1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Irish drum'nbass face off

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by rentboy, Aug 16, 2001.

1. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

I hit 2 drum'n bass events in Ireland:

Switch in DUBLIN and Shine in BELFAST.

SWITCH

VENUE:A weekly Friday night event set in a cellar-type venue...very cosy indeed.
    MUSIC:Wicked anthem-free sets...i was impressed with the mixing skills and the overall mix up of all forms of drum'nbass was refreshing.
    CROWD: Very friendly...everyone on the dance floor was going nuts. I met tons of people... i was standing at the bar and some bloke came along and bought me Tequila shots...then he continued to introduce me to his mates then threw up all over the bar...they were all shit-faced.

SHINE
    VENUE: Set in the student building of Queens University in Belfast...3 floors with Drum 'n bass(all locals), Josh Wink on one floor and UMEK on the 3rd floor.
    MUSIC: Again, really good sets...well-mixed and touching on all styles... i was chatting with all the DJS and they're all closely connected with CALIBRE.
    CROWD: Almost anyone i talked to who was dancing was from another country... i don't recall meeting an irish person that was dancing...very sad.

Overall both nights were good but i still love Toronto's jungle scene... we really do have a solid setup...don't ever complain again.

peace
    Chris

2. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

i won't.........well maybe a little [​IMG]

3. xopus

xopus TRIBE Member

I had the pleasure of seeing Dj Dara at Switch during the xmas break last year. Probalby the best club night ive been to. I didnt even know Dara was playing till he steped to the decks. Definatly one of the friendliest crowds ive seen.

I want to go back to dublin so i can check out this night again.

max

4. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

I really like where SWITCH is situated...the Temple Bar district is very lively at night.

I was most impressed with Dublin...very cosmopolitan.

Chris

5. DJ JayMcC

DJ JayMcC TRIBE Member

Dublin's Mad [​IMG]
    I should know, I grew up there.
    I seen Grooverider at the Kitchen when I was back in '97. The crowd was going fuckin' mental. Hollers of G'wannnnn, all round [​IMG]

6. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Yeah, there use to be a night at the Kitchen called Quadraphonic.

They use to bring people like Grooverider, Goldie, and Storm... There doesn't seem to be a night like that there anymore. I wonder why they stopped that night.

Chris