    (O the walking is nasty bad!)
    -Armit Huff Bettle

3. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Not that I believe in denial, but saying things like this out loud, only indicate that we care.

It's like the little kid in school who asks the popular kids why they won't be his friend.....who cares. I'm happier just knowing that the country I live in is way better. And I have my own friends.

Ming.

4. bucky

bucky TRIBE Member

sorry for the lack of attention America JR :p

5. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

I think you have to think of it in terms of the United States, or an American. Does Canada really matter on a global scale, or better yet matter to me?

Sure we have had our days, peacekeeping, Land Mine Treaties, our anti-nuclear stance, and other political charges.

But besides our latest adventures in Afghanistan, I would have to ask what have we done lately? Besides what I mentioned?

Canadians just have to accept that the US will always be 'US centric', at which Canada is a minor partner politically. We use the states for protection, trade, media, fashion, the list goes on and on.

Canada's biggest asset is that we are the US largest trading partner.

Even then its more take than we give, therefore if they want something they get it. We are a "raw-resource"" provider, they make the goods. Simple economics our labour is more expensive.

Can you blame them, or us for this unequal relationship, its a market of close to 300 million people, we are what just barely over 30 million. Not much to bargain with if you ask me.

I'm envious of US in many ways. They have a tremendous sense of identity, their economic machine, patriotism, politics, place in history, controversy, etc. Seems that we "Canadians" get patriotic only during athletic competition, and national referendums. However that being said, Canada is my home.

Do I care that we are not mentioned on CNN? Besides our commitment to the "War on Terror", no not really.

We don't have a beef with the US and they don't have a beef with us to bring our little nation to their headlines, unless you count the lumber dispute right now. Get used to the idea we will always talk about them, they just wont always talk about us.

I guess in a way they are that popular kid everyone loves to their face, but talks about behind their back whenever they get the chance. Or maybe that's just a bad analogy altogether!

Chris.

6. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

If your American does Anyone else matter?

7. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Exactly

8. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

the american president meets with way more foreign leaders than the canadian prime minister, ESPECIALLY since 9/11.

meeting chretian isn't really worthy of big headlines. he's just one in a long list of foreign leaders waiting for a meeting.

9. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

i'm not saying it should be big news in the states, but combined with the strong condemnation of the situation in zimbabwe, and the fact that 500 of our boys are teaming up with 100 of theirs to kick al-queda butt right now. i would have thought that there would be SOME mention of it. there was nada. zip. zilch. i searched the site. :confused:

10. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

the only thing that matters to america is: (1) america, (2) fighting 'bad guys'

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Good points ChrisD.

*Donning anti-flame suit*

I welcome the day that Canada joins the US in its monetary policy a la Euro and labour movement becomes fluid. Right now, capital can follow labour, but labour cannot follow capital, which keeps standards of living from becoming, well, standardized.

It's mostly a response to the Mexican part of NAFTA, but a European model would be so much more beneficial to Canadians. We just have to surrender much of our sovereignty, but I'd be cool with that.

Cuz right now, Americans don't think of us as anything more than an extension of the US. Kinda like Alaska, but bigger.

I would love to be able to work freely down there.

12. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

if canada becomes more americanized, i'd probably pack my bags for australia or new zealand -- america is only cool if you're rich, in which case its very cool -- if you're poor, fuck you.

13. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

i would be worried if nixon had liked trudeau: